Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:50 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Coffee maker - Shopping 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:16 am 
Journeyman Member

I have been roasting my own beans for several years and been a coffee geek for a few more, ;) .

A good drip pot (whatever the cost) needs to hit the right temperature. If you don't hit it, you might as well take it back.
If I buy a drip pot, I will check the temp of the brew water with a hand held thermometer. If it doesn't hit the window, back it goes. Unfortunately, quality control is all over the board unless you get "semi-commercial" stuff, but you can have good luck in almost anything. Grinder is important too (perhaps more important), if you are using whole bean, but that is another conversation altogether.
I Have one of the Cuisinart brew-into-carafe systems, and it works ok, but 99% of the time I go to one of my french presses. The real convenience factor for me is that I installed a insta hot type unit on my sink, fed with RO water, and for me, it is 5 minutes to nirvana coffee. For drip, definitely buy one of the gold funnel filters, and good luck! Feel free to ask any questions, I would love to help, and I can sure find out the answers if I don't know.
This is a wonderful resource for reviews and far too much other info, but a good quick read anyway.
http://www.coffeegeek.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:14 am 

replicant_argent wrote:
I installed a insta hot type unit on my sink, fed with RO water, and for me, it is 5 minutes to nirvana coffee.

Reverse osmosus (sp?) nice touch! I too really enjoy the french press - glad to see there are fellow coffee-geeks on the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you don't have RO or a carbon filter, then pour your water a few hours before you need it and let it sit out. Some of the stuff that ruins the taste may disipate (chlorine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

RO unit will help you get the best coffee you can get.

I have one of the Cusinarts with the thermal carafe and the built in grinder and timer - the Cadillac of coffee makers.

Problem is, it's too tall to fit under the counter. It's also got way too many moving parts for a groggy father to operate early in the morning. It's really only good if you must have fresh ground beans brewing before your feet hit the floor in the morning.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:34 am 

+1 on the Cuisinart. Thermal carafe and 12 cup capacity were my selling points. Who would have thought a coffee discussion would garner so much interest? Maybe we need a whole new forum on coffee...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:52 pm 

After three years of law school, if you can arguably call it black caffeinated coffee its good enough.

This thing heats water and pushes it through coffee grounds.
Just like Joel's snubbie: load it and pull the trigger -- no safeties, timers, or other gizmos to get in the way or confuse a sleep deprived (or hungover) lawyer.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:35 am 

A lonngg time ago, I met the brothers Dunn and the Camerons. This is when they were starting out. I blame ALL of these individuals for my subsequent addiction to the bean. I AM A VICTIM!

However, they did point me to the press and I'll stick with it. Maybe it's just me, but I find coffee that's sat in any pot for more than 15-20 mins to be barely drinkable. With the press, I just make a fresh one.

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am 
Journeyman Member

Lawyer_in_Training wrote:
After three years of law school, if you can arguably call it black caffeinated coffee its good enough.

This thing heats water and pushes it through coffee grounds.
Just like Joel's snubbie: load it and pull the trigger -- no safeties, timers, or other gizmos to get in the way or confuse a sleep deprived (or hungover) lawyer.

:D

If that works for you, more power to you.

But for some of us, that would be like saying "That lawyer is probably fine, he passed the bar...." ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:55 am 
Longtime Regular

I should have my new Cuisinart 12 cup Thermal in the next day or so. Ordered online.

Thank you very much, guys. I think it'll suit us well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Ronin069 wrote:
replicant_argent wrote:
I installed a insta hot type unit on my sink, fed with RO water, and for me, it is 5 minutes to nirvana coffee.

Reverse osmosus (sp?) nice touch! I too really enjoy the french press - glad to see there are fellow coffee-geeks on the board.

I use reverse osmosis water and grind my own beans. Other than that, I am not very picky. The RO water has substantially reduced the need to de-calcify and clean out the coffee maker as well. Installing your own RO system is not hard to do and is not that expensive. My parents and one of my brothers ended up installing the same system I did. Based on my parent's experience, I would not recommend Culligan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

ironbear wrote:
Based on my parent's experience, I would not recommend Culligan.

I have been using Commers for ages. I pay them $20/month and they change the filters once a year (used to be twice).

But now you can buy a whole system for around $100 at Menards. The filters are expensive, but less than $100. I am going to fire Commers someday.

It's also a nice urban "survivalist" addition to your house.

One thing though, it takes the fluoride out of the water. If you have kids (or even for yourself) you'll need to start using a fluoride rinse when you brush your teeth or you'll have more cavities.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.