Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Anybody else been seeing this guy around? 
 Post subject: Anybody else been seeing this guy around?
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Just saw him again about 5 minutes ago. I actually saw three of them earlier this week.

Gomez the Turkey Vulture

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:24 am 
Journeyman Member

You know, that's funny..
I hadn't seen one in ages, then saw one by where they wanted to put the Vikes stadium in Blaine last week, and then 3 of them up near Grand Rapids yesterday on the way to a funeral for my Grandfather.

BTW, my first thought was "What the HELL is that!!?????" I keep a pair of field glasses on a tripod in my dining room to peek out at the birds on the pond, and I am pretty up to date on the species around here, but that one was a surprise last week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:36 am 
Longtime Regular

My wife and I canoed the Cannon River between Faribault and Northfield a couple summers ago. I do it often, but this time I was with her. We saw at least a dozen of them - real close - in a tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:02 am 
Poet Laureate

He's the carrier for the next media-hyped avian-poultry flu.
Coming soon to a Thanksgiving near you. :shock:

Run Away! Run Away!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:31 am 
Gun-Toting Liberal

They are all over the place down in my neck of the woods. We also have a ton of hawks and bald eagles riding the thermals. I don't know about anyone else but I remember when I was a kid I hardly ever saw birds of prey. I will bet I see 15 or 20 eagles on the way to Lacrosse Sunday. Actually I think all the predators are making a comeback. I hear coyotes often by my house, I've seen a fox crossing the road in Prescott on my way to work, my aunt and uncle had said the wolves were coming back around Walker, MN and I think I remember the DNR finding cougar tracks found along the Minnesota river a few years ago.

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:32 am 
Longtime Regular

ScottM wrote:
They are all over the place down in my neck of the woods. We also have a ton of hawks and bald eagles riding the thermals. I don't know about anyone else but I remember when I was a kid I hardly ever saw birds of prey. I will bet I see 15 or 20 eagles on the way to Lacrosse Sunday. Actually I think all the predators are making a comeback. I hear coyotes often by my house, I've seen a fox crossing the road in Prescott on my way to work, my aunt and uncle had said the wolves were coming back around Walker, MN and I think I remember the DNR finding cougar tracks found along the Minnesota river a few years ago.

Fifty years ago people would automatically kill anything like this. Birds of prey were all called "chicken hawks". Every farmer had a 22 and a shotgun in the barn for opportunities.

I'm not sure a vulture is a predator, I think it is more of a a scavenger, but all this stuff is a sign of heathier natural environments, (and more logical people). There is now a diversity of wildlife present which provides food for predators.

People are slowly losing their fear of wildlife. We have tons of coyotes, contrary to myth, they don't cause problems. There are lot smore bears up north; fifty years ago they were unprotected vermin.

There are actually wolves in farm country near Appleton, although the people who see them won't say that publicly, because the antis will tell out lawmakers the skys are falling and they'll want the DNR to eliminate them.

Like with gun issues, people are coming around. The old myths are falling. The "west was won" about 100 years ago, but until about 1975, nobody realized that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.