Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Vegetarians 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

There is an erstwhile veterinarian (who I believe had a cable show some years ago) living north of St. Paul on Edgerton street that touts a vegetarian diet for cats and dogs. Talk about tilting at windmills. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
There is an erstwhile veterinarian (who I believe had a cable show some years ago) living north of St. Paul on Edgerton street that touts a vegetarian diet for cats and dogs. Talk about tilting at windmills. :lol:

Unbelievable!

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:25 pm 
Journeyman Member

Q. Why do people kill animals?
A. Fur convenience steak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well played by a member with the perfect name for this thread. Kudos!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:31 pm 

Vegetables aren't food...
Vegetables are what food eats!

I think it was the Saskatoon restaurant (or something like that) that had the billboard: There's plenty of room for all God's creatures - right next to the mashed potatoes!

my response for the preachy types is to just point at our canines and incisors and say - this proves we are NOT vegetarians! Homo-sapiens by design are omnivores - DEAL WITH IT (or get off my planet)!

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:

When I was looking at breeders when I was getting a dog, I came across a couple that insisted that if you bought one of their dogs you sign an agreement that you would only feed that dog a purely vegetable diet.

I thought it was a joke at first, but they insisted it was healthier for the dog. I tried to stop giggling as I pointed out that they might want to take another look at the teeth in their dog's mouth.

So odd people out there.

I did not buy from them, but later on I did feel bad about not rescuing one of their dogs from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:45 am 

Not to rain on the humor parade, but I became a vegetarian after a summer in a slaughterhouse nearly 30 years ago. Now, the only meat that I eat is game that I have taken or I personally know the person who took it. In my view, that is how it should be. If you're going to eat it, you should take the effort to hunt it, dress it and prepare it. As the Motor-City Madman once said, the turkey I put on the thanksgiving table is far more meaningful than any butterball will ever be.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled humor....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:35 am 
Longtime Regular

trob09 wrote:
Not to rain on the humor parade, but I became a vegetarian after a summer in a slaughterhouse nearly 30 years ago. Now, the only meat that I eat is game that I have taken or I personally know the person who took it. In my view, that is how it should be. If you're going to eat it, you should take the effort to hunt it, dress it and prepare it. As the Motor-City Madman once said, the turkey I put on the thanksgiving table is far more meaningful than any butterball will ever be.

The impetus for a million-dollar idea! I can see it now, all of the skeet and trap ranges across the nation having landslide business the first two weeks of November. They will be launching 25 lb. white turkeys into the air instead of clay pigeons to assist those who want to have a Thanksgiving dinner on a morally higher ground. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 am 

Traveler wrote:
trob09 wrote:

The impetus for a million-dollar idea! I can see it now, all of the skeet and trap ranges across the nation having landslide business the first two weeks of November. They will be launching 25 lb. white turkeys into the air instead of clay pigeons to assist those who want to have a Thanksgiving dinner on a morally higher ground. :roll:

and for that "extra" challenge factor :twisted: - we can work with the Air Force testers and see about launching the live birds from the pneumatic chicken gun - might have to tweak the pressures involved for optimal launch velocity without the birds being killed by the air pressure!

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:01 am 
Longtime Regular

trob09 wrote:

I can truly respect that view, and that is great that you are able to make that work. Trouble is, for a nation with a specialized workforce, not everyone will have that time or ability.

Slaughterhouses can and are a very effective tool at smashing people's innocent ideas about where their meat comes from. I saw my first at about age 8, delivering hogs. Quite sobering to say the least.

All that having been put on the table, I like my supper red, dead and corn-fed. If I took the animal, great, if not, great. My choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:01 am 

If Homo-sapiens had not started eating meat we might all look like the guys in the Geico add as neanderthal would probably have become the one that survived. It was the meat protein that allowed us to become smarter etc.

Thanks once again to not being able to sleep and nothing but Hist etc on TV besides a zillion infomercials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:31 am 
Longtime Regular

trob09 wrote:
If you're going to eat it, you should take the effort to hunt it, dress it and prepare it.

Just curious...does that also apply to eating plants? Should you plant it, grow it, cultivate and harvest it?

Thankfully that's not required. If I had to do all that myself, for meat or veggies, I'd go hungry. I don't have the time to do all that. I mean, I'd LOVE to have the time to do all that, but I don't.

I've been in a few slaughterhouses in the course of my work. Nasty places. I still eat meat though.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:34 pm 

EJSG19 wrote:

I can truly respect that view, and that is great that you are able to make that work. Trouble is, for a nation with a specialized workforce, not everyone will have that time or ability.

Slaughterhouses can and are a very effective tool at smashing people's innocent ideas about where their meat comes from. I saw my first at about age 8, delivering hogs. Quite sobering to say the least.

All that having been put on the table, I like my supper red, dead and corn-fed. If I took the animal, great, if not, great. My choice.

And I can respect that not everyone (very few in fact) share my view. I'm not militant or pushy about it, I've just heard far too many people claim "I don't want to think about where my food comes from LALALALALA"

And If I can make it work for 20 years in NYC, anyone can. It just requires that you a). be aware of the issues and b). care about them. The industry goes way, way out if it's way to ensure that neither happens.

T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:38 pm 

Lenny7 wrote:
trob09 wrote:
If you're going to eat it, you should take the effort to hunt it, dress it and prepare it.

Just curious...does that also apply to eating plants? Should you plant it, grow it, cultivate and harvest it?

Thankfully that's not required. If I had to do all that myself, for meat or veggies, I'd go hungry. I don't have the time to do all that. I mean, I'd LOVE to have the time to do all that, but I don't.

I've been in a few slaughterhouses in the course of my work. Nasty places. I still eat meat though.

While I do have my own garden, I am not self-sufficient on food. In my opinion, there is a bit of a difference in planting and harvesting vegetables vs. raising livestock for food. Also in my opinion, having been in a few slaughterhouses is still somewhat different from clocking in every day for months on end. Others are free to disagree as they see fit.

I do appreciate the food I've grown more than food that I've bought though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.