Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:40 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ron Paul and non-interventionism 
 Post subject: Oddly enough
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:28 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

Last winter or spring I made a post at the Ron Paul forum along the lines of we should air drop a bunch of AKs and ammo near the Darfur refugee camps, a couple people had a coniption fit. I was kinda surprised.

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Oddly enough
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

ScottM wrote:
Last winter or spring I made a post at the Ron Paul forum along the lines of we should air drop a bunch of AKs and ammo near the Darfur refugee camps, a couple people had a coniption fit. I was kinda surprised.

If the "Christian Childrens Fund" adopted this policy, I would have absolutely no problem donating a full 50% of my income to their worthy cause. Food for today, but only to raise a productive "peoples army".

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:27 pm 

ScottM wrote:

Some Ron Paul supporters subscribe to the hard line view of non-interventionism.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
ScottM wrote:

Some Ron Paul supporters subscribe to the hard line view of non-interventionism.

Eh, I've also seen a few express what I can only call racism as well. In a conversation about the invasion of Iraq I know of couple Ron Paul supporters who expressed the opinion that Iraqis were too primitive for Democracy.

Not inexperienced at it, just primitive.

Thankfully I've found that's not the consensus opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:54 am 

gyrfalcon wrote:

Yeah, I've almost considered jumping ship and becoming a Libertarian due to the actions of Politicians calling themselves Republicans, who fail to act in a manner consistent with it's true spirit. The Libertarians point-of-view is that taxpayer dollars shouldn't pay for these conflicts but rather they should be paid for by private interests who have a stake in the conflict. Kinda sounds like a recipe for anarchy. This link http://www.lpmn.org/faq.php to the Minnesota Libertarian Party explains their philsophy, much of which I frankly find unrealistic if not absurd (not to start any fights here or anything). :wink:

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by Harland on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 am 

gyrfalcon wrote:
ScottM wrote:

Some?

I was under the impression that it was a prerequisite.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:47 am 
Poet Laureate

djeepp wrote:
gyrfalcon wrote:
ScottM wrote:

Some?

It's a prerequisite if you subscribe to the Founder's view of foreign and domestic politics.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:04 am 

Carbide Insert wrote:
It's a prerequisite if you subscribe to the Founder's view of foreign and domestic politics.

Oooohh, this could be the start of a long and complex dialog. :o

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:09 am 

Carbide Insert wrote:
djeepp wrote:
gyrfalcon wrote:
ScottM wrote:

Some?

I'll take that as a yes and put Carbide Insert under the Ron Paul supporters category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:33 am 
Poet Laureate

Take it as a yes if you like, but my statement had nothing to do with Ron Paul. 8)

You just endorsed him by associating his political viewpoint with that of the Founding Fathers! :D

(If, of course, you believe that the Founders had the right ideas and knew what they were doing, when they formed the greatest system of government ever devised, resulting in maximum liberty and prosperity for all.)

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:15 am 

Carbide Insert wrote:
Take it as a yes if you like, but my statement had nothing to do with Ron Paul. 8)

You just endorsed him by associating his political viewpoint with that of the Founding Fathers! :D

(If, of course, you believe that the Founders had the right ideas and knew what they were doing, when they formed the greatest system of government ever devised, resulting in maximum liberty and prosperity for all.)

:wink:

How poetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:02 pm 

I agree with the non-intervention policy in that I don't think our tax money should go to support foreign causes.

With that said I'm in full agreement with Binky .357. If a charity wanted to collect money for the purpose of buying guns and sending them over to people being oppressed by evil people with guns I'd donate money and time.

I don't like running to our government for every cause under the sun. They can take care of this country and those of us who want to help other can do so on our own time and with our own money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:08 pm 

My argument for foreign involvement is this: The world has become so complex and the economy so global in nature that we almost have been given no choice but to intercede in matters beyond our shores. We NEED (at least today,) foreign oil. Is it ideal? Probably not. There are some very complex issues at work in a world that looks to the US for leadership. (And yes I understand that not ALL of the world looks to us for that leadership)

-Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:38 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

Harland wrote:
My argument for foreign involvement is this: The world has become so complex and the economy so global in nature that we almost have been given no choice but to intercede in matters beyond our shores. We NEED (at least today,) foreign oil. Is it ideal? Probably not. There are some very complex issues at work in a world that looks to the US for leadership. (And yes I understand that not ALL of the world looks to us for that leadership)

Yes we do need foreign oil but there is also a marketplace that sets the price of said oil. The problem arises when we decide the price is too high and then use military force or prop up a dictator with aid and military training to guarantee a supply. I don't see how that can be considered moral or ethical. As we use our military to bully others into acceeding to our will fewer and fewer countries will look to us for that leadership and in fact more will reject our lead as it is morally bankrupt and more in line with a colonial ideology which has been proven to not work.
Unless you think the destruction of Saddam and the Baath party, creating a civil war/ sectarian bloodbath, the deaths or wounding of US servicemen and women in Iraq and wasted billions has been cheaper than buying oil at market rates.

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:50 pm 

Guess I'm just an imperialist at Heart 8)

-Theodore Roosevelt

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.