Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:15 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Missing: Somali Men Off TC's Streets, Back in Somalia 
 Post subject: The Missing: Somali Men Off TC's Streets, Back in Somalia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:22 pm 

anyone know more info on this?

Shouldn't you loose your refugee status if you ever go back?

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pa ... geId=1.1.1

The Missing: Somali Men Off Twin Cities Streets, Back in Somalia
Somali community fears young men leaving to fight holy war
Last Edited: Tuesday, 25 Nov 2008, 6:46 PM CST
Created: Sunday, 23 Nov 2008, 9:00 PM CST

Somali people are trained to handle guns at the Islamic militiamen run Arbiska training camp, Mogadishu, Somalia. (AP) Somalis in Minnesota

Related Items
Videos

Stories
Crisis in Somalia Affects MN Somalis

by Tom Lyden

MINNEAPOLIS -- Young Somali men are vanishing off the streets of the Twin Cities. More than 20 have left in the last few months, and the community fears they’ve gone back to Somalia to fight in a holy war.

Video: The Missing

They’re known in the Somali community simply at The Missing. More than 20 young Somali men, between the ages of 17 and 22, who have left the Twin Cities in the last few months, without a single word to their families.

The families and community leaders believe the men have gone back to fight in a bloody civil war, in which Al Quiada is a major player.

"They're concerned, emotional and in shock,” Omar Jamal, of the Somali Justice Center said. “They're completely grief stricken.

From multiple sources in the Somali community, FOX 9 has learned eight men are believed to have left on August 1, and another ten on November 4.

Flight itineraries discovered by their families show they left Minneapolis to take the winding trip back, through Dubai, Nairobi and Malindi, Kenya, where they’re believed to have entered Somalia by boat.

Then, last week, five families went to the FBI, worries their kids were part of some jihad in Somalia. For their part, the FBI would not confirm or deny whether they have an ongoing investigation.

Shiek Imam Abdighani Ali is one of the few religious leaders who would discuss The Missing. He believes someone is organizing the trips.

“A lot of parents are coming to us asking where their kid is going,” Ali said. “We are trying to find out who financed (the trips). They are 17 years old, $1,700 dollars and most of them didn't work."

Some of The Missing are believed to be former gang members, escaping the street violence that’s claimed the life of seven young Somali men this year. Others are in college, and some were said to be deeply religious.

The irony is their families risked everything to escape the violence and religious wars, yet something or someone is luring the young men back.

Some of their families told FOX 9 they are under pressure from law enforcement and religious leaders to not talk about The Missing.

At least one mother has received a phone call from her son. He told her he was in Somalia, but would not tell her what he was doing there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Quite frankly as far as I'm concerned, they can keep going back to their war torn shithole of a country. If they want to be a "maurder" let them blow their ass up over there, I don't want them remotely close to the U.S.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Excellent!

This is truly a good start in turning things around over here... now all we need to make sure of is that once they've had the opportunity to live in America but they decided to go back to their third-world shitpot country, they're cut off from the American way of life.

If they're so damned happy over there they can stay.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:06 am 
Longtime Regular

I would say great except for two things.

One they are screwing up shipping in the region which includes most of the worlds oil.

Two it appears that we tend to have people in or near most violent situations. Remember not too long ago AC-130s raining fire down in Somalia? I am willing to bet that the planes didn't just fly there and decided to shoot some people that *looked* like they were up to no good, but instead there are some people on the ground gathering intelligence or being air controllers.

Any more of the Jihadis in the region is not a good thing, especially if they want to come back into this country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:42 am 
Longtime Regular

More seats open on the Light Rail anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:18 am 
Longtime Regular

EJSG19 wrote:
More seats open on the Light Rail anyway.

:D

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Maybe they've heard that the pirate trade along the Somali coast is lucrative? They'll come back with fat wallets and gold grillz. I'm surprised there aren't more going over there to join them.

Check out that tiny, shanty wasteland that they are operating out of an ask yourself how easy it would be to take that place out. They don't even have a real port.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=7.968798,49.820251&spn=0.252285,0.30899&t=h&z=12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow. That isn't even a town. That is a couple of shacks on the beach.

There is the map zoomed in on the town.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll= ... 04828&z=18

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Those are beeched boats (the white items on the shore) and perhaps a couple shanties for mending nets and storing fuel. The town is a little 600 yards north and inland a touch. . . some bigger buildings, layout typical of that part of the world.

I don't think going ashore or letting our Marines do what they do best is the answer we are looking for. We need to abolish the prohibition on non-warships bearing arms (in maritime law) Ma duece weilded by guys that don't want to be hostages is going to be far more efficient in making piracy "non-lucrative" than any military action. Just like drug dealers in the inner city, you can burn one out here or there but so long as it stays lucrative, another will just pop up and take its place. Even paying a few dedicated security crew and arming them adequately is a heck of a lot cheaper than loosing a 10 million dollar boat with a cargo that dwarfs the price of the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
Those are beeched boats (the white items on the shore) and perhaps a couple shanties for mending nets and storing fuel. The town is a little 600 yards north and inland a touch. . . some bigger buildings, layout typical of that part of the world.

Oh yup. Good call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:17 pm 

OK, so just don't let em back in the US. Duh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

There is also the possibility that they have been quietly recruited by our side. Or that they are fleeing gang violence here. Or that they have gone to rescue some relatives. We shouldn't jump to the conclusion that they are off on jihad.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
I would say great except for two things.

One they are screwing up shipping in the region which includes most of the worlds oil.

Any more of the Jihadis in the region is not a good thing, especially if they want to come back into this country.

I think the total war idea needs to make a resurgence. Look at how effective just two low kiloton nukes were at bringing the Japanese around to unconditional surrender.

We need to arm our bombers with the most powerful conventional warheads in our arsenal and rain hell down upon these people. After a few months there won't be anyone left to bomb our assets or our allies (or tourists) be they in New York City, Bali, London, Yemen, or India.

Force them to the brink of oblivion or to accept unconditional surrender; that seems to be the only way to beat them.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

That, or we could focus on our own stuff & change maritime law (just giving ships the same rights we carry as individuals . ... seems pretty crazy I am not getting more "hell yeah" out of the idea of letting people defend themselves. This whole pirate gig is happening because merchant ships are prohibited from arming for self defense) to deal with pirates.

The "lets go to guns on 'em" just feels a little like the dad who is having issues with mom in the home so he goes out to join the Klan, because "they" are responsible for bad stuff. If we burn really big crosses in the desert, it'll make everything okay at home. Right?

I am not saying I don't want to see Somali Pirates swinging neckwise from yardarms. I do. Feeding the sharks is a great use of these fellas too. I just don't see spending the money on heavy ordinance, which won't be effective, when allowing merchant ships to arm (whatever they can afford that gets the job done not to exclude <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cP6GpAnmAPU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cP6GpAnmAPU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> and the like) will get the job done just like the 32 pounder of yore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

The problem is the shipping company that owns 75% of the cargo ships in the world doesn't want to arm the "ships" (i.e. crew). Instead they want to go around the horn of Africa and add 30% to the cost.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.