Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Restaurant suggestions? 
 Post subject: Restaurant suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:13 am 
Journeyman Member

Any one have any suggestions for a restaurant in the Southern Suburbs (we'll be staying in Bloomington) -- we're heading to the cities in a few weeks and want to have a nice meal somewhere, nice restaurant.

Any suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:47 am 
Journeyman Member

I don't eat out as much as I used to, and I'm not known as a connoisseur, but I really like Kincaid's. It's in a strange location, on the ground floor of an office tower. It's not hard to find.

http://www.kincaids.com/

I like Chez Collette at the Hotel Sofitel, based on two visits.

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-0539-sofitel-minneapolis/restaurant.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Joe's Garage. http://www.joes-garage.com/ probably my favorite place to take out of town guests. There is a menu at that link. Check out the mashed potatoes.

Duplex http://www.duplexmpls.com/ If I was looking for romance, this is where my money would be spent. My baby girl was concieved after an evening at Duplex.

Casper Runyon's Shamrocks http://crshamrocks.net/shamrocks.htm is our favorite pub and the best burgers in this state and several others. I may have had a better burger once, but I don't think that place still exists.

If you are going to be at MOA, Cantina #1 http://www.cantina1.com/main.asp?l=2 really surprised us. It doesn't seem overpriced and they have masterfully done shrimp dishes. Looks like garden variety TexMex, but their shrimp is something to write home about.

Post subject: Re: Restaurant suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:00 pm 
The Man

diamondsj wrote:
Any one have any suggestions for a restaurant in the Southern Suburbs (we'll be staying in Bloomington) -- we're heading to the cities in a few weeks and want to have a nice meal somewhere, nice restaurant.

Any suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks.
By and large, you do better coming into the city. Competition tends to drive up the quality.

Corner Table -- 43rd and Nicolette -- is, all by itself, well worth the trip; the tasting menu is awesome.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Oh, yup, Joel caught what I missed. Definitely roll into the city. The 'burbs are a barren wasteland of prepackaged chain yukiness.

The creative and interesting restaurants of the Twin Cities are going to be one of the things I miss the most, when we move on. A while back we had a family meeting and decided to eat out half as often and twice as good (cutting out fast food altogether and only eating out at quality joints, but keeping the same budget) It has been a rewarding lifestyle change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:28 am 
Journeyman Member

Yeah, I agree with you...after I posted that, hubby and I talked and thought maybe going into the city may be best...Thanks for the suggestions to date...any more for options in the city?

Joe's Garage looks like a nice place -- nice choices on the menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 pm 

If you're up for a drive over to St. Paul, the Strip Club is excellent.

http://www.domeats.com

Ask for a table upstairs for the great view of downtown St. Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:36 pm 
Journeyman Member

Both the Corner Table and the Strip Club look good as well. Thank you for the suggestions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:04 pm 
Journeyman Member

Not far form Bloomington, in South Minneapolis is a small Italian place called Al Vento. Off the beaten path, pretty good food and atmosphere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:53 pm 

It depends where you're staying. Bloomington is a big place. There are restaurants by and in the mall, and then there's stuff on the northwestern edge (like the Sofitel and Kincaids).

I enjoy the Sofitel (100 & 494). It is now an older hotel but it caters to an international clientele and has three restaurants and live music most nights, which is now rare for a venue that small. The food is variable but sometimes the room rates are quite reasonable and the tradeoff of not having to drive becomes worthwhile.

Stefanos, in Burnsville on 13 and Cliff road, is a traditional Italian place, quiet, family run. Not in the same league with Kincaid's, but it has a certain authenticity and sense of place that I enjoy.

Kincaids is very good. Make reservations and expect to wait anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:31 am 
The Man

Each to his own. If I'm going for steak, it'll be Murray's in Minneapolis, Ruth's Chris if I'm on (not much of) a budget, or Mancini's in St. Paul; Kincaid's is okay, but I like all of those a lot better.

Another great treat: First Course on Chicago in Minneapolis, near Diamond Lake. Say hi to Travis for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 am 
Longtime Regular

I'll second Mancini's it is classic old school italian-y steak house. By all accounts, Nick Mancini was a great guy.

Down the street you'll find a great German resturant, The Glockenspiel.

Neither of the places above are as hoity toity or as expensive as most of the resturants listed above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:23 pm 
Journeyman Member

So far, on the choices given us we are going to have a tough time deciding on one.... Thanks everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Definitely Fogo De Chao

It's a Brazilian steak house, all the meat you can eat...and by meat I mean heaven on a stick.

Oooooh so good. Expensive but good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Fogo De Chao sounds really interesting. Their website looked good but didn't even give me a ball park on what it might cost. What would you guess a couple would spend for a dinner there? Valentines day is coming around the bend.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.