Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Ammo selection for 40 S&W 
 Post subject: Ammo selection for 40 S&W
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

How's this ammo... Fiocchi Extrema XTP: 180gr. XTPHP.

It was reasonably priced at the Cabelas down south. I need a factory round for SD/HD/PP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Some people don't like Fiocchi, and think it's cheap junk. I'm not one of them, and have never had a problem with it. I find it to be loaded a bit hotter than American loadings, which is all to the good, for SD ammo, IMHO.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject: Some bad 9mm long time ago
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:11 pm 

Quite some time ago they had some 9mm that was under powered and they had a recall. Ohter than that its good ammo.

The golden pheasant shotgun ammo is a premium product, I'd rank the pistol on the average to above average, comparable to white box or better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:31 pm 
On time out

I think they are good loads, like all manufacturers they have top line and budget ammo, some people tend to forget that, I think all of the major manufacturers top line SD ammo is going to be good. And they are a major small arms ammo maker.

On the costs of ammo, I have found that streichers and Cabela's both often have the 50 round boxes for what other places have the 20 round boxes for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:42 pm 

I've fed many different makes of ammo through my M&P40 without a problem except for Fiocchi. I bought a box and the gun wouldn't feed them at all.

I may have had a bad batch. I'm not that interested in figuring it out and just stay away from that brand for that gun.

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks guys. I picked up a box for 25.99. If she goes 50/50 tomorrow and leaves holes in paper I'll get another box, shoot half, fill mags and call it good.

Post subject: Re: Some bad 9mm long time ago
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

mmcnx2 wrote:
The golden pheasant shotgun ammo is a premium product

I really, really like the 3" 20 gauge loads.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:23 am 
Longtime Regular

At 25.99 a box, is that 50 or 20 per box BTW?

I am a fan of the Federal Tactical bonded or HST as they are a commonly used Police round and are subjected to a higher level of QA than much of the ammo available.

The price isn't bad either at $30 for 50 rds.

I haven't tried the Magtech but if it is the pure copper round I have heard interesting things about it but the Federal stuff has always worked for me so I think I will stay with it.

Let us know how the Magtech works out for you.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:18 am 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:
I am a fan of the Federal Tactical bonded or HST as they are a commonly used Police round and are subjected to a higher level of QA than much of the ammo available.

The tactical bonded is one of the best rounds on the market, the jacket is actually hexagon shaped internally and that's how it's bonded. The expansion is more than enough, while the HST's is over the top.

The bonded's will net you better penetration and weight retention when shooting through objects such as windshields or car doors.

When it comes to my pickings for carry ammo, my .40cal glocks are stoked with 155gr Gold Dots, 180gr Federal Tactical Bonded, or 165gr HST's.

Actually, about the only exception to these 3 loads is my .38 snubby which has corbon snubby rounds, and my P3-AT which is loaded with corbon 92gr. hp's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:32 am 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
jac714 wrote:

The tactical bonded is one of the best rounds on the market, the jacket is actually hexagon shaped internally and that's how it's bonded. The expansion is more than enough, while the HST's is over the top.

The bonded's will net you better penetration and weight retention when shooting through objects such as windshields or car doors.

When it comes to my pickings for carry ammo, my .40cal glocks are stoked with 155gr Gold Dots, 180gr Federal Tactical Bonded, or 165gr HST's.

Actually, about the only exception to these 3 loads is my .38 snubby which has corbon snubby rounds, and my P3-AT which is loaded with corbon 92gr. hp's.

What has been you experience with the CorBons?

I am thinking about making that change for my snubby as I have not been overawed with the Federal out of a 1 7/8" barrel.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:53 am 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:

What has been you experience with the CorBons?

I am thinking about making that change for my snubby as I have not been overawed with the Federal out of a 1 7/8" barrel.

I like them, though they are kinda spendy at about $1.20 each, but then again, how many rounds do you test fire in a wheel gun?

The 110gr. .38spl+p JHP is rated at 382ft.lbs & 1250fps out of a 2" barrel. The recoil is mild comparred to 158 semi-wadcutters over 4.1 of Unique. The one thing I have heard though is that the projectile Corbon uses doesn't get the best expansion. I suppose if you want that kind of speed out of a snubby though you need a projectile with less frontal area for a lower co.eff. ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Fiocchi Extrema XTP: 180gr. XTPHP. 50/50. Burned clean enough. Seemed very accurate to my untrained eyes and hands (2-4 in. 5-shot groups @ 25 yds.). I shot some weak-hand also... harder than it looks on T.V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:25 am 
On time out

Jeff I think the federal SHort barrel ammo is the top pick for the snubbie. i have a box you can try....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.