Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:50 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 46% support reform of MJ laws 
 Post subject: 46% support reform of MJ laws
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:48 am 
Wise Elder

http://blog.norml.org/2009/04/30/abc-ne ... en-higher/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Legalize drugs and tax the shit outta them. Drug war 'over'.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:02 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I've watched videos on marijuana about when and why it was made illegal. The government made it the "problem" it is, by making it illegal.

There was something about farmers lobbying against hemp, since it was such a useful crop that was easier to grow than what they were growing... Probably the cotton syndicate... The US is the only country that cannot grow industrial hemp. We can import the raw materials though.

There is someone on record in the early 1900's, lobbying to make hemp illegal, that said marijuana makes white women want to be with black men.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
There is someone on record in the early 1900's, lobbying to make hemp illegal, that said marijuana makes white women want to be with black men.
It was the other way around. Marijuana was supposed to make jazz musicians (guess who they were?) and Mexicans want to rape white women. There was also something about "cocaine-crazed Negro brain", with the end result also being them raping white women. Apparently this whole "raping white women" thing was a really powerful fear at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:59 pm 

This is the quote I'm thinking of:
Quote:
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."
Search for "Anslinger white women," I didn't dig deep enough to find a good cite, but there were plenty of pages crediting Anslinger with the quote.

Wiki - Harry Anslinger

I've heard that the name "Marijuana" was created because it sounded 'exotic' and at the time, people were afraid of exotic. I didn't find anything to support this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:52 am 
1911 tainted

I guess I never really thought that much about it, I just figured it was something that the law makers knew nothing about and believed the information that was spread, like in the movie "Reefer Madness".

But now......
Pakrat wrote:
There was something about farmers lobbying against hemp, since it was such a useful crop that was easier to grow than what they were growing... Probably the cotton syndicate... The US is the only country that cannot grow industrial hemp. We can import the raw materials though.

That makes even more sense, there was a fear in the established market of a product that could be grown and processed cheaper than their established product. Can't a sterile product be grown, a hemp product that would have none of the ingredients that would get a user high? I would think it possible, really not an area I am versed in, but if a fabric producer felt threatened by the hemp fiber, I could see the twist that would be presented to keep such a substance banned.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:59 am 
Journeyman Member

The three dominant varieties of Cannibis are: Cannibis Sativa, Cannibis Indica, and Cannibis Hemp. Only the first 2 will get you high.

YOU CANNOT GET HIGH SMOKING HEMP!!!

Smoke it, eat it, friggin inject it, it doesnt matter. Hemp does not contain the THC necessary to produce intoxication.

What hemp does have, is almost as many uses as the peanut.

I see parallels between guns and marijuana when it comes to the ignorance and disinformation used by the antis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:20 pm 

I landed on an article in the StarTribune about medicinal marijuana bill in Minnesota. The comments made me realize that people who are against this have no business being involved in the discussion. I can hear what's playing in their head: "drugs are bad, mkay?" (South Park reference - See video below)

Marijuana is safer than every other perscription drug.
"Drugs are bad, mkay?"
Hemp can't even make you high, and can make clothing, concrete, fuel, and clean our air faster than any other plant.
"Drugs are bad, mkay?"
No one in the history of time has died from marijuana.
"Drugs are bad, mkay?"
Schedule 1 narcotic means that it has no useful medical purpose. It's been proven that marijuana has much medicinal benefits.
"Drugs are bad, mkay?"

Well, way more then I wanted to type...

Here is pretty good proof that medicinal marijuana does work on something, which should be MORE THAN ENOUGH reason to study it. Something the federal government is actively trying to block.

"The Union: The Business Behind Getting High"
{Video was removed per the production company}

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNbExvU42q4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNbExvU42q4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by Pakrat on Tue May 12, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:28 pm 

Separate post for a separate thought:

How do you feel about Cocaine? I would be more worried about cocaine out in the world...

Oh, cocaine is only schedule 2? Wait, that means a doctor CAN prescribe it!?

So, the federal government believes that cocaine is safer than marijuana... Does that sound right?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:09 pm 

Cocaine saw widespread profesisonal use as a topical and local anesthetic for decades before the federal controlled substances laws were passed while marijuana did not.

It is still used in certain medical settings, including intranasal anesthesia and ophthalmic anesthesia, where it is more effective than lidocaine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:30 am 
Longtime Regular

People that get addicted will always get addicted. They are addicted to alcohol, prescriptions, tobacco and gambling, and this stuff costs society dearly.

I don't use legal or illegal substances because I don't want to be all "f*cked up like the people I know who do use. What's currently "legal" doesn't really enter into my decision process. In any event, the illegal stuff is easy to get, and is available 24/7. The legal stuff is actually less convenient to buy because of business hours, prescriptions and taxes.

If we spent 10% of the law enforcement resources related to druggies on promoting heathy lifestyles, we'd have fewer druggies, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:49 am 
Gun-Toting Liberal

As a recovering drunk I say legalize it all, I also say tax it. I can't use but I have known many people who can actually have a beer or a line or a joint and be fine to stop there. We are destroying at least as many lives with prisons as drugs do. Thirty some years ago we started the WosD, it's time to end it. It has done little beyond create new ways for government to infringe our liberty and intrude in our lives. The demand hasn't changed, the supply hasn't changed. The money at some levels feeds terrorists and criminals let's let it feed a pharmaceutical company or three instead and provide a few tax dollars just like booze and cigs do.

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Marijuana is safer than every other perscription drug.

Wanna cite a referrence for this?

Quote:
Hemp can't even make you high, and can make clothing, concrete, fuel, and clean our air faster than any other plant.

Never heard the concrete thing, but I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
No one in the history of time has died from marijuana.

I call absolute, complete, unadulterated BS on this statement. Many people have died as a direct result of driving while "high" and crashing.

Quote:
Schedule 1 narcotic means that it has no useful medical purpose. It's been proven that marijuana has much medicinal benefits.

That's been taken care of. Dronabinol, Nabilone, Marinol and Sativex can do everything that smoking the ganja can. The catch is... you can't roll you a fatty and make clouds in your mom's basement.

Look, I'm not against legalizing drugs, but lets stick to relevant, provable facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:49 am 
Journeyman Member

They died from impact, not from marijuana consumption. His point (I'm guessing) was that you can overdose on many things, but pot aint one of them.

Also, the difference between THC in pill form, and "rolling a fatty" is onset time. Swallowed, there is a considerable delay, at least compared to inhaled. On the same subject, taking it in pill form to offset the nausea and lack of appetite caused by chemo doesnt work. Smoking it, on the other hand does. Thats not from a medical journal, or clinical study. Its from my experiences with my father and his battle with cancer.

Bottom line, used medicinally, it can ease pain. To my eyes, arguing against that means that you are, in effect, for the pain of others. A morally reprehensible viewpoint by most peoples standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

QuiChenKane wrote:
They died from impact, not from marijuana consumption. His point (I'm guessing) was that you can overdose on many things, but pot aint one of them.

Also, the difference between THC in pill form, and "rolling a fatty" is onset time. Swallowed, there is a considerable delay, at least compared to inhaled. On the same subject, taking it in pill form to offset the nausea and lack of appetite caused by chemo doesnt work. Smoking it, on the other hand does. Thats not from a medical journal, or clinical study. Its from my experiences with my father and his battle with cancer.

Bottom line, used medicinally, it can ease pain. To my eyes, arguing against that means that you are, in effect, for the pain of others. A morally reprehensible viewpoint by most peoples standards.

Sorry about Dad. Cancer took my mom in 2002. Horrible disease.

As far as the argument over marijuana killing people, I'll just smile, nod and know I'm right. I've been in recovery from chemical dependency for 17 years. I've known more people than I can remember who's lives have been decimated - or ended - by the effects of drug and alcohol addiction. Ganja is no less destructive than any other mind-altering drug. To argue that weed is little more than a herbal remedy and industrial panacea is what I find reprehensible. Medically, there are other - superior - drugs for pain. No disrespect intended toward you or the loss of your father, but anecdotal evidence holds little or no sway with me.

I'd like to see some drugs legalized. It has nothing to do with treatment regimens for pain/nausea/inflamation/etc. It has to do with gov. intervention in people's lives. I want it legalized, but my argument in favor of legalization will NOT hinge on the stupid assertion that it does more good than harm.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.