Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Wood Refinishing 
 Post subject: Wood Refinishing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:00 pm 

Anyone out there refinish wood or know of someone who does quality work? I have a Victor Victrola talking machine from the early 1900's and while it's in very good condition, there are some areas I'd like to be improved, not sure if the entire piece needs to be done in order or what options I may have.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

There's a place called Vintage Music at 38th and Chicago that specializes in 78rpm records and players. I took the motor from the cabinet record player my grandfather made in shop class in 1924, to be rebuilt, and while they weren't exactly quick, they did do a fine job. (Finding replacement springs for these old motors can sometimes take a while).

I don't know that they do refinishing, but some of the players they have in the shop have amazing finishes on them, and I'm certain that could give an informed recommendation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

It might be worth more in original condition. Refinishing might really lower the value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:42 pm 

tman065 wrote:
It might be worth more in original condition. Refinishing might really lower the value.

You beat me to it.

Decide first if you just want to improve the finish and are not conccerned about future sale value. So many people have small areas touched up on something thinking it's no big deal and then find out later when they want to sell it that it was worth much more with that little problem area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:47 pm 

True. There is just one spot on the red mahogany...(it's on the right side where the crank knob is, can't see it in the photo) and I don't really want it refinished, just that area cleaned up, or whatever may be possible... if anything, otherwise, may live with it. This is my second one. I guess, I have a collection! They sound great, too.

and, the other:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.