Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bob Davis gets the Axe 
 Post subject: Bob Davis gets the Axe
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:17 pm 

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... nchO7DiUsr

For the second time in less than a week, KSTP Radio (AM 1500) is swiftly silencing one of its talk-show hosts.

Today, it's Bob Davis, who had the mike on weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon.

"Bob Davis is no longer with the radio station," read the station's Twitter announcement. "His last show was heard today. Bob's past contributions are truly appreciated."

On Friday, Dave Thompson told his listeners Friday that his weekday show from noon to 2 p.m. has been canceled and he's done at the station. A glance at KSTP's schedule online shows those two slots are TBD, meaning immediate replacements have yet to be secured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

AM1500 seems to have taken a left turn somewhere near "Reusse" street. It happened one fine winter morning and it seems to have taken the entire KSTP radio caravan with him. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
AM1500 seems to have taken a left turn somewhere near "Reusse" street. It happened one fine winter morning and it seems to have taken the entire KSTP radio caravan with him. :roll:

That steaming pile of shit on Univeristy Ave. took a left run about 4 years ago when they hired Steve Konrad as the program director. Call KSTP-AM and ask for him, leave him a steamed voicemail. Let him know you'll no longer be patronizing any hubard properties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

you said a whole lot right there. Beginning with the Reusse change, they started a downward spiral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think it started before Reusse, I think it was the addition of the Twins that led the station to become more of a sports station than a talk station like it used to be.

The only program worth listening to is Souch.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:

Just barely. Kenny and Rookie are such buttheads that the whole show is borderline unlistenable.

To borrow one of Strad's idioms, KSTP can suck a fart out of my ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:19 pm 

I think it's a little too early to paint this as a political thing.

I'd say this has more to do with the almighty dollar than political bent.

I liked Davis and Thompson both, but was rarely able to listen to them because of when they were on. I'm not driving around between 0900 and 1500 and it isn't practical for me to listen to them at work.

I suspect their arbitron numbers were a little out-of-whack with their salaries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quality talk-radio is available at 100.3 FM and 1280 AM. Patronize these fine stations, and let KSTP die a slow, agonizing death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:
I think it started before Reusse, I think it was the addition of the Twins that led the station to become more of a sports station than a talk station like it used to be.

Hell, I think it started when Rosenbaum and O'Connel left the mid-day slot. Actually, I know it did; I watch those arby-trons. :P That's the same time Joe O'Brian quit as the PD and they got that pollished turd Konrad, who was hell bent on making it a "sports station" when they already had a heavey and well known moniker as "THE TALK STATION, KSTP".

It's going to be interesting when KSTP's contract is up with the twins and the Polads blow up KTTB (96.3-FM) and make a 'New Twins Station' Hubards will be flat on their face with not one effing ioda of tallent left in the place. Souch's numbers are not as hot as they used to be either, talk listeners are lazy when it comes to changing that dial. If they have to tollerate 90% crap and 10% GL which has become crap over the years; they'll leave the station as a listener and move on to a different frequency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:51 am 
Journeyman Member

Ever since Jason Lewis left, they've been getting closer to being WCCO-2.
I can't remember anyone in the morning I've liked that much on 'CCO-2.
Next thing you know, they will be doing the ballgames.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Dave Pendleton wrote:
I think it's a little too early to paint this as a political thing.

I'd say this has more to do with the almighty dollar than political bent.

I liked Davis and Thompson both, but was rarely able to listen to them because of when they were on. I'm not driving around between 0900 and 1500 and it isn't practical for me to listen to them at work.

I suspect their arbitron numbers were a little out-of-whack with their salaries.

I got a blurb from an advertising research group to the effect that conservative talk radio has developed a negative association since the election, especially among 18 to 44 yr old women. Apparently partisan politics is temporarily out of fashion. If that's the case, the ad agencies will avoid that format, for certain target audiences and I guess the impact on ad revenue is dramatic and sudden.

In the real world, there's not much "conservative" happening since the election, so maybe that's the case. "Conservative" seems more last year than this year, I suppose. I don't listen to the radio, but it would be interesting to know if he is replaced by a political show.

The format of a radio station is unlikely to be determined by anyones's politics, it's designed to attract certain audiences and generate revenues. Ad agencies respond immediately to any new research, and move the advertising to different formats. Conservative talk radio has always been a favorite of middle age blue collar men. Other groups may be neutral or even negative to a certain format.

Political formats change, just as music formats change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:11 am 

In the morning I like Chuck & Jon. They lean toward the right. Chuck has always talked about Fireamrs in a positive light.
In the after it's GL. I only listen the car though AM radion inside the building doesn't work to well.

Post subject: 100.3 & 1280
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:59 am 

+1 for 100.3 FM and 1280 AM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

I used to love GL, but the more airtime Rookie gets the less and less enjoyable. Stopped listening when I found myself screaming at Rookie out loud. And Reusse's voice....good lord, how much sandpaper did he swallow?

Haven't listened to KSTP for at least a year now.

Patriot (1280 AM) for the Strom and the NARN on weekends, KTLK on the weekdays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nickel pkg wrote:
Next thing you know, they will be doing the ballgames.

LMFAO!

Oh Gawd I was praying that the changeover meant that John Gordon would retire. I really miss Herb Carneal. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.