Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 No wonder GM is going under 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

ScottM wrote:
Srigs wrote:
That is why you always have to check the tires before leaving the dealer because one area they skimp on is tires... Think Firestone and SUVs :roll: :roll: :roll:

That was actually more Ford's fault than Firestone. Ford was trying to soften the ride of the Explorer by recommending a lower than normal tire pressure. It is rare to see tire inflation pressure stickers on a truck suggesting 24psi front and 26psi rear. Mostly because it's a bad idea.

Very true!

It turned out that the Firestones had about the same failure rate as any other good tire. Ford and ignorant operators/owners were to blame for that one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:12 pm 

BRIDGESTONE DUELER AT REVO. Great traction on and off road, load rated, long wearing, nice ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:28 pm 
Journeyman Member

I had a couple sets of Wranglers about 20 years ago and was not impressed with them at all. I do know that Goodyear uses the Wrangler name on several different tires/tread patterns so there may be some good ones.

After running BFG Radial AT's I'm sold on them to the point that the last two new trucks I bought, when the dealer called me and told me my truck was in, I went down there and dropped off a set of BFG AT's and told them when you get them mounted then I'll come and pick it up. In my experience, the BFG's have good all around traction and wear very well.
I swapped the last set out with 75,000 miles on them and they still had some tread left.

I do drive on gravel roads and have been known to pull a 10 foot single disc around in a food plot when my tractor wasn't running.

Then there was the idiot in the Ford super duty that got stuck in the middle of my neighbor's wet hay field last deer season. My 1/2 ton Chevy with the BFG's pulled him out.

ETA: the above is not meant to engage in the Ford/Chevy debate, I only name names to point out that the truck I was pulling was a heavier truck than mine and the tires had the traction to do it.

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:12 pm 
On time out

Skip the drama and buy Michelins. I have had the last four sets all run over 100K and I seriously do not drive like an old lady. I beat the snot out of my cars and for me to get 100K on a set of tires on a 4wd pick up is amazing.

Michelin LT series, great tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've had good luck with Goodyear Workhorse 'Extra Grip' tires on my 4x4 pickups. 75K+ for mileage average. 8 ply tread face and 6 ply sidewalls. I've 'plowed mud' with the front bumper during spring thaw in soybean fields. No worries.

My current pickup has Continental Sportiva's on it. Roughly 75K miles on them so far. 25% tread left average.

I'd buy either of these tires in a heartbeat again with no questions asked.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:24 am 
Journeyman Member

Well, I ended up with BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's. $1,038 later. I ended up filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau over it, see where that goes. The thing is, they put passenger rated tires on a light truck. How is that not a safety issue? OE tires weren't even rated for the towing capacity of my truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:12 am 

Duelers on my Ford Monster 4x4 van never had a problem if you don't include hitting a large rock hard enough to break the aluminum wheel. Still able to put that tire on the new wheel with no future problems. Also not cheap but not too spending.

Sold me on Bridgestone for everything from that van to Z rated tires on Vette (now THOSE where spendy tire).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.