Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:32 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 46% support reform of MJ laws 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
As far as the argument over marijuana killing people, I'll just smile, nod and know I'm right.
Anecdotal evidence holds no sway with you, and yet all you can offer is a smile and a nod?

You got any actual proof that marijuana in and of itself can be lethal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:45 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

I had this big long post aimed at bensdad and then realized I agreed with him. Congrats on 17yrs, I will have 29 at the end of June assuming I don't fall off the wagon before then.

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Congrats to you too! Seems like just yesterday, doesn't it?

As far as the topic at hand, maybe I should take one more swing at this. I'll try to be more civil.

By the logic some of you have applied (that the benefits from weed outweigh the harms), we need to revisit the legality of several things. For example, tobacco. It offers none of your professed curative or theraputic qualities. By your reasoning, it should be outlawed. The same can be said for alcohol. We can't make concrete out of that. It certainly never helped with my nausea. I've never seen it used to make clothing. How about greasy burgers and trans-fat? There's a mile-long list of foods that cause imeasureable harm to us (heart disease, obesity, etc.). These should all be outlawed because they offer little benefit and cause much harm.

Obviously, I don't think any of these things should be banned. I think most drug laws should be abolished. My reason, however, has nothing to do with cost/benefit analysis. That is a double-edged sword that the government might love to swing wildly. My reasoning is simply that I want less government.

Oh, and I still maintain that weed is generally bad. It steals the ambition of our youth and causes white women and jazz players to frolic nekkid in the streets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
The same can be said for alcohol. We can't make concrete out of that. It certainly never helped with my nausea. I've never seen it used to make clothing.
Alcohol is an antiseptic and a solvent. Works great on ballpoint pen ink. :)

bensdad wrote:
Oh, and I still maintain that weed is generally bad. It steals the ambition of our youth and causes white women and jazz players to frolic nekkid in the streets.
What street do you live on? I never see any naked women of any hue on mine... ;P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:

The youth of America are already far too lethargic for my taste, but I kinda like the last "problem".

I won't limit it to white women, though.

Of course, she fits in the jazz player category too.

Excuse me, gotta go wipe some drool off my chin...I swear, I'd buy an entire new bass rig to see that come-hither in person. :lol:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:33 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

bensdad wrote:
Quote:
Marijuana is safer than every other perscription drug.
Wanna cite a referrence for this?

That part of my post was a generalization to show that people that are against drugs can't see past "drugs are bad."

Take a look at any prescription drug's side-effects. Some of those commercials are a half hour long (over-exagerating). What's marijuana's side effects? Delayed reaction, drowsiness, munchies.

Quote:
Quote:
No one in the history of time has died from marijuana.
I call absolute, complete, unadulterated BS on this statement. Many people have died as a direct result of driving while "high" and crashing.

Do you have a cite for this? Why has no one else has ever mentioned any marijuana related crashes? How do they die at 10mph? ;)
And I was referring to consumption alone.

Quote:
Dronabinol, Nabilone, Marinol and Sativex can do everything that smoking the ganja can.

Patients say they don't work the same. Regardless of that, can they afford 10x the price of marijuana? (I don't know the cost, patients say they are quite a bit more)

Quote:
Look, I'm not against legalizing drugs, but lets stick to relevant, provable facts.

Part of the problem is the FDA won't allow studies. Because the studies that have happened show that marijuana is safer.

bensdad wrote:
By the logic some of you have applied (that the benefits from weed outweigh the harms), we need to revisit the legality of several things.

We do... not right now... The problem is no one wants to look at the good vs harm. The sheep accept everything the government says. People assume that every angle has been thought of, so if it's illegal now, it should stay illegal (not just about drugs).

The drug war is costing billions of dollars for something that >50% of the country (CNN poll) wants legalized? Something like 90% of that money is spent on marijuana enforcement alone? People in jail for marijuana are in for like 10 years compared to murders and rapist that get out in 2... Enforcement is more costly and more harmful to people then the drug.

Quote:
My reasoning is simply that I want less government.

This may read more offensive than it is meant: That's flawed thinking for this discussion. Because that's basically an unachievable goal. We have to deal with what we have now. Baby steps, take the power away piece by piece.

Quote:
Oh, and I still maintain that weed is generally bad. It steals the ambition of our youth ...

It doesn't steal what wasn't there in the first place. Parents have raised kids in a way that the kids do not care anymore. At least they are killing time with something that won't kill them.

People are blaming the drugs, when drugs (including tobacco, alcohol, food) are symptoms of other problems.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I swear, I'd buy an entire new bass rig to see that come-hither in person.

She don't look like she into fishin'. She sure likes that giant guitar though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:59 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

bensdad wrote:
Quote:
Marijuana is safer than every other perscription drug.
Wanna cite a referrence for this?

Quote:
http://blog.norml.org/2009/05/06/confessions-of-a-medical-marijuana-patient/
In the words of the DEA’s own Chief Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young: “Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances know to man…”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:

Guitar? Looks like a fiddle to me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

White Horseradish wrote:
bensdad wrote:

Guitar? Looks like a fiddle to me...

They get louder when they get bigger, right? :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.