Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:42 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Smoking bans 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
1. People who CHOOSE to work in a smoking environment CHOOSE to take the chance and have NO RIGHT to complain to anyone other then their boss.

OSHA regulates exposure to substances as toxic as RUBBING ALCOHOL in the workplace. Why is cigarette smoke, a known carcinogen, exempt?

Should employers be able to submit their employees to any level of hazard they choose, since people can choose not to work there? Maybe, but it's not how things work now. Right now, workplace safety is highly regulated.

The fact that the dangers of cigarette smoke are exempted is an anomoly that is the result of tens of millions of dollars of lobbying by Big Tobacco.

Quote:
2. Second hand smoke is not a direct health hazard. It is more of a catalyst. If you are in it 24/7, then you have a very high risk of contracting problems (not 'only' or 'definitively', lung cancer). If your immune system is weak from a cold or you just being run down, you have a higher risk of having complications.

I'm afraid the whole medical and scientific community disagrees with you; they estimate something like 30,000 secondhand smoke deaths a year. What's your source?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Grayskys, I understand how you feel with being asthmatic. I don't have a problem with places CHOOSING to be "smoke free". Even I, as a born again smoker, have problems with people smoking at an entryway, such as Bill's North. I wish places would provide a better place for smokers to do so, but they don't. I still remember walking into my Avionics shop, filled with smoke and nobody cared. Even the simple request of an exhaust fan was met with resistance. Hell, all I wanted to do was get some fresh air moving through the shop. Fortunately, the Navy has changed it's ways since 1981/82 and now bans smoking in any part of an enclosed building. They DO have designated smoking areas, most of which aren't too smoker "friendly".

As a result of the metro area smoking ban, we don't do too much dining out or going out down there. We stick to counties that are still relatively smoker friendly. But I do agree with Pakrat. I think we're pretty much on the same page.

Andrew, that number is truly skewed. I had read accounts of deaths in Texas that were being associated with smoking, even though smoking had no direct correlation to their deaths, secondhand or otherwise. I'll dig around the net and come up with some references.

Here's some, so far: http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=12500

http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/second.htm

http://www.smokingpermitted.com/secondhand.html

Those are just a minor few brought forth with a google of "second hand smoke lies". I will not argue that smoking is bad for anybody and can affect some with second hand smoke, as Grayskys has attested. All in all, it's about sorting the truth from the fiction and choosing whome one cares to believe.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Last edited by BigRobT on Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://cleanairquality.blogspot.com/200 ... thing.html

Quote:
500 ug (OSHA safe level) divided by 3.3 ug (median reading [at]Applebees) = measured airborne nicotine* levels are 152 times safer than OSHA regulations ie. NO HEALTH HAZARD.
It is therefore impossible to implement smoking bans based on the argument that secondhand smoke is a health hazard, that argument has been scientifically proven false.

>snip< See charts at linked site

Quote:
OSHA itself has stated regarding secondhand smoke:

"Field studies of environmental tobacco smoke indicate that under normal conditions, the components in tobacco smoke are diluted below existing Permissible Exposure Levels (PELS.) as referenced in the Air Contaminant Standard (29 CFR 1910.1000)...It would be very rare to find a workplace with so much smoking that any individual PEL would be exceeded."

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

BigRobT wrote:
If a person chooses to work in a smoking place, so be it. They were warned and knowledgeable about the policy.
Should that same rule apply to working in an unsafe coal mine?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Aquaholic wrote:
http://cleanairquality.blogspot.com/2005/11/did-i-miss-anything.html

Quote:
500 ug (OSHA safe level) divided by 3.3 ug (median reading [at]Applebees) = measured airborne nicotine* levels are 152 times safer than OSHA regulations ie. NO HEALTH HAZARD.
It is therefore impossible to implement smoking bans based on the argument that secondhand smoke is a health hazard, that argument has been scientifically proven false.

>snip< See charts at linked site

Quote:
OSHA itself has stated regarding secondhand smoke:

"Field studies of environmental tobacco smoke indicate that under normal conditions, the components in tobacco smoke are diluted below existing Permissible Exposure Levels (PELS.) as referenced in the Air Contaminant Standard (29 CFR 1910.1000)...It would be very rare to find a workplace with so much smoking that any individual PEL would be exceeded."
The first quote states that the measurement involved shows there is apparently no health hazard from airborne nicotine, not that there is none from any of the other components of second-hand smoke.

What are the "normal conditions" referred to in the second quote? I know I've been (briefly) in places where even smokers left because they considered the air unbreathable.

OSHA has also refused to implement smoking bans despite being ordered to by the courts, so they're not exactly an unbiased source of information.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

All the health issues aside, the main point here is that the smoking ban is a personal freedoms and a property rights issue.

What next?

The goverment forcing you out of your home or business because it means more tax revenue for them? Too late. Happens all the time.

McDonalds? Oh yeah... some are already trying to sue them out of business too.

Alcohol? If MADD had their way. It could be easily argued that the second-hand effects of it are horrible (drunk-driving, fighting, crime, domestic abuse, family problems)

The meat industry? Sure. PETA doesn't like animal killers.

Guns? Nah... they'd never do that.

It amazes me how some people talk a good game when it comes to things they like that annoy others, yet turn into exactly the same whiny, I-know-better-whats-good-for-you-than-you-do types when something annoys them.

Don't like smoky bars? Go somewhere else. Don't force the owners out of business because once a week you want to have one beer on your way home, and you can't be bothered to go to a place already designated non-smoking (by the OWNERS CHOICE.).

Why weren't those places doing so hot? Because people found out they were boring with no one there. You see, even many of their non-smoking friends liked to have a smoke when they drank, so they felt left out. The answer? Make everyone do it myyyyy wayyyy. Pathetic.

rant off.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

SethB wrote:
BigRobT wrote:
If a person chooses to work in a smoking place, so be it. They were warned and knowledgeable about the policy.
Should that same rule apply to working in an unsafe coal mine?

Yep.

Ever worked the flight deck of an aircraft carrier?? Despite ALL of the safety training, personal protection equipment, and the likes, people still die and get injured there. War or not, the Navy works at a war-time pace, 24-7 while at sea.

I think this guy put it where it needs to be:

Quote:
Here is what is not at issue today: This is not about the rights of smokers to smoke in public. They are in an establishment someone else owns. Any bar or restaurant in this city may voluntarily go smoke free, and smokers would have no claim against them, except to take their business elsewhere. Indeed, more than 200 businesses in Washington, D.C. have done exactly that.

But this is not about non-smokers rights, either. You don't have the right to walk onto someone else's property, demand to be served food or drink someone else has bought, and demand that they serve you on your terms. Free societies don't work that way.

This isn't about worker's rights. The idea that the Washington, D.C. city council is banning public smoking to benefit the city's waiters, waitresses and bartenders is a canard. There are countless jobs and professions that are far more dangerous than serving food or drink in the presence of secondhand smoke. The people who choose those jobs -- cab drivers, fishermen, and police, for example -- take those jobs full-well knowing the risks. The health risks associated with secondhand smoke are debatable. But this simple fact isn't: A waiter or bartender who chooses to work for an establishment that allows smoking knows what kind of environment he'll be working in.

So what is this debate about? It's about freedom. It's about standing up to the healthists, those people who believe the state has not only the right, but the responsibility to police our personal lives for bad habits.

In this case, they want to trample on a business owner's property rights, on his right to reap the fruits of his investment and his labor as he sees fit, and on his right and the right of his patrons to freely associate with whom they please. Why do they want to do this? They say it's to protect the "public" from secondhand smoke. But exactly whom are they protecting?

Not the bar or restaurant owner. He could make the whole place smoke-free if he wanted.

Not the employees. They can work elsewhere. Or find a new line of work.

And certainly not the patrons. They're giving the bar or restaurant their business voluntarily.

The healthists aren't protecting anyone. What they're protecting is a "right" for themselves that they've fashioned out of whole cloth. They're fighting to get invited to the party, then make the rules once they get there. They want the so-called "right" to be self-appointed nanny, mother, rule maker, and rule enforcer for everyone else.

It isn't enough for the smoke-free crowd to merely embrace good habits themselves. They want everyone else to share those habits too -- by force if necessary. It isn't enough for them to simply avoid businesses that allow smoking. They want a king's fiat to make them smoke free, or shut them down.

Healthists value longevity over a life well-lived. Abstention over indulgence. They believe adding years to the end of your life is the primary reason for living.

I'd have no problem with that if they only applied those values to themselves. But they want to use the law to make the rest of us live by them, too.

This is Nanny Statist government. Its roots go back to alcohol prohibition. It is government that wipes your nose when it's dirty, tells you to eat your vegetables, and makes sure you're in bed by ten.

Entire article here:
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=062405H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

SethB wrote:
The first quote states that the measurement involved shows there is apparently no health hazard from airborne nicotine, not that there is none from any of the other components of second-hand smoke..

From the article previously linked:

* (As per air quality researchers) Nicotine is the only unique or "trace" chemical in secondhand smoke. If you measured for formaldehyde, the carpet and other interior sources of formaldehyde would corrupt the test result, formaldehyde is formed naturally in our atmosphere due to photochemical oxidation. Benzene is given off from burning foods in the kitchen or diesel exhaust outdoors so again a false reading would be obtained. Therefore, nicotine is the ideal chemical to measure for to determine secondhand smoke concentrations in the air. And then our comparison to OSHA guidelines is the logical manner in which to determine if secondhand smoke levels pose a health hazard, as you can see, they do not. If you wanted you could measure every airborne chemical in secondhand smoke and then also compare them to OSHA guidelines for that specific chemical, the results would be the same.

SethB wrote:
What are the "normal conditions" referred to in the second quote? I know I've been (briefly) in places where even smokers left because they considered the air unbreathable..

The bottom table is the actual St. Louis Park test results for 19 establishments of measured airborne nicotine* levels during busy evenings. You can see the median establishment, Applebees, had a reading of 3.3 micrograms ug / cu. M.

500 ug (OSHA safe level) divided by 3.3 ug (median reading Applebees) = measured airborne nicotine* levels are 152 times safer than OSHA regulations ie. NO HEALTH HAZARD.

SethB wrote:
OSHA has also refused to implement smoking bans despite being ordered to by the courts, so they're not exactly an unbiased source of information.

Convenient. Don't like the facts? Maybe OSHA didn't implement them because the facts don't warrant them? Can you say "legislating from the bench?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT: That's exactly what I mean, what I think, and what I know. If y'all couldn't tell by now, it kinda pisses me off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Aqua, one of the ealier links I provided said this:
Quote:
The forgotten chapter
Is secondhand smoke really deadly? Look at the facts carefully.

In summary, a bunch of tobacco farmers sued the EPA for deliberately suppressing scientific evidence that would have proven secondhand smoke not guilty of murder. In July 1998, South Carolina judge William Osteen -- a notably anti-tobacco judge -- ruled that the EPA's evidence against secondhand smoke was not found in the proper conditions. He found that:

The EPA did not do any new research. They simply aggregated the results of a number of existing studies into one "super study" from which to draw conclusions.

The EPA announced the results of their analysis before it was finished.

The EPA excluded nearly two thirds of the data from their analysis.

When they still couldn't arrive at the desired conclusion by ignoring most of the data, they doubled their margin of error.
Judge Osteen ordered the 600-page report vacated -- declared legally null and void. Secondhand smoke was the biggest scandal of the 20th century, and as far as I know, the Court's damning decision went totally unreported by the media.

The EPA was able to claim secondhand smoke causes cancer only after it cherry-picked information, changed the rules of standard statistical analysis, and tortured the data to fit its agenda.

In other words, if the EPA had followed its own rules and the well-accepted rules of science, it could not have concluded that secondhand smoke causes cancer. An objective observer looking at all the available evidence would reach very different conclusions from those of the EPA.

The American public relies on the government to provide fair, accurate, well-supported evidence in its statements about public health. Perversion of the scientific process to support a political agenda is a reprehensible violation of public trust.

"Aren't you aware that Osteen's ruling was ITSELF vacated by the U.S. Court of Appeals in 2002?"
It is true that the EPA appealed Osteen's ruling, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit granted EPA's appeal. However, the reason for granting the appeal was based on a legal technicality, not on the scientific merit of the Osteen decision. The Court of Appeals reversed Osteen's ruling based on jurisdiction, while explicitly affirming the importance of the issues raised by Osteen regarding the glaring deficiencies in the methodology of the EPA's fatally flawed report on secondhand smoke.

You should seriously question the credibility of anyone who refers to the EPA report, or any of the conclusions that it reached, as if they were facts. That includes everyone who calls secondhand smoke a "class A carcinogen." Once they do, every subsequent statement they make should be considered highly suspicious until it is thoroughly verified.

"But what about the individual studies? What do THEY say?"
Well, let's see.

"In general, there was no elevated lung cancer risk associated with passive smoke exposure in the workplace"
Brownson et al, American Journal of Public Health, Vol. 82, No. 11

"... an odds ratio of 0.91 ... indicating no evidence of an adverse effect of environmental tobacco smoke in the workplace"
Janerich et al, New England Journal of Medicine, Sept. 6, 1990

"...the association with exposure to passive smoking at work was small and not statistically significant"
Kalandidi et al, Cancer Causes and Control, Vol. 1, No. 1

"Among women exposed only at work, the multivariate relative risks of total CHD were 1.49 ... among those occasionally exposed and 1.92 ... among those regularly exposed to secondhand smoke, neither of which is statistically significant according to commonly accepted scientific standards"
Kawachi et al, Circulation, Vol. 95, No. 10

"No association was observed between the risk of lung cancer and smoking of husband or passive smoke exposure at work."
Shimizu et al, Journal of Experimental Medicine, Vol. 154

"We found no increase in CHD [coronary heart disease] risk associated with ETS exposure at work or in other settings."
Steenland et al, Circulation, Vol. 94, No. 4

"... no statistically significant increase in risk associated with exposure to environmental tobacco smoke at work or during social activities...."
Stockwell et al, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Vol. 84

"There was no association between exposure to ETS at the workplace and risk of lung cancer."
Zaridze et al, International Journal of Cancer, Vol. 75

Furthermore, according to the largest study ever performed on the topic:

"No significant associations were found for current or former exposure to environmental tobacco smoke, before or after adjusting for seven confounders, and before or after excluding participants with pre-existing disease."
Enstrom & Kabat, British Medical Journal, Vol. 326

Every major study whose parameters were not changed to bolster a preconceived result shows little or no health risk from secondhand smoke.

"Never mind the studies. If you can see it, and you can smell it, that means there's SOMETHING THERE, and that ain't CLEAN AIR!"
Tobacco smoke is not pure air.

About 95% of tobacco smoke is composed of ordinary air with a slight excess of water and carbon dioxide.

The remaining 5% contains the rest of the "4,000 chemicals" supposedly found in tobacco smoke -- but found, obviously, in extremely small amounts.

Far from all 4,000 of those chemicals are normally labeled as toxic in the first place, with the 1989 Surgeon General's report only noting that "some" are -- without reference to how many or to what amounts would be considered toxic. One of the most fundamental principles of toxicology is that "the dose makes the poison" -- a fact always ignored by anti-smoking crusaders. An aspirin a day keeps the doctor away, but take the whole bottle at once and it will kill you instantly.

Dr. Gio Batta Gori and Dr. Nathan Mantel -- both ardent anti-smokers -- actually burned cigarettes and measured the chemicals produced. Then they consulted the U.S. government's list of safe levels of exposure for each of the chemicals detected in the smoke.

How many cigarettes would it take to reach these levels? Let's see.

FIGURE 1. Estimated number of cigarettes required to reach OSHA safe exposure limits from secondhand smoke emission of selected chemicals in a sealed and unventilated 20' x 20' x 9' enclosure (Gori & Mantel, 1991)

ETS Component /ETS Output (mg/cig)/Safety Limit (mg/m3)/CigsReqd
Methyl chloride/.........0.88/..................... 0.30 /............... 1,170
Acetaldehyde/.............1.26.....................180.00/.................1,430
Nitrogen oxides/..........2.80.......................50.00/.................1,780
Phenol/.......................0.25.......................19.00/.................7,600
Benzene/....................0.24.......................32.00/................13,300
Dimethylamine/...........0.036.....................18.00/................50,000
Benzo[a]pyrene/.........0.00009....................0.20/..............222,000
Polonium 210/.............0.4pCi....................3pCi/l...............750,000
Toluene/.................... 0.000035...............375.00............1,000,000

It does not look like these enormous amounts will be reached in any normal environment, at work or at home. If you think I'm kidding, read the actual report.

According to Michael J. McFadden, "the risk of secondary smoke to nonsmokers has been twisted and exaggerated beyond all reason purely as a tool of social engineering. Even the infamous EPA Report of 1993 testified more to the safety of secondary smoke than to its danger. According to the EPA figures themselves, a nonsmoker living with a smoker for 30 to 40 years would have better than a 99.9% chance of not getting lung cancer from such long-term and constant exposure."

The entire page is worth reading.

http://www.smokingpermitted.com/secondhand.html

All in all, it's not about guns or cigarettes, it's ABOUT CONTROL!!!!

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here's what I find odd:

Quote:
What harmful substances are found in gasoline and diesel fuel?

Gasoline and diesel fuels contain toxic substances that can enter the environment and cause adverse health effects in people. Some of these substances, such as benzene, toluene and xylenes, are found in crude oil and occur naturally in fuels and their vapors. Other substances, such as 1,3-butadiene and formaldehyde, are formed in engines during combustion and are only present in exhaust.
Other harmful pollutants found in engine exhaust include particulate matter (known more commonly as soot), nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide and various hydrocarbons. Ozone, the major component of urban smog, is formed when nitrogen oxides react in sunlight with hydrocarbons.

Diesel exhaust is a particular health concern. There are
1.25 million diesel-fueled engines and vehicles operating in California. These diesel vehicles account for only 2 percent of on-road motor vehicles in the state, but they produce 30 percent of the nitrogen oxides and 60 percent of the particulate matter directly emitted from California motor vehicles. Diesel exhaust also contains over 40 different substances identified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) as toxic air contaminants that may pose a threat to human health. The particulate matter in diesel exhaust has been identified as a toxic air contaminant by ARB, and it has been linked to lung cancer.
What health effects are associated with exposure to fuels?

Breathing gasoline and diesel vapors can irritate the nose and throat and cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and confusion. Of course, most people are not exposed to high enough levels of fuels to become ill in this manner. However, we are all exposed to lower levels of fuel components throughout our lives. This lifelong exposure can increase the risk of adverse health effects.

Both liquid gasoline and motor vehicle exhaust contain chemicals that can cause cancer. Benzene, a fundamental component of gasoline and diesel fuel as well as vehicle exhaust, causes cancer in humans. Gasoline exhaust also contains cancer-causing 1,3-butadiene, formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. Diesel exhaust contains several dozen toxic substances and scientific studies have shown that workers exposed to diesel exhaust are more likely to develop lung cancer. Long-term exposure to particles in diesel exhaust poses the highest cancer risk of any toxic air contaminant evaluated by OEHHA. ARB estimates that about 70 percent of the cancer risk that the average Californian faces from breathing toxic air pollutants stems from diesel exhaust particles. The microscopic particles making up diesel exhaust particulate matter are less than one-fifth the thickness of a human hair. They are small enough to penetrate deep into the lungs, where they can contribute to respiratory disease.

Gasoline and diesel exhausts contain nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide and sulfur dioxide. Nitrogen oxides can damage lung tissue, lower the body's resistance to respiratory infection and worsen chronic lung diseases such as asthma. As mentioned earlier, nitrogen oxides react in the atmosphere with hydrocarbons to form ozone, the major component of urban smog. Ozone is a strong irritant to the eyes and respiratory tract. It can make respiratory problems worse for people who already have asthma and other respiratory diseases. Children, senior citizens and people with chronic lung disease, such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), are especially sensitive to ozone. Ozone also hurts the lungs of healthy people who exercise outdoors when ozone levels are high.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that limits the blood's ability to transport oxygen to body tissues. Its presence in the body places a strain on people who already have cardiac or respiratory diseases, as well as pregnant women and the elderly.

MTBE

Another concern about gasoline is methyl tertiary butyl ether, or MTBE, which originally was used in gasoline in small amounts to reduce engine knocking. Beginning in the mid-1990s, more MTBE was added to make gasoline burn cleaner and produce less air pollution. MTBE is present in gasoline vapors and in the exhaust.

Regulatory agencies for years have required the monitoring of drinking-water wells for benzene and other gasoline components that can enter groundwater from leaking underground tanks. As its use became more widespread in the 1990s, MTBE also began to show up in California drinking water wells that were near leaking underground tanks. Bacteria do not break MTBE down as readily as they do benzene, so MTBE will stay in the water longer. MTBE is also more difficult and expensive to remove than benzene. Even at very low concentrations, MTBE has an unpleasant taste and odor that renders drinking water unusable.

Although not as toxic as benzene, MTBE has been shown to cause cancer in certain laboratory animals and may cause cancer in humans. Because of concerns about MTBE in California's drinking water supplies and its general impact on public health and the environment, Governor Gray Davis ordered the removal of MTBE from California's gasoline by the end of 2002.

Concerns about MTBE also prompted legislation that requires the study of potential health impacts prior to the adoption of any new state gasoline regulations that are intended to improve air quality. OEHHA is developing methods to study the risks that could occur throughout the entire "life cycle" of a fuel, from its production, storage, transportation, dispensing and use, through its recycling and disposal.

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/public_info/facts/fuelstoi.html

And YET......... little is truly being done about vehicular emissions, except in California, and even then, it's a minor patch. I'd be more worried about everyday air pollution killing me than secondhand smoke. Even the Federal EPA says that diesel engines cause lung cancer. Ever see the powerplant in Becker and a day where there is little breeze?? An eye-stinging yellow haze forms over the town or adjacent areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks BigRog, for your info and your support.

Great reading. Also, I gotta get this book!

Quote:
For more information on the misleading statements, exaggerations, half-truths and sometimes outright lies that the anti-smokers use to further their agenda, you may want to check out Michael McFadden's book, Dissecting Antismokers' Brains. http://www.antibrains.com

Seth: I'll loan it to you when I'm finished. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:42 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Wow, I hadn't even thought of researching some of those studies. Interesting info.

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:
1. People who CHOOSE to work in a smoking environment CHOOSE to take the chance and have NO RIGHT to complain to anyone other then their boss.

OSHA regulates exposure to substances as toxic as RUBBING ALCOHOL in the workplace. Why is cigarette smoke, a known carcinogen, exempt?

I guess, as info provided suggests, that OSHA should look at smoke in general. Not specifically cigarette smoke.

More to my point, a bar already is what it is: a den of enequity. OSHA recognizes it as a place where people are going to smoke. So, therefore, people who work there should have already guessed that there is a health risk working there.

If places that prepare food didn't have the exhaust vents, then there would be quite a high number of respitory ailments (lung cancer being a certain possibility). Which brings me back to one of my points, I'm not opposed to stricter ventalation regulations in smoking establishments.

Quote:
Should employers be able to submit their employees to any level of hazard they choose, since people can choose not to work there? Maybe, but it's not how things work now. Right now, workplace safety is highly regulated.

I'm leaning towards, yes. As long as it's known that the employee will be subjected to whatever, up front. The employer should not be able to just take the secretary and force her to paint cars without a mask.

What do the window washers do if their boss doesn't force them on the scaffolding (the lifty thing for skyscrapers/tall buildings), or the rope that they repel from on shorter buildings?
How do the lightbulbs get changed on a radio antenna?
Is there a possiblity of falling objects in a warehouse?
Do you work for DQ if you are allergic to peanuts?
Do you work for hooters if you are a man hater?
Do you work as a janitor if you break out when you use cleaning supplies?

Part of my point is that workplaces have actually been liberalized. Office and other safer jobs have been made so safe that people couldn't imagine getting hurt. But there are jobs that still need to be done and are very risky. They cannot regulate everything.
(I have a sudden urge to go off about the sheeple)

Oh hell (borrowed from lastgunshop), what about indoor shooting ranges? That poor poor range officer at Bill's. Maybe we could ban shooting indoors so he doesn't die from breathing lead. But then what would he do for work?

Quote:
The fact that the dangers of cigarette smoke are exempted is an anomoly that is the result of tens of millions of dollars of lobbying by Big Tobacco.

Maybe. I don't know. I would probably guess, yes.

Quote:
Quote:
2. Second hand smoke is not a direct health hazard. It is more of a catalyst. If you are in it 24/7, then you have a very high risk of contracting problems (not 'only' or 'definitively', lung cancer). If your immune system is weak from a cold or you just being run down, you have a higher risk of having complications.

I'm afraid the whole medical and scientific community disagrees with you; they estimate something like 30,000 secondhand smoke deaths a year. What's your source?

While I understand what you are getting at, Secondhand smoke is not the cause of death. It is a factor. The cause of death will be lung cancer or something else, most likely caused by secondhand smoke. This makes it more of a catalyst.

Really, the fact that people should look at is: With the 30,000 deaths, how is it that 30,000 other people doing the exact same work or play (as the people who died), are still living with (quite possibly) no health problems? How is it that a smoker can have no health problems, but his wife die because of 'secondhand smoke'?

Actually another fact people should look into: What causes these people to stay in the secondhand smoke to begin with? A wife can open the window, a waitress at a bar can find another job. Here is a GREAT idea for OSHA- Mandate that people working in smoking environments take their breaks/lunch in a fresh air environment (either leaving the building or a very well ventilated room!) I would estimate that at least half of bar workers probably smoke anyways.

The only people that don't have much of a choice is children. I do not like parents smoking in enclosed areas with children around.

Edited to Add-
I'm not turning this into a religious discussion. I want to say that I believe a lot in life lessons. If someone is getting an illness from something that doesn't cause illness in 100% of people, there is probably something the person isn't doing (keeping healthy), needs to learn, or needs others to learn from.

Last edited by Pakrat on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
Here is a GREAT idea for OSHA- Mandate that people working in smoking environments take their breaks/lunch in a fresh air environment (either leaving the building or a very well ventilated room!

Yeah, go out and breathe in the toxic car exhaust at/ near rush hour!!!! I recall a particulary memorable trip to L.A. from San Diego. After half an hour in L.A. traffic, my eyes were burning, my breathing was more labored, and rolling down the windows only exacerbated my problems. Once I got out of the L.A. basin, my ills were cured with less polluted air. And California has had the strictest emissions controls since the 70s. I experienced a similar problem in Becker during a very calm day and the coal burning power plant emissions hung in a cloud over the city. Yet, I could go into a smoke filled bar later that week in another city and not experience ANY problems. Lung Cancer?? Let's look at the REAL culprits that face us with us polluting our own air, genetics, and the other factors!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:06 pm 
Journeyman Member

Aquaholic wrote:
It amazes me how some people talk a good game when it comes to things they like that annoy others, yet turn into exactly the same whiny, I-know-better-whats-good-for-you-than-you-do types when something annoys them.

Now THAT is a good point. I would welcome the choice of the OWNER of a business making the entire premesis non-smoking. I do not like the government doing it for them.

If you don't like garlic, should I not be able to get it with my meal? I think you should have the choice to go to a garlic free restaurant, while I ask for extra if the mood hits me.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.