Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:03 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Camping near the Twin Cities? Anything handy? 
 Post subject: Camping near the Twin Cities? Anything handy?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just looking for a spot to chill out & do a little camping, not looking for a major excursion. North shore is great and all, but what is nearest the cities if I should just get a wild hair and want to grab gear and go .. . . say, no more planning and travel time than elapses between supper and sundown? I have looked at the DNR website and they mention a place called Minnesota Valley State Park out in Jordan that sounds great on their site, but was hoping to get the voice of experience or at least Minnesota locals for alternatives.

What is the deal with down by the river? I have in my walks around Fort Snelling, Mississippi Gorge Park and Minnehaha, seen evidence of people camping down by the river, but of course the Fort Snelling State Park says they don't "have" camping. Anyway, just curious about the non-campground camping I have seen evidence of.

I have the camping itch pretty bad right now and leave less of a foot print than the most fastidious boyscout.

Post subject: Re: Camping near the Twin Cities? Anything handy?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:45 pm 
In the time out chair

Look up William obrian or obrien state park. Nice campgrounds near taylors falls.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:43 am 
Longtime Regular

My son and his fiancee' go camping at the Kruger Campground/State Park (part of the Richard J. Dorer/Whitewater Park State Forest), every year on Fathers Day weekend. While I've never been there (I did enough 'camping' while I was in the Army), my son, along with several school friends (think class of '00), have camped/spent time there and I've heard nothing but good things about the place. Besides, if it was screwed up, my son wouldn't go back, no matter what.

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.as ... HGM046-071

http://www.hikercentral.com/campgrounds/116608.html

Edited by me to fix a typo. :bang:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Last edited by Hunter07 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Sweet, "hike in" and the more secluded the better. Please keep ideas coming, I have a lot of summer stretching out yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:42 am 

Depends what you want.

Among the closest to the cities, Cleary Lake park reserve in Lakeville has nice views but is heavily built up and has too many people and too many rules.

The Nerstrand-Big Woods state park is an hour's drive from downtown Minneapolis and offers both water+electric sites and what they call "rustic" sites that are still drive-in but lack water and electric. The rustic sites are more isolated. It's inexpensive. There are hiking trails through roughly two square miles of hardwood forest, and a picturesque waterfall. The downside is the lack of much else going on in the way of attractions. The park is underutilized and is hardly ever anywhere near capacity except on holiday weekends.

On the more rustic side, there is a wilderness area along the Cannon River between Northfield and Faribault that has a number of hike-in access points. It's relatively unimproved and appeals to canoeists and hikers. Reasonable camping locations are a couple miles' walk in, IIRC.

Further out, I believe Whitewater has been mentioned; on its edge is the commercially run Lazy D Campground which is right on the river and has spaces for tent camping and RVs. They have a swimming pool and are generally cleaner and better run that the state operations. Frontenac is in the same general area and has excellent views from the tops of the river bluffs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:01 am 

I camped at the MN Valley Quarry campground several times when the kids were young. It's heavily wooded and very quiet. They do have walk in sites. Not much to do except hike and fish. If you like hiking and sitting around the campfire, it's great. It has a spring for drinking water, but it's currently closed. You have to go to the trail center (half mile drive or shorter walk) for water.

I hiked there about 2 weeks ago and there were few bugs - I imagine that's changed now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
Depends what you want.

Among the closest to the cities, Cleary Lake park reserve in Lakeville has nice views but is heavily built up and has too many people and too many rules.

Actually that's in Savage.

We like William O'Brien. We also camped at Baker Park Preserve...it was ok. Check out Afton State Park too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:32 pm 

MostlyHarmless wrote:
Further out, I believe Whitewater has been mentioned; on its edge is the commercially run Lazy D Campground which is right on the river and has spaces for tent camping and RVs. They have a swimming pool and are generally cleaner and better run that the state operations.

Whitewater is a great park, but for weekend camping you need to get reservations well ahead of time. Supposedly it's the most popular state park in MN. Never been to the Lazy D, but I hear it nice. Also, in the nearby town of Elba there's an old fire tower that you can climb the view is amazing. Of course, you have to climb the hill (~450 ft) first...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Just got back from Afton yesterday ... tried to post up some pics, but they don't seem to want to . . . oh, pixels, too many. . . . Anyway it was a great time. I am looking forward to checking out some of these other places. I am loving the new camping hammock. What a brilliant idea!

Ack, can't seem to post pics still.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:41 am 

Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park is southeast of Rochester. It has nice wooded camping as well as a cave to tour. If you like biking, the Root River trail system is not far away in Lanesboro.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Wiscosotan wrote:
Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park is southeast of Rochester. It has nice wooded camping as well as a cave to tour. If you like biking, the Root River trail system is not far away in Lanesboro.

Some good trout fishing around there too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:12 pm 

Lake Elmo Park Preserve. You won't even know your in the metro.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've heard good things about the Frontenac park also, I believe it is down beyond Hastings. We haven't had the chance to try it yet though. Supposedly some sites are up on a bluff/cliff overlooking the river and it makes for good views.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:04 pm 
Journeyman Member

Cant go wrong with Afton or St Croix Bluffs regional park (5 miles south of Afton). Both are great at offering various levels of seclusion. Oh, and if you go to St. Croix, I routinely launch my boat there - might be 'coerced' into taking a fellow gunny for a spin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

There are a few sites around the cities that are worthwhile, the one I know of for sure (in the metro) is the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Area campground down near the Jordan/Chaska area. Haven't been there myself, but from what I've seen, it's close to the cities and yet pretty isolated from the surrounding suburbs.

As for some of the further-reaching parks, Tettagouche and Whitewater are two that I have been to in recent past. Of the two, I preferred Tettagouche on the North Shore. We made our reservations in January for the 4th of July weekend and sites were already hard to come by.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.