Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 How many people here know Darrell? 
 Post subject: How many people here know Darrell?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:34 am 
1911 tainted

I see his name pop up here and there and am kind of curious as to who here actually knew him, and how?
Was it because of Plus P Technologies, or maybe some other reason.
I met him and his family when I took my first ever official training class with a handgun (not including the USMC). I was the lucky one in his class that he had fun with by twisting what I said and putting me on the spot.

Sure did enjoy that class.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How many people here know Darrell?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:18 am 
The Man

cobb wrote:
I see his name pop up here and there and am kind of curious as to who here actually knew him, and how?
Was it because of Plus P Technologies, or maybe some other reason.
I met him and his family when I took my first ever official training class with a handgun (not including the USMC). I was the lucky one in his class that he had fun with by twisting what I said and putting me on the spot.

Sure did enjoy that class.
Obviously, I knew -- and liked -- the guy. I met him, initially, when he was helping out at Pat Teal's gunshop. See the sidebar at http://www.thegunzone.com/people/darrell.html .

And, yup, he had a lot of fun, over the years, trying to put me on the spot, and me pushing back. Both of us always enjoyed when I sat in on one of his classes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:47 am 
Longtime Regular

I took Darrell's class 3 times on a yearly basis, they were never the same, always provided new material to be learned, they were always interesting and his method of teaching was to make you think.
Darrell had some off the wall sounding ideas, but when you poked into them there was always solid research and sound reasoning behind them.
We lost a great resource and a solid advocate for our rights the day he died.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:00 am 

I spoke to him on the phone a number of times and exchanged emails over a couple or three years.

The only face-to-face meeting was at his carry class, though. A good guy, for sure. Uncommon, but good, I'd say.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

I took the PlusP course 3 times, twice from Darrel.

I hear alot of crap from folks who say... Take a real course.... yada yada yada. But I know that inside 21 feet, I can plug the paper pretty well without bothering with sight alignment, based on the method he taught.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:

I hear alot of crap from folks who say... Take a real course.... yada yada yada. But I know that inside 21 feet, I can plug the paper pretty well without bothering with sight alignment, based on the method he taught.

Mostly-

Not to mention with confidence in low light conditions.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yep, knew him, took his classe(s) - he knew of what he spoke........miss him too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:12 pm 
Delicate Flower

I unfortunately only hear of him, never met him :cry: ........from what I have heard he would have been a great one to interact with.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:23 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

He was a good guy - friendly and highly intellegent.

Met him in 1998 - through interesting means - interesting fellow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:41 pm 
1911 tainted

Selurcspi wrote:
mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:

Mostly-

Not to mention with confidence in low light conditions.

And since that time, I felt that I never really needed night sights on a 1911. A 1911 is what I am use to, it points naturally for me, and so I can hold it waist or chest high and hit where I need to, at a distance of 21 feet or less.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How many people here know Darrell?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:01 pm 
on probation

cobb wrote:
s.
Me. Good guy always came in to the shop to shoot the shit with me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:35 pm 

Took a PlusP course from him in '02. I got my words twisted more than the others in the class as I was willing to answer more often. Shot that class with my makarov and did just fine.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Swell guy. Highly opinionated, but very nice. Great to talk to. Saw him a lot at Burnsville range. He had a radio show, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

I first met Darrell Mulroy in 1994 at the big NRA show here in Minneapolis. I plunked down at a table to give my feet a break. I had just been given a copy of "Handgun Stopping Power," inscribed by Evan Marshall, one of the authors, and I was paging through it. Darrell Mulroy was sitting there and struck up a conversation.

Over the years I took his course three times, and had many, many conversations with him, sometimes just friendly stuff, sometimes in connection with a story I was doing for the Horrible Old Strib. At one point I was going to do a story about women who carry illegally -- this was prior to the concealed-carry law passage here -- and he was going to see if any student would work with me. But before that the editors put the kibosh on the story.

He was unfailingly helpful and friendly. Yes, we lost a great guy in Darrell.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.