Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ford vs Chevy 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:24 pm 

Ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted a Humvee. (H1, none of them stinkin 2's 3's or the non-existent 4's) I'd love to pick a few up at gov't auction and get a working 1 or two out of it.

Heard there's a guy in Cali that for $5k can make it bio-diesel/electric hybrid, with more torque than stock, and mileage near that of a Prius.

It'd work great on the family farm, would be fun, I think...and should the zombie outbreak ever happen, would be a great 'GET OUT OF MY WAY' vehicle.

Other than that, I like the look of some classics, but don't focus too much on cars, other than they get me from A-to-B, and do it with a minimum of fuss and breaking and cost.

Computers and guns got my attention...and them women folk too :-D

(I can only focus on so many things!)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:26 pm 

GM classics I will own and love FOREVER!!! Now for newer vehicles was another story until I traded a Corvette for a Dodge magnum Hemi all wheel drive wagon. Until then it has been Toyota/Nissan for me and Subaru for the missus.

Being into classic cars I get a FEW car mags and when the Tundra came out one of them did a comparison of Tundra vs Ford as far as "made in America" is concerned and the Tundra out americaned the Ford by a wide margin. Was something like 80% on the Tundra and 66% on the Ford which included labor to build and all parts that went into building them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

larryflew wrote:
Being into classic cars I get a FEW car mags and when the Tundra came out one of them did a comparison of Tundra vs Ford as far as "made in America" is concerned and the Tundra out americaned the Ford by a wide margin. Was something like 80% on the Tundra and 66% on the Ford which included labor to build and all parts that went into building them.

That's what I try to tell folks but they don't believe me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:03 pm 

larryflew wrote:

As somebody who bleeds Ford Blue I think you're pointing out the wrong numbers.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/07/04/top-10-most-patriotic-vehicles-of-2008/
Quote:
GM alone employs more Americans than all foreign automakers combined; 40 percent of GM’s worldwide workforce is in the United States, compared to only 11 percent of Toyota’s.

Chrysler employs about 83 workers for every 2,500 vehicles sold, Ford employs 80 and General Motors 71, according to the Washington-based Level Field Institute. By comparison, Toyota employs 33 American workers for every 2,500 cars sold.

Personal experience half a dozen used Fords owned only one under warranty roughly 500,000 miles added to them maybe $1200 tops spent in replacement parts other than tires, brakes and batteries. New one on order and currently being built. Although I won't let a Ford dealer work on them unless it's under warranty.

But everybody is entitled to their choice so whatever you want is fine by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:26 am 

That may be true but the article was in 2000 when they first built the plant. Guessing since then many American vehicles are now more American than they where in 2000.

Toyota employs 33 American workers for every 2,500 cars sold.

When it comes to trucks (not including cars) and plant automation its probably because they employ less workers per vehicle, NOT because they employ less American workers per vehicle

BTW nothing wrong with the blue oval. Had my share including 57 car, Bronchos and 4 wheel drive monster van.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.