Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:01 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ethanol worse than regular gas for the environment 
 Post subject: Ethanol worse than regular gas for the environment
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:06 am 
Longtime Regular

From that conservative think tank, the U of M:

Quote:
U of M study: Corn ethanol no better than gas

MINNEAPOLIS -- A new University of Minnesota study finds that corn ethanol is no better than gasoline when it comes to fuel -- and may be worse for air quality.

The study estimates the economic costs to human health and well-being from gasoline, corn-based ethanol and plant-based ethanol.

Researchers concluded that ethanol made from switchgrass and other plant materials is far better than either corn ethanol or gasoline. The study examined life-cycle emissions of growing, harvesting, producing and burning different fuels.

State estimates say ethanol is a $6 billion industry in Minnesota.

Ethanol advocates say they haven't seen the study and will need time to understand how its conclusions were reached.

The university's study will be published in this week's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:43 am 

Wow...who would've thunk it?? I thought ethanol was our salvation?? Cost more to produce (per gallon), and gets us fewer miles per gallon?? Plus, and the state and federal subsidies to farmers to produce this?? Not to mention the cost of our corn and dairy products going up as a result of corn going to ethanol instead of cows, etc. Man....I'm just shocked :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

zimme71 wrote:
I thought ethanol was our salvation??
It is. I am partial to ethanol produced from barley and rye.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

I'd hate to see you drink alone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Conversion of fields to corn is also killing grouse and pheasant:

Quote:
Habitat loss, not the cold, threatens pheasants, grouse

You might think that with the harshest winter in a decade settled over the rural prairies and woodland that birds like pheasants and grouse would be in major stress.

But it turns out that the farm plow rather than Old Man Winter is doing the real damage, and conservation groups are plenty worried about a grasslands-destruction trend that started a year ago and continues unabated.

The frequent question asked of Pheasants Forever in St. Paul is whether feeding the birds can help them through the cold months. No, says PF spokesman Anthony Hauk, because corn piles and other feed centers will pull pheasants away from their natural cover and the aggregation of birds makes them easier predator targets.

"Pheasants can survive on seeds and berries under the snow," Hauk said.

Rick Horton, wildlife biologist with the Department of Natural Resources in Grand Rapids, Minn., said grouse do well in winter. The biggest problem is if a prolonged warm spell causes snow to crust, and any warming that's occurred hasn't come close to cause concern.

Conversions at a torrid pace
But plowing up grassland and even continued wetlands destruction is far and away the major threat to game birds and nongame wildlife, Hauk said, adding that grassland to crop conversion in South Dakota is at such a torrid pace that in 2007 and last year the equivalent of a mile-wide strip from Sioux Falls to Pittsburg was lost to the plow.

Ducks Unlimited (DU) of Bismarck said the lost grassland cover in North Dakota is equal to a three-mile-wide strip through the state from north to south. In 2007 alone, DU said 420,000 acres of grass were plowed under.

The problem is contracts for the Federal Crop Reserve Program (CRP) are expiring, and landowners are electing to opt out. CRP lands are where farmers are paid not to farm marginal lands, and the set-asides have been spectacularly successful in providing respite from decades of habitat loss throughout the Plains states.

However, as contracts expire the landowners are not re-enrolling, because recent spikes in agricultural commodities have been driving up land values; putting land into the CRP program is uneconomic.

It means much less cover for a spectacular variety of mammals and birds. For pheasant hunters it means significant reductions of hunting opportunities.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

And wow - increased ethanol production is causing a nitrogen dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico from the increase in fertilizer runoff:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,338950,00.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Environmentalists have known this for a long time.

This is just farm subsidy stuff. Probably nothing is more harmful to the environment than row cropping. The Great Plains are converted to desert all but about 8 weeks per year, when the roots from a monoculture may partially filter the rainwater and runoff. Hence dead zone.

The environmentalists never endoresed this, but the well heeled farm lobby was able to sell it as green fuel. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
<...> The environmentalists never endoresed this <...>

Quote:
We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

an interesting confluence of Ethanols:
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/full ... thanol-gas

Quote:
Sierra Nevada is installing an EFuel100 MicroFueler in-house to turn 1.6 million gallons of otherwise discarded yeast for brewing (yearly) into the source ingredients of what we're sure is a very, very tasty high grade ethanol gasoline

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.