Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:11 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Blackberry Bold or I-Phone 3G? 
 Post subject: Blackberry Bold or I-Phone 3G?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:43 pm 

ARGH! Was fishing on Winnie this weekend and soaked my Blackberry - now I am debating upgrading (?) to an I-Phone...any one have experience with the I-Phone vs. Blackberry? I JUST WANT A FLIPPIN' PHONE THAT DOES WHAT I WANT IT TO :bang:

Post subject: Re: Blackberry Bold or I-Phone 3G?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:49 pm 
The Man

Ronin069 wrote:
ARGH! Was fishing on Winnie this weekend and soaked my Blackberry - now I am debating upgrading (?) to an I-Phone...any one have experience with the I-Phone vs. Blackberry? I JUST WANT A FLIPPIN' PHONE THAT DOES WHAT I WANT IT TO :bang:
Well, to belabor the obvious: what do you want your phone to do? I really, really like my IPod, and am probably, at some point, going to switch to the IPhone -- but they are a little delicate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Ronin069 wrote:
Well, to belabor the obvious: what do you want your phone to do? I really, really like my IPod, and am probably, at some point, going to switch to the IPhone -- but they are a little delicate.

Tell that to mine. :lol:

With the right case, the iPhone is about indestructible (trust me, I've tried...not on purpose, of course). The optical glass for the front goes a long way toward preventing wear and tear. Throw a screen cover on it along with a solid plastic case, you're set.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:50 pm 

I went from a Blackberry to an Iphone last november. Needed to have a phone, email, internet, misc. The Iphone had me a little worried that it wouldn't be great for work, but has been a winner. The biggest reason I suggest the Iphone to friends is because of all the applications from the app store. It just about has everything you could wish for or have a use for. I have apps I use to track mileage for work, expenses, news sites, cool games, you name it. Blackberry has a new app store, but has nowhere near the vast amount of stuff that Apple's does.

My only true knock on the Iphone as to this date is that until today there was no cut and paste, and no support for picture messages. That, and I really wish that you could get it through Verizon, because ATT, while not as bad as people say, is still not as good as verizon. Hope this helps.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:54 pm 
The Man

rusty shackleford wrote:
I went from a Blackberry to an Iphone last november. Needed to have a phone, email, internet, misc. The Iphone had me a little worried that it wouldn't be great for work, but has been a winner. The biggest reason I suggest the Iphone to friends is because of all the applications from the app store. It just about has everything you could wish for or have a use for. I have apps I use to track mileage for work, expenses, news sites, cool games, you name it. Blackberry has a new app store, but has nowhere near the vast amount of stuff that Apple's does.

My only true knock on the Iphone as to this date is that until today there was no cut and paste, and no support for picture messages. That, and I really wish that you could get it through Verizon, because ATT, while not as bad as people say, is still not as good as verizon. Hope this helps.

Kevin

As to the latter, there are "jailbreaked" IPhones, which you can use with any provider. I'm vaguely in the market for one set up for Tmobile.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:08 pm 

It really depends on what you want in a phone... I love my HTC Touch Pro, with windows mobile everything is customizable if you're into tinkering (unlock -> flash new roms, etc). It has internet access, email, picture messaging, COPY / PASTE, has a full sliding keyboard, GPS (depending on provider you might have to pay extra), and you can install all sorts of programs.

The two options you chose are somewhat different...small qwerty keyboard vs touch, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:10 pm 

Iphone!

word

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

*sigh* Anyone remember when a phone just called people.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Copy / Paste and MMS are on iPhones now. 3.0 software got released today. Running like a charm so far!

ETA - MMS will be coming once AT&T pulls head out of butt. It's in the software, but it's provider dependent.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:24 pm 

Just to throw a wrench in the works, I'd say neither. Look at the Windows Mobile devices such as the balckjack or Q. I've implemented well over 100 of these at 2 different companies and the ability to sync with your outlook desktop wihtout a bunch of middleware makes it the easy choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:43 pm 

Syncing with Outlook was a BIG concern of mine as well. My iphone syncs automatically with my outlook, both with calendar and email. You can also get it to work with MS Exchange, but the regular data plan works great for my needs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

rusty shackleford wrote:
Syncing with Outlook was a BIG concern of mine as well. My iphone syncs automatically with my outlook, both with calendar and email. You can also get it to work with MS Exchange, but the regular data plan works great for my needs.

Yup. About one third of our company is on iPhones (close to 30 people out of a 85 person shop), and we are an Exchange house.

The 3.0 release today brought additional Exchange calendar functionality. Woohoo!

Of course, I only use Outlook via our terminal server. My work machine is a Mac. :mrgreen:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

mmcnx2 wrote:
Just to throw a wrench in the works, I'd say neither. Look at the Windows Mobile devices such as the balckjack or Q. I've implemented well over 100 of these at 2 different companies and the ability to sync with your outlook desktop wihtout a bunch of middleware makes it the easy choice.

+1 for winmobile

I'm driving a Samsung Saga. QWERTY keyboard, touch-screen. There is an browser that allows full FLASH video use. It syncs completely to MS EXCHANGE. Oh, and it has an optical mouse that kicks ass.

Not sure what I'll end up with next year. Verizon has to sell my region to AT&T.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:56 pm 

I used to have a Moto Q. Couldn't stand that piece of crap. Locked up all the time or would just shut off in the middle of a call or browsing. Battled with it for 2 years. Got an iPhone 6 months ago. Love it! Very tough and no problems yet. That reminds me, I swore I was gonna use that Q for target practice. hmmm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:

+1 for winmobile

I'm driving a Samsung Saga. QWERTY keyboard, touch-screen. There is an browser that allows full FLASH video use. It syncs completely to MS EXCHANGE. Oh, and it has an optical mouse that kicks ass.

Not sure what I'll end up with next year. Verizon has to sell my region to AT&T.

Yeah, the Flash functionality is one thing that the iPhone does lack. :(

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.