Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Food Donation Challenge, Take 2 
 Post subject: Food Donation Challenge, Take 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's been about a year since we did this, and we're doing it again.

Pick a team and make a donation if you'd like to participate. We're running this for the month of May.

Short version: We're collecting food for the hungry, competitively. If you're interested, great. If you're not, that's fine, too.

Long version:

gunshop guy wrote:
Prince Wally reminded me that we are coming up on the anniversary of the food donation challenge and we decided that we should make this an annual event. Last year we collected 606 pounds of food, I think we could easily top that this year. I'm hoping for a combined total of 1,000 pounds.

PrinceWally will lead one team and I will lead the other. Here is how it will work. Select which team you want to be on and then donate to your hearts content. All food donations should be non-perishable (boxed or canned food). The challenge will start May 1st and run through the last day of May. Wally and I will periodically update you on how much we have collected. Each team leader (Wally and I) will donate the food to local food shelves in MN Gun Talk's name. You can donate as many time as you want. If you do not live close enough to the cities but still want to participate, PM me and I'll give you an address to send a check. I will purchase food for you and mail you a reciept, the food will be donated to the team of your choice.

That said, let the donations begin. PM me or Wally to arrange donation drop offs. I can be found at Bill's in Robbinsdale every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (disclaimer: this event is not a Bill's event, it has nothing to do with the shop except that my vehicle will be in the lot to collect the food). If you want to drop off food with me for Wally's team, feel free to do so and I will update Wally with the weight totals. Last year we were able to work out some prizes for the top donators and this year we will work on doing something similar.

Let me know if you have any questions.

One thing that was brought up is that 50lb bags of rice etc. would really "tip the scales" (pardon the pun). Please remember that the donation should be in sizes that an individual or families could use. Most food shelves will not take large (50lb) items as they are not equipped to divide them out.

Recommended donations:
http://www.emergencyfoodshelf.org/HowTo ... anned.aspx

Fruits and Vegetables Group
Canned or dry fruits and vegetables in an array of colors will help ensure consumption of many vitamins and minerals.

* Canned vegetables
* Vegetable juice
* Canned tomatoes (juice and sauce)
* Canned fruit and fruit cups (in its own juice)
* Fruit juice
* Dried fruit

Grain Group
Whole grains provide maximum nutrition value and long-lasting energy.

* Oatmeal Whole grain crackers
* Low sugar/high fiber cereals
* All pasta types
* Whole grain rice

Protein Group
Lean meats and canned or dry beans provide the necessary fuel for muscles.

* Canned tuna, salmon or chicken
* Bean soups
* Baked beans
* Dried and canned beans and peas.
* Chili Beef stew
* Peanut butter
* Nuts

There you have it. Let the fun begin.

Paypal donations:

I'll take paypal donations for both teams, and update Gunshop Guy on the totals.

Gunshop Guy's Team
princewally's team

Please PM Gunshop Guy and I with the team you would like to be on.

I'm in Bloomington every weekday, and St Louis Park every evening and weekend. I'll meet anyplace reasonable to take donations for this. I am more than happy to take donations for either team.

Remember: It's for the children! If we can get a large enough donation, I'm sure we can get some media out for the drop off. Gun guys doing good can't possible be a bad thing to see on the news.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.