Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Optimum Caliber for Pocket-Pistol (Semi-Auto, that is) 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I "cared" whether my gun was concealed or not I carried this:

Since the Heller verdict, I don't care if I'm seen carrying, so I sold the .25acp Baby Browning, pictured, and only carry my Glock 19 or SW model 66.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

kingjoey wrote:
you can get a Makarov for about as much as the HiPoint and it is light-years ahead of the HiPoint in terms of quality and durability. The 9x18 round has good stopping power and accuracy and the Makarov itself is legendary in terms of reliability.

Indeed. I have 5 of them. The OP would be welcome to try one, if he bought the ammo. IM me.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

White Horseradish wrote:
kingjoey wrote:
you can get a Makarov for about as much as the HiPoint
Really? Where?

I see them occasionally at Gunstop and Richfield Pawn. Normally running $180 or so, for decent specimens.

Alternatively, there's the CZ-82:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/handguns/cz-surplus/p/cz-82-czech-9x18-makarov-military-pistol%2C-good-condition-c-r-/cPath/16_155/products_id/1635

$200 + shipping and transfer, 9x18 caliber, smoother action and better barrel than the Mak, and 12+1 capacity. A bit fatter, for carry, but a lighter alloy frame.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject: Anyone From Here Going to be at Bill's Gun Shop & Range?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:34 pm 

Hello everyone...

Is anyone from here going to attend the "Annual Fall Shooter's Show" at Bill's Gun Shop & Range on Saturday, the 6th? I'd like to fire both a Keltec P-11 and PF-9 so I can decide which to buy. And while Kel-Tec may be at the show which, I'm presuming means I should be able to shoot their pistols with my ammo, I'd like to meet some friends from here and visit with them.

If you're going to attend on Saturday, please call me at 888-207-6898 or post here.

Thanks so much.

Brian

Post subject: Re: Anyone From Here Going to be at Bill's Gun Shop & Ra
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

USskeeter wrote:
Hello everyone...

Is anyone from here going to attend the "Annual Fall Shooter's Show" at Bill's Gun Shop & Range on Saturday, the 6th? I'd like to fire both a Keltec P-11 and PF-9 so I can decide which to buy. And while Kel-Tec may be at the show which, I'm presuming means I should be able to shoot their pistols with my ammo, I'd like to meet some friends from here and visit with them.

If you're going to attend on Saturday, please call me at 888-207-6898 or post here.

Thanks so much.

Brian

I went today otherwise I could have brought all 4 of my Kel-tecs for you to try. I picked up a nice Taurus PT140 Pro.

The P11 has been made for 10+ years and the gun plain works. It take Smith 3rd generation double stack mags in 9mm (59xx and 69xx), great size, full grip feel but long trigger pull.

The PF9 has been made for 2+ years and they have worked out the bugs. Only single stacked but works well when very few guns do. The grip is so darn thin but the grip works surprisingly for large hands like mine on the small and skinny gun. It has a much better trigger.

I have not had a problem with either gun with one ammo issue exception with Winchester Ranger 147 grain squared off FMJ ammo can nose dive into the feed ramp. 115 and 124 ammo works perfectly.

Most people who have had problems shooting Kel-tecs limp wrist them. I don't have a weak wrists. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: Well...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:07 am 

...I went to Bill's on Saturday. Talk about a lot of people!

This was my first time there and I'm sure it showed. But I managed to find my way downstairs to the range and to where the manufacturers had set up tables. Unfortunately for me, as I was wanting to fire both a P-11 and PF-9, Kel-Tec wasn't there. So I ended up putting 100 rounds through a Kahr PM9. (The store didn't have either the P-11 or the PF-9 for me to rent.)

Not firing any other 9mm guns there and having so little experience with these guns I'm not in a position to make comparisons with other 9mm guns. (Besides, I'm still getting used to the terminology....)

Anyway, it didn't take me long to get increasingly comfortable with the Kahr. But I would really, REALLY, like to fire a Kel-Tec PF-9 and P-11. If someone who has one or both and would be willing to meet me at a range and let me fire them, I'd be ever so grateful. Also, I'm sure I could use some veteran advice for my shooting technique as well as helping me be certain I'm using the gun properly. Also, holster experiences would be most welcome.

Otherwise, I've really appreciated the input here. And while I'm not as far along in gun knowlegde and ownership as I'd like, I'm not concerned. I have no desire to rush into the purchase and then the carrying. So, again, whatever assistance comes my way, I'll appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, now you've done it. Once you've shot the Kahr, you'll find the Kel-tec completely unacceptable. Believe me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yeah. If you want a compact DAO, and money is no object, Kahr is one of the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

the PM9 is .25" larger than a LCP in height and length. It's also a little thicker. Oh yeah, and it's a 9mm insead of .380. I've been spoiled borrowing my Dad's LCP for a few weeks. Now I have to get my own or the PM9.... I sens a range trip.

I shot the PM40 at the Bill's Shooter Show and HATED it. The PM9 on the other hand ... better trigger than the LCP, better caliber, now for some more range time to see how it goes.

If you're an NRA instructor, KAhr has a pretty sweet deal to boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:44 pm 
Journeyman Member

:oops: my 2 cents worth - I have a Kahr PM9 that I really like and has the smoothest trigger I've ever felt. I brought it to my 5-year permit renewal training and lucky for me used a practice target as I would have failed at accuracy - I had not practiced at the proper distance. Instructor Gene let me use a gun that fit my big hand and I shot a perfect score.
Lesson learned - the gun needs to fit the hand!!! If one has to use a gun for self protection you sure don't want to be trying to adjust your hand so your trigger pull is proper. It was an eye opener.
I still carry my Kahr sometimes but I do know it's and my limitations.
Find a gun that fits first - then figure out how to holster it.
Good Luck

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:10 pm 
Journeyman Member

Update - I traded my PM9 for a Glock 36 and I'm very happy with the new .45. I carry either IWB with a simple Uncle Mike or OWB with a leather Blackhawk paddle holster. Also an LCP in a pocket holster as backup. If you want a bearly used PM9 it's at Gander Mountain in Woodbury, MN. :D

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.