Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:19 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Obama's budget cuts 
 Post subject: Obama's budget cuts
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:05 am 
Longtime Regular

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cWt8hTayupE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cWt8hTayupE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:12 am 

Go Barry! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Yea... he could reduce the spending on the left of the 'white line' but he won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:49 am 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Yea... he could reduce the spending on the left of the 'white line' but he won't.

Sure, but to do that, he'd have to disband the military, parole all Federal prisoners, close the National Parks and National Laboratories, and terminate NASA.

Where to start?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:52 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Sure, but to do that, he'd have to disband the military, parole all Federal prisoners, close the National Parks and National Laboratories, and terminate NASA.

Where to start?

Personally, I'd start by knocking down the IRS building. Then closing the Fed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:33 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
SultanOfBrunei wrote:

Where to start?

Well, from your list I'd shutter NASA and probably Natl Labs. I'd release non-violent drug offenders and remove all drug laws. I'd also look into disbanding all branches of the service and creating a single unified .mil.

But I think that the pennies to the left of the white line also included SS, food stamps and welfare. I'd reduce those drastically. And make lots of other cuts to programs that the .gov likes to say are 'untouchable.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:

Where to start?
DEA and ATF come to mind. Admitting that the War on Drugs is a miserable failure and freeing the resources engaged in it would probably be fairly significant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:40 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Where to start?

Department of Education

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:21 pm 
Journeyman Member

Congress. Everyone of them. Even the good ones. Start fresh with new folks and pay them minimum wage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd start by pulling out my dog-eared copy of the Constitution, then going through each program and seeing if I could find explicit authorization for that program in those fine, old documents. If I found the authorization, the program stays. If I don't, out it goes.

If, at the end, I find some programs that I think are worthwhile but not authorized, I go back to the PEOPLE to see if we can come to consensus on authorizing that program and enact additional amendments as required.

It's simple really.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

QuiChenKane wrote:
Congress. Everyone of them. Even the good ones. Start fresh with new folks and pay them minimum wage.

You'd pay them? Weakling! :wink:
Let them work for free.

(And remove the minimum wage laws.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:19 pm 

What was the reason given for developing the Department of Energy during the Carter administration?

We have spent multi-billions of dollars in support of this agency and I am willing to bet not one person who reads this will remember the reason given. It was very simple.

"THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY WAS INSTITUTED TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL."

NOTE: IN 2008, THE BUDGET FOR THIS DEPARTMENT IS NOW AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR.
THEY HAVE 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
I'd start by pulling out my dog-eared copy of the Constitution, then going through each program and seeing if I could find explicit authorization for that program in those fine, old documents. If I found the authorization, the program stays. If I don't, out it goes.

If, at the end, I find some programs that I think are worthwhile but not authorized, I go back to the PEOPLE to see if we can come to consensus on authorizing that program and enact additional amendments as required.

It's simple really.

We have a winner.

But that is a nice broad stroke of some other worthy ideas, namely axing NASA, what White Horseradish said "DEA and ATF come to mind. Admitting that the War on Drugs is a miserable failure and freeing the resources engaged in it would probably be fairly significant."

I do believe Congress should be paid, but I also believe the founders never intended it to be a full time job. I like the idea of getting rid of min wage, but reckon there still has to be a poverty line. Congress should be compensated exactly what the poverty line is for their family size.

I agree that the federal Department of Education is useless and should be cut. They haven't been living up to their mission statement "Promoting educational excellence for all Americans" for a long time, actually they have been failing and getting progressively worse. Sometimes, when there is a storm at sea, you have to throw stuff overboard.

While several of ya have made specific suggestions and I might add some of my own . .. . I think Lenny put it mopst concisely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:25 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

How about part of the National Institutes of Health's 29 billion dollar study budget?

http://northernmuckraker.blogspot.com/2009/05/but-obama-could-only-find-100-million.html

Don't tell me you didn't wish to get to the bottom of why drug-addicted hookers in Thailand have a higher rate of HIV infection?

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.