Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Senate to apologize for slavery 
 Post subject: Senate to apologize for slavery
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here :http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.CON.RES.26:

So, I called Sen. Klobachar's office to inquire about this and why she felt this was necessary and needed to be a co-sponsor. I voiced my objection to this garbage. I was polite, but opinionated and got hung up on for my view. Nice. :bang:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Senate to apologize for slavery
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:42 pm 

her campaign slogan was "born cross-eyed". you get what you pay for

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm still waiting for my apology for Catholic disenfranchisement in the U.S. in the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. Jews are welcome to get in line too. We're all "victims" of some sort. Get over it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:06 pm 

That's a good point. As a Jew, I feel there are some Protestants who owe me and my people some country club memberships. Sure, there's a list of grievances, but you know what? That'd do it for me. Just give us the golf memberships and we're golden.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

We're paying them to pass this type of worthless tripe, folks. This in no way helps combat racism (which is a very real problem), nor does it do anything else other than waste taxpayer dollars.

ETA - Today begins my "Let's put Amy Klobuchar on unemployment" campaign.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

On behalf of my Cheyenne ancestors, I'll see your religions and your races and raise you an entire nation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

I just want an apology for my family being forced out of Sweden on pain of death.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Slavery is BAAAAD, and all, but nevertheless slaves were valuable property. I'd like to see the compensation for the ones taken from my family, and never returned, by the US government. With interest.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have no problem with the concept of an apology for slavery, although there is no one alive today that has kept slaves, and no one alive that was a slave, and that many people died in a war that was directly related to the abolition of slavery in the United States of America - with the caveats that the discussion is now ended, and that there will be no further whining or claims regarding this issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
...although there is no one alive today that has kept slaves, and no one alive that was a slave, ...

I think you mean to say that, in the U.S.A., there is no one alive today that has legally kept slaves and no one alive that was a legally- kept slave. Those organizations who track such things, say that there are more slaves in the world today, then there has ever been before. While not legal in most places, slavery still exists, even in America.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

I feel pretty slighted.

Half my ancestors got here in chains (Thanks for the ride James II). It is a little talked about fact that African slaves were more expensive during the late 1600s (50 Sterling) Irish slaves were cheap (no more than 5 Sterling). The other half were starved into getting on the boats in the 1840's . . . in any case, I think it is racist and biggoted for Congress to only appologize to the descendants of salves of African origin. As if the chains on Irish wrists were lighter and the whips used on Irish backs were softer somehow. Pretty insulting and offensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
I feel pretty slighted.

Half my ancestors got here in chains (Thanks for the ride James II). It is a little talked about fact that African slaves were more expensive during the late 1600s (50 Sterling) Irish slaves were cheap (no more than 5 Sterling). The other half were starved into getting on the boats in the 1840's . . . in any case, I think it is racist and biggoted for Congress to only appologize to the descendants of salves of African origin. As if the chains on Irish wrists were lighter and the whips used on Irish backs were softer somehow. Pretty insulting and offensive.

But it's not like the Irish had to deal with continued racism, derogatory stereotypes, and violence in their homelands...umm...wait a second...whoops. :oops:

Nothing like forgetting about the rest of the 1800s and that Africans weren't the only group having troubles.

In other words, +1 to Macx.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I think you mean to say that, in the U.S.A., there is no one alive today that has legally kept slaves and no one alive that was a legally- kept slave. Those organizations who track such things, say that there are more slaves in the world today, then there has ever been before. While not legal in most places, slavery still exists, even in America.

I believe the "apology" is for the institutionalized slavery that was part and parcel for many southern and some western states prior to 1863 and the Emancipation Proclamation. Under the terms specified by the bill, my comment still appears valid that there are no former slaves nor former slave holders alive today.

I further believe that I read somewhere that Minnesota sent a large contingent of soldiers to fight for the Union against the Confederacy, and among the issues of that Civil War was the issue of institutionalized and legalized slavery. Somewhere off of the Summit Boulevard and John Ireland Boulevard nexus is some sort of statuary monument to a couple of Minnesota soldiers that might have died in that kerfuffle. I doubt that the bill that Ms. Klobuchar is co-authoring deals with an apology for Minnesota sending those soldiers to fight some 140 odd years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
Quote:

I believe the "apology" is for the institutionalized slavery that was part and parcel for many southern and some western states prior to 1863 and the Emancipation Proclamation. Under the terms specified by the bill, my comment still appears valid that there are no former slaves nor former slave holders alive today.

I further believe that I read somewhere that Minnesota sent a large contingent of soldiers to fight for the Union against the Confederacy, and among the issues of that Civil War was the issue of institutionalized and legalized slavery. Somewhere off of the Summit Boulevard and John Ireland Boulevard nexus is some sort of statuary monument to a couple of Minnesota soldiers that might have died in that kerfuffle. I doubt that the bill that Ms. Klobuchar is co-authoring deals with an apology for Minnesota sending those soldiers to fight some 140 odd years ago.

That would require Ms. Klobuchar to actually represent Minnesota. I've rarely seen such a useless politician as she happens to be.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:43 pm 

Traveler wrote:
many people died in a war that was directly related to the abolition of slavery in the United States of America

Although I hate to nitpick, I certainly love to hate it. That's a common misconception which isn't your fault, and you don't need me to tell you that. Still, (nitpicking, better than sex I tell you) the idea that the American Civil War was fought over the issue of slavery is largely promulgated by modern media, especially the History Channel, in the pursuit of political correctness, which makes it no less false. Abolition is just the best thing that anyone has ever been able to pick out of the ashes. If Lincoln thought it would have helped in preventing open conflict, well, ammunition wouldn't be the only hot commodity right now. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.