Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 FN Five-seven 
 Post subject: FN Five-seven
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:06 am 

Hi Everyone,

I hope that I'm posting in the correct forum, I'm still pretty new here.

Does anyone shoot the FN five-seven? I'm wondering if any of the indoor ranges are leery about you shooting this at their place. I've read on some boards that it may be the case, in other states at least, due to the claims of it's penetration.

Thanks !

Riz

Last edited by Riz on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:23 am 
Longtime Regular

5.7 x 28mm

It is chambered in the FN Five-seveN and the FN P(S)90.

The armor piercing rounds are only available to LEO and military and the supply is tightly controlled.

The bullet is actually .223 in diameter and can be re-loaded with many of the same bullets used in AR-15's.

Here's a couple links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7_x_28
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_57886949
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/fnh_091106/
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_re ... sg_021207/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thanks Dean!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:29 am 

I JUST found that at the same time you posted your reply! Thanks again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:19 am 
The Man

I've shot one a few times at BPR; lots of folks like to share. They're interesting guns -- very low recoil, high capacity mags (twenty rounds?), and very accurate. I'd certainly accept one as a gift (and I do have a birthday coming up, in case somebody's shopping), but I wouldn't carry one, and not just because I'm more of a wheelgun guy.

Firstly, when it comes to issues of stopping an attack, I'm definitely a Facklerite; I don't think there's really a lot of reason to doubt that, as far as handguns go, a Great Big Bullet is better than a smaller, more energetic one. Beyond that, the most prominent proponent of the Great Big Bullet is a honest guy, who uses real science; the most prominent proponents of the small fast bullets, to be generous, use junk science and at least may have fudged their data. (And let's not get into the mythical goat tests.)

Secondly, overpenetration is a real thing to worry about with the FiveSeveN; I'm unpersuaded that the "civilian" rounds won't go through an attacker and then GhuKnowsWhere.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:35 am 

I definately agree, my primary carry guns are .45s, with the warm weather ones being .38/.357 wheelguns. (or real warm weather one of my Kel Tecs!) but I just like the oddity of the FN. It would be a fun thing to shoot I think, and more importantly to me, a fun thing to just "have".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I agree
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 am 
The Man

Riz wrote:
I definately agree, my primary carry guns are .45s, with the warm weather ones being .38/.357 wheelguns. (or real warm weather one of my Kel Tecs!) but I just like the oddity of the FN. It would be a fun thing to shoot I think, and more importantly to me, a fun thing to just "have".
Oh, absolutely. I can say from a little experience that it is a fun thing to shoot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
I'd certainly accept one as a gift

That's how I got mine.

As far as the overpenetration issue, the round is designed to upset as soon as it makes contact. Most of the weight of the bullet is positioned in the rear of the projectile so it "tumbles" once it enters. The SS195 is said to to behave ballistically similar to the SS190 duty round. The SS197 round uses a 40 gr Vmax ballistic tip and probably will not tumble like the SS195.

It seems to be establishing a pretty good track record as many LEO units have adopted it. I occasionally browse the Five Seven Forum. There are some real zealots over there who can pontificate on the merits of the system for days on end.

SS195

SS197

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

My PS90 is a joy to shoot. High capacity mags, low recoil, low noise (the first time I fired it I thought it sounded like a really loud staple-gun) and accuracy that isn't too shabby.

The one thing I thought was a little hard to get used to, though, was the reflex sight. Under certain lighting conditions it doesn't play well.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:18 pm 

DeanC wrote:
as far as the overpenetration issue, the round is designed to upset as soon as it makes contact. Most of the weight of the bullet is positioned in the rear of the projectile so it "tumbles" once it enters.

The DC-10 was DESIGNED to be a safe airplane, but that isn't what it actually WAS.

To quote somebody who actually sells stuff to the DoD, the 5.7 mostly goes straight through and doesn't do diddly squat otherwise.

The only round I have heard of that reliably tumbled was the Dragunov "special" WWII sniper rounds that actually had a steel "striker" that moved upon impact inside the bullet and caused the projectile to tumble.

Besides that, I am a rather flagrant Flagerlite. (Was that a pun??) Anybody want to debate the merits one of those 5.7 bullets against a 300 grain 50 caliber hollowpoint Gold Dot?? Or a .355 caliber 115 grain Gold Dot bullet going 1450 FPS in a 38 Super that holds 18 rounds in it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:20 pm 
On time out

Its really just a .221 fireball revisited. I have heard that one diplomatic protection corp was issued them as supporting the home team, but did not keep them after an incident ourside Kabul where numerous Hajib's took MANY rounds to stop them after a roadside encounter. Now the information I got was second hand, as my friend who works for US DoS was telling me about it, but he was laughing while talking that these guys were acting more or less like it was a paint ball gun until they got a head shot. Apparently the director of the Diplomatic mission wanted to showcase the new "technology" but was stunned when they seemed to have no or little impact on the BG's until it was almost too late. Seems a bit of crank or what ever they steel themselves with before attacking seems to override the pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Seismic Sam wrote:
Anybody want to debate the merits one of those 5.7 bullets against a 300 grain 50 caliber hollowpoint Gold Dot?? Or a .355 caliber 115 grain Gold Dot bullet going 1450 FPS in a 38 Super that holds 18 rounds in it??

No, because it wasn't meant to replace one of those.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Its really just a .221 fireball revisited.

And which high-cap auto-pistol is the .221 fireball currently chambered in?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Seismic Sam wrote:
DeanC wrote:
as far as the overpenetration issue, the round is designed to upset as soon as it makes contact. Most of the weight of the bullet is positioned in the rear of the projectile so it "tumbles" once it enters.

The DC-10 was DESIGNED to be a safe airplane, but that isn't what it actually WAS.

Actually the DC-10 is a great aircraft. The big Chicago accident was caused by defective maintenance. It did have a few minor problems early on, but most aircraft have had some early problems.

FedEx still flies a bunch of them every night; they're work horses and if you talk to any mechanic that works on them, they say they're built like a tank.

Don't know anything at all about the 5.7!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:26 pm 

Yes, the DC-10 is fine now, but it wasn't to begin with. There was a critical flaw in the length of the lugs in the cargo locking door, and when one blew out it took all the hydraulic lines and the plane went down. A correction order went out, but in one case they made the lugs an inch SHORTER instead of longer, and that plane blew out and went down too. Then there was the maintenance accident in Chicago which had nothing to do with the design. It is a historical fact, however, that after all of this Douglas went to the trouble of entirely re-qualifying the plane from scratch to restore public confidence. At the time, I remember being reasonably scared whenever I got on one of those planes, and I was rather sceptical as to whether the re-qualification was real or just whitewash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:40 am 

Come check out the FN Forum if ya wanna learn more ( www.fnforum.net )

I have a PS90 that I absoluetly love. And, I also have a Five Seven. The 5.7 ammo is made to not over penetrate on hard targets. I got my Five Seven after my son was born. It is my nighstand gun.

WIth 197 ammo (the blue tipped ammo) - the rounds will penetrate less walls than a traditional handgun round. There was also some tests of the round out of a Five Seven handgun posted on my site - and it did better than I thought it would. Makes quite a hole, and penetrates pretty well.

There are some guys on my site that use it for a carry gun. I can't because the gun is too big for me to conceal.

Anyway - here is a pic of mine:

THE Best FN Forum!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.