Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Are tasers deadly weapons? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:40 pm 
Journeyman Member

people need to remember that TASERs are less than lethal not "NON LETHAL." Excited drilium sometimes happens with people who are high on cocaine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:52 am 

it didnt kill this guy :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfyQ1BMDq80

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

update:
Quote:
[url=http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=8322677&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1]Victim, Cause of Death Identified in December Taser Death
COD: cardiorespiratory arrest[/url]

Last Edited: Wednesday, 28 Jan 2009,

MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) -- The identity and cause of death of a Minneapolis man who died after police used a Taser on him has been released. Last December, police used a Taser to subdue 24-year-old Quincy Deshawn Smith during a confrontation.

Smith was armed with a rifle and fought with officers as they tried to arrest him, around 12:45 a.m. Dec. 9 in the 1000 block of Knox Ave. Police were called there to answer a domestic assault call.

Police noticed he was having a medical problem, and he was taken to HCMC, where he died.

The five responding officers were put on paid administrative leave.

Wednesday, the cause of death was ruled as "cardiorespiratory arrest complicating physical exertion with law enforcement subdual and restraint." The manner of death was ruled a homicide.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

This was #2
Quote:
Trib link
Ex-radio DJ Quincy De'Shawn Smith survived an encounter with a police Taser in 2005

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Teen dies after police use stun gun
story link

BAY CITY, Mich., March 23 (UPI) -- A 15-year-old boy died after police in Bay City, Mich., used a stun gun to subdue him, say state police who are investigating the death.

The boy died Sunday after city police were called to break up a fight in an apartment complex, The Saginaw (Mich.) News reported Monday.

Police said the stun gun was used after the boy refused to calm down and tried to fight police and others in the apartment, the News reported.

Police haven't released the boy's name or the name of the police officer who fired the stun gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:07 am 
Longtime Regular

I think the overarching rule here is...

Don't fight the police!

While there are certainly bad apples who use excessive force, most cops are just people who want to go home to their families after work.

Coming from someone who worked extensive security and then corrections, the rule we were always taught was that if a confrontation turned physical, our job was to END it as quickly as possible. That could mean the offender was going to meet the ground at a very high rate of speed, it could mean O.C., and these days it likely means a taser if you choose to fight the police.

I was never going to risk my butt over the concern that my ending a fight might cause pain to the offender. They made their decision. Cops have to deal with that situation over and over and over again. I don't begrudge them the taser use if someone's actively resisting...and in the original case, I'm surprised they ONLY used a taser. You wave a rifle at me, I'm not gonna pull out a joy buzzer.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Deputy Says He Was Disabled By Taser In Mandatory Shooting During Training
Friday, May 01, 2009
Story link

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (CN) - A sheriff's deputy was permanently injured by being shot by a Taser M26 stun gun as a mandatory part of training to become an instructor in the weapon, he says in Federal Court. He sued Taser - but not the sheriff's office - saying the company knew of similar disabling incidents but failed to warn.

Jeff Kandt worked for the Oswego County Sheriff's Department when he was disabled by the mandatory shot from the stun gun on May 29, 2007, according to the complaint. He demands punitive damages, saying Taser's fraud and negligence were malicious. He is represented by Robert Williams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Odd that we cannot water board terrorists but we can use shock "therapy" on suspects. Have more people died from tasers or water boarding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

I attended a "tasering" recently. It sort of changed my mind.

Local cops had a community meeting, and one of the cops took a shot just for our entertainment. The only problem is the probes have barbs, like a fish hook, they have to be janked out and leave sore, and rip your shirt. And, unlike my friend, you wouldn't have two guys to make sure you didn't fall on your head.

He didn't get the full five seconds, but he went right down. And he was fine as soon as they turned off the juice.

It's a LOT better than getting hit with a club or a fist. I'd volunteer; if this cop can do it I could do it too. (I'd rather get it in the back than it the front in case they missed center of mass. Ouch.) It does have a laser sighting system, but it's only a single shot.

It's not foolproof, some of the cartridges have too much glue and are basically duds. The cop who took the shot for our entertainment made the mistake of using a taser to try to take down a big guy without waiting for backup a few nights earlier. His taser fired a dud, and then the fight was on. For eleven minutes until other officers arrived. A small officer might have been killed relying on that setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
It's a LOT better than getting hit with a club or a fist.

I've been lit up twice and I agree. I'll take the tazer before any other use of force they have to offer. I would be concerned, however, but crackin' my head open when I fell.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:41 pm 
Trolling Doofus

typically the only people who have complications , or fatalities, are people who are hoped up on something else ,

there whole bodys all out of whack on something elses , and WHAMMY ! TASER TIME.

and down for the count

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.