Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:41 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Brady statistics 
 Post subject: Brady statistics
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:42 am 
1911 tainted

Interesting reading.

It seems that some of their facts and statements contradict each other.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/issues/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:21 am 
Longtime Regular

After having scanned the article: CONCEALED CARRY, CONCEALED RISK; State CCW Laws and Grades For 2003 I am quite certain that I have no interest in living in any state which they graded higher than a D. Just flip flop that ole grade chart A=F, B=D, C=C, D=B, F=A . . .. . and who wants to live in a "C" state anyway?

I also read the Myth of the Second Ammendment article, in which they say that the purpose of the Militia (who are the only citizens allowed by the constitution to have private ownership of guns) is to ensure that the government doesn't enslave the populace . . . and so were required to privately supply their own guns. However since the Government is now supplying guns to the National Guard, there really is no need for private ownership. They also seem to miss the punctuation in that sentence which seems to indicate that both a well regulated militia and the right of the people TKABA are neccesary to a free state.

Why is it that when I read Brady material it reads as if Jan Brady (Eve Plumb) wrote them as a Junior High "civics" class project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Bear in mind that Bush is NOT my most favorite President, BUT, this irks me......

"Despite his promise to renew the ban, President George W. Bush and Congress allowed the ban to "sunset" in September of 2004"

That statement is blatantly WRONG!! Bush promised to RENEW the ban IF it made it to his desk. It got shot down in Congress or the Senate and NEVER made it to Bush's desk.

and this: "The history of CCW, laws, why carrying concealed weapons does not make America safer and the gun lobby's efforts to push through legislation allowing virtually anyone carry a hidden weapon in public."

They don't address the 2.5 MILLION crimes prevented by CCW holders and legal gun owners.

and this: "Why a gun the home is a risk to your family. Examining the risk posed from keeping a gun the home, accessability by children and the gun lobby's efforts to defeat safe storage laws."

What about the crimes prevented by guns in the home?? Once again, that figure is not discussed or provided.

and this: "Despite an NRA infomercial that suggests Australia has a surging crime rate due to gun confiscation, the country's homicide rate is 15 times less than that of the United States"

What about the fact that Australia has a population of 15 TIMES LESS than the US and the FACT that guns are OUTLAWED?? On a per capita percentage, Australia's gun crime is equivalent to the US and yet, guns are not legal.

And the Brady Campaign addresses the Hollywood effects of the .50 Cal Rifle and yet, doesn't admit that they were made up eefects in the video.

Oh yeah, doesn't Sarah Brady carry ?? I've heard through the grapevine that she does. (no proof, though)

All of this was just from the Brady Campaign's first page. WHO KNOWS what lies and falsely manufactured information I would find if I really dug into their site. There were other questionable statements on that page, but I didn't feel like digging through all the web data concerning them.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Here's a quote from Sarah Brady;

"Our main agenda is to have all guns banned. We must use whatever means possible. It does not matter if you have to distort facts or even lie."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Gunflint, not that I don't think that advocates of anything will cook or distort statistics to support their position, but I'd like a link to where that quote came from. I have a little difficulty believing she would be so stupid as to say something like that where it could be quoted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:55 am 
Longtime Regular

I think it's inherent in human nature to "bend" the statistics towards their side. But, therein lies the problem of statistics, depending on the outcome one desires, one can always find the statistics supporting such or use only the ones that support their desired outcome.

I couldn't find much about Sarah Brady and her possible CCW, but I did find that she evidently did a "straw purchase" for her son.

"Sarah Brady bought a rifle as a Christmas present for her son, and actually had the nerve to write about it in her book, in which she whimsically reflected, "It seemed so incredibly strange: Sarah Brady, of all people, packing heat."

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude,
I'm a little shakey on hyper linking so you'll have to goggle healylaw.com then find second amendment quotes, from there scroll down to gun control. Be carefull you might end up spending a while reading some interesting quotes. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Gunflint, just a gentle reminder, some of those quotes are not actual quotes. I did one a while back on either this or another board and quickly got chastized. One link I found about that Sarah Brady quote had it as BS.

GunCite.com shows it as BS, but it's not the exact same quote as what you used.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcbogus_brady.html

As far as hyperlinking, just copy the url from your chosen site and then paste it into your post. The board will make it a clickable link automatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:02 pm 
Delicate Flower

http://www.restoringamerica.org/archive/second/brady_skirted_gun_laws.html

http://www.allsafedefense.com/news/Outdated%20News/SarahBuysRifle.htm

As for the CCW thing, I think they are mixing her up with her husband:
Quote:
"I guess I should say something to back that up. The Bradys and their organization(s) and political friends are trying to ban (one step at a time) guns, especially handguns in this country. But Mr. Brady has a gun. In a long article about the Bradys in the 1/91 issue of Vanity Fair, Mr. Brady said that he got it in case John Hinckley came after him again. Excuse me, but Hinckley was not after him in the first place. Brady wants to be able to protect himself, but does not want the rest of us to have that same right."

Full text: here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for the heads up. That was a long but interesting Read. From now on (when quoting) I will include the word allegidly, as soon as I learn to spell it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you want to be able to lie use statistics!!! You can make it say what ever you want it to say. :evil:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

One of my all time favorite books, published in 1954, is "How to Lie With Statistics", by Darrell Huff . Everybody should read it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039309426X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
If you want to be able to lie use statistics!!! You can make it say what ever you want it to say. :evil:

I have always referred to that as "making the numbers dance." :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, I suppose that Mark Twain (aka Sam Clemens) was ahead of his time with this quote:
"Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Autobiography of Mark Twain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Honesty is unknown in the world of Brady.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.