Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:18 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Job Opening: Web Designer 
 Post subject: Job Opening: Web Designer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yup, still (again) looking for a full-time HTML production persion with a good eye for design.

You should be good at HTML and CSS, have a clue about Javascript (or be willing to learn) and have the ability to make non-ugly web designs.

No, there's nothing gun-related about this -- except that I might as well try to get a TwinCitiesCarry person in at the office. :)

PM me or hit "chat" below if interested.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:38 am 
Longtime Regular

any Part-time possiblities?

I'm not exactly the artsy fartsy type, but I've been doing web developement (server side currently) but have done LOTS of servlets, html, javascript (way past validation), I can dabble in css...

Looking for some extra $ to help erase the Christmas debt and to fund the Bill GS Handgun league as well as hunting and fishing activities.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:11 am 
Journeyman Member

I've you're looking for help with web design, you're probably gonna need to look for two people. One that's artistically inclined and one that is programming inclined. Rarely can you find the two in one package.

I do Web Design work professionally. Good with HTML/JS/CSS/PHP/SQL and all the various other web scripting technologies. But I usually build what is given to me by the designer, I have those type of people as a resource. If I can see it, I can build it.

Let me know what you have in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:00 am 
Longtime Regular

edschminke wrote:
I've you're looking for help with web design, you're probably gonna need to look for two people. One that's artistically inclined and one that is programming inclined. Rarely can you find the two in one package.

I do Web Design work professionally. Good with HTML/JS/CSS/PHP/SQL and all the various other web scripting technologies. But I usually build what is given to me by the designer, I have those type of people as a resource. If I can see it, I can build it.

Let me know what you have in mind.

At this point, it's reasonable to expect a graphic designer to have basic HTML/CSS skills. (That wasn't the case 10 years ago, when I started in web development.)

People with your skill set are more properly called "web developers."

What we're looking for is someone to do a lot of HTML/CSS production work, but someone who shows artistic promise and would like to grow and expand her design skills and responsibilities.

We're getting frustrated with the quality and business readiness of the new graduates from Brown, MCAD, etc. They seem woefully underprepared for the real world.

We're hoping to find the exception...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:18 am 

Quote:
At this point, it's reasonable to expect a graphic designer to have basic HTML/CSS skills. (That wasn't the case 10 years ago, when I started in web development.)

Well yes and no... The more formal graphic designers who come out of a BA College don't usually touch much development. All of their time is dedicated to layout, font, color, content, etc. (I am a technical recruiter and one of my best friends is a Graphic Designer for Best Buy.) However you will find people today coming out of the Browns, Normandales, and American Universities/ colleges that are less graphic artists and more graphic developers. If you would like Andrew I can try to source someone decent for you. Just email me off-line with your requirements. (Experience/ Salary/ availability)
Have another great snowday!
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:08 am 
Longtime Regular

simian12 wrote:
Quote:

Well yes and no... The more formal graphic designers who come out of a BA College don't usually touch much development......

As well may be. A web designer who divorces himself from development is like a print designer who won't learn about paper stock and printing processes. You can't do the art if you can't understand the craft.

(There's a reason that great chefs work their way up from prep cooks. Don't trust a chef who can't chop his own vegetables or a painter who can't stretch his own canvasses.)

I've had ten years of working with both kinds of designers, and I'll take the ones who are not afraid to sully their hands with the mundanities of code any day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:36 pm 
Journeyman Member

andrew:
just out of curiousity, what is it you're trying to accomplish? this business? personal? other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

edschminke wrote:
andrew:
just out of curiousity, what is it you're trying to accomplish? this business? personal? other?

It's an open position at my day job.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.