Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Polish Plexiglass 
 Post subject: Polish Plexiglass
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:04 am 

My company bought another that was going belly up. We inherited a whole bunch of flat screen monitors. One of the big ones got a 1" scratch on the face during the move.

Is there a product or a way to polish out the scratch. I have done the clean pencil eraser; good but not great. I followed up with vasaline to "fill in" the scratch. Better, but still not great.

So how about it; any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Well this might be a bit aggressive, but I bought a motorcycle once that the previous owner had applied Armor-All to the gauge faces and frosted the plastic. If I remember right, I used 800 grit to cut through the frosted layer, 1200 grit dry, then wet, to take out the marks. Then some buffing with polishing compound, followed by a two bottle plastic cleaning/polishing combo I got at a boat store, that was recommended for boat windows and motorcycle windscreens (can't remember the name off-hand).

Looked pretty good when I was done, not quite crystal clear, but I was getting tired of the whole process and probably didn't buff with polishing compound as long I could have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 am 
Longtime Regular

One of these might do it:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:50 am 
Poet Laureate

The title of this thread had me thinking I was going to read a good Polish joke involving plexiglass. Alas, not the case. :(

Post subject: Re: Polish Plexiglass
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm not sure that flat screen monitor faces are plexiglass.

That said, a little toothpaste (yes, really) will buff scratches out of a watch face. I just did that this morning after discovering a big scratch on my week-old watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:
The title of this thread had me thinking I was going to read a good Polish joke involving plexiglass. Alas, not the case. :(

I thought it might be a thread about plywood or sheetmetal of something.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Last edited by Binky .357 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Most of the LCD monitors I sit in front of have a film-like top layer. If you have a hard plastic/plexi top layer it may be a semi-permenant protective cover that can be removed.

WikiHow says to use an exacto/razor to clean the rough edge of the scratch. Then use rubbing compound to clean it up a bit.

They also suggest filling the scratch lightly with vasoline, it is supposed to hide it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Most of the LCD monitors I sit in front of have a film-like top layer. If you have a hard plastic/plexi top layer it may be a semi-permenant protective cover that can be removed.

If you do have a hard plastic laver over the front of the viewing area, you can use the following product.
Novus plastic Polish
It works great with Lexan or Plexiglass. If used according to the directions, scratches will totally disappear.

If you just have the traditional LCD silicone like film on the monitor, then you're probably SOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:46 pm 

question, dose the screen have a high gloss to it or is it a mat finish? the polishes may be able to help you but you will likely do more dammage then good.
The other suggestion I'd have would be to see if you can pop of the trim and replace the plastic I had to do this on the screen in a car a bought the previous owner must of cleaned the screen with a 3m pad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:23 am 

Mat finish.

I am doing the vaseline trick now. Looking for a more permanent solution.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.