Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 The UN and Global Arms Control 
 Post subject: The UN and Global Arms Control
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:02 am 

Prof. Joyce Malcom has written a good article on the efforts of the United Nations to implement global 'small arms' control. This,and similar articles, should be required reading for all left thinking Americans... :wink:

Caution:
The article is a pdf file nearly 11 MB in size; so don't go there unless you have lots of time or a broadband connection. The link provided is to an index, not the file itself.

Link:

http://web.mit.edu/ssp/Publications/bre ... oughs.html

Open the Spring 2005 issue and go to page 22.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

I know the current administration is not interested in signing on to this foolish form of gun control. I hope future administrations will not sign on as well since it is in direct conflict with our constitution but then they may just "re-interpret" what the second amendment means.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

I do not find her article. Can you post a better link?

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:57 am 
Longtime Regular

I took the PDF and stripped out the other articles, which got it down to under 2 MB:

http://us.share.geocities.com/matthewpa ... irearm.pdf

And, `cause it needs to be said, this is from a Massachusetts publication from a Massachusetts university by a Massachusetts professor!

http://www.bentley.edu/academics_resear ... fm?id=2488

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:14 am 
Forum Moderator

I have a DVD I got from the NRA that features a debate, at Oxford, between some Australian woman who supports the UN gun ban (although I think she might allow someone to keep a 300 year old matchlock) and Wayne LaPierre.

It was kind of interesting, but there's nothing at all surprising about the pacifism, one-worldism and bueaucratic "Central Committee" control advocated by her and many other Commonwealth citizens.

I've talked to a number of Australians and UK citizens and they all think Americans are "crazy" when it comes to guns and can't understand why we don't want to submit to the state on this issue.

Of course this usually leads to a discussion of the difference between a citizen in a constitutional democracy (us) and a subject in a parliamentary monarchy (them), and the notion that we really do believe that "[all men]...are endowed by the creator with certain inalienable rights...", and that we didn't fight the Revolutionary War over which side of the road to drive on.

I do cede to them the fact that Rugby/Australian Rules Football players are more rugged than our helmet-clad football players and that generally speaking, their beer is better too. But I'd rather not trade my rights for mass-produced Guiness and rugby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:48 am 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
I have a DVD I got from the NRA that features a debate, at Oxford, between some Australian woman who supports the UN gun ban (although I think she might allow someone to keep a 300 year old matchlock) and Wayne LaPierre.

I heard about that debate, Wayne (I am told) kicked her butt!!!

Quote:
It was kind of interesting, but there's nothing at all surprising about the pacifism, one-worldism and bueaucratic "Central Committee" control advocated by her and many other Commonwealth citizens.

This Pacifism craze that is sweeping parts of the world (including the U.S.) I simply don’t understand it. If I had the means to stop the killing of someone through use of violence and did nothing... I couldn’t live with myself.

Quote:
But I'd rather not trade my rights for mass-produced Guiness and rugby.

Well if the beer was Dos Equis instead of Guiness the decision would be much harder!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:04 am 
Forum Moderator

grayskys wrote:
I heard about that debate, Wayne (I am told) kicked her butt!!!

I think her primary motivation is really removing the surplus of AKs, FALs, etc found in post colonial shiteholes and used by your run of the mill 3rd world bands of thugs, which while misguided, has a certain surface appeal.

I *know* that she has no desire to stop there, though, and she sees American gun ownership as a major hindrance to her goal.

Quote:
Well if the beer was Dos Equis instead of Guiness the decision would be much harder!

I'd trade the NFL for Australian Rules Football any day, but I wouldn't trade the day-old diet Coke in my car's cupholder for that Mexican cerveza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
I think her primary motivation is really removing the surplus of AKs, FALs, etc found in post colonial shiteholes and used by your run of the mill 3rd world bands of thugs, which while misguided, has a certain surface appeal.

I just don’t think it is possible to stop 3rd (or 1st) world thugs from getting guns, and if it was possible you would end up taking the guns from those who would use it defend themselves from afore mentioned thugs.

mobocracy wrote:
I *know* that she has no desire to stop there, though, and she sees American gun ownership as a major hindrance to her goal.

Yep, if you take away the ability of a person to defend themselves, you make them dependent on you for protection; in effect giving yourself more power.

mobocracy wrote:
I'd trade the NFL for Australian Rules Football any day, but I wouldn't trade the day-old diet Coke in my car's cupholder for that Mexican cerveza.

Joel is the one who introduced me to Dos Equis, if you know a better beer please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

grayskys wrote:
I just don’t think it is possible to stop 3rd (or 1st) world thugs from getting guns, and if it was possible you would end up taking the guns from those who would use it defend themselves from afore mentioned thugs.

I don't think so either, but the movie she sees is thugs with guns and innocent people without guns, and making them "equal" means taking away the guns. It's deeply flawed.

Even when you have Blue Helmets around, take a look at Bosnia to see how well that worked to "protect" people.

Quote:
Joel is the one who introduced me to Dos Equis, if you know a better beer please let me know.

I've kind of settled on Chimay Blue, and a Saison; either Fantome, Foret or Dupont, depending on which one I can get ahold of. Fortunately Blue Max in Burnsville usually has at least one of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:59 am 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
Even when you have Blue Helmets around, take a look at Bosnia to see how well that worked to "protect" people.

I just watched Blackhawk Down last night, it seems the UN is pretty useless at protecting anyone.

mobocracy wrote:
I've kind of settled on Chimay Blue, and a Saison; either Fantome, Foret or Dupont, depending on which one I can get a hold of. Fortunately Blue Max in Burnsville usually has at least one of them.

Well I am beginner at beer and have never heard about any of these beers before. Therefore I think I am going to have to go there this weekend (maybe today) to discover this new world of beer in Burnsville!

I am starting to think we should start a new beer thread...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've started a new beer thread here. Save this one for the Blue Helmets, not the Blue Moon. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.