Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:41 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Is your name on your front door? 
 Post subject: Is your name on your front door?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Alright, this may seem strange at first... but bear with me. After the countless wrong address raids by generally good intentioned police, I got to thinking. I wonder if you had your last name somewhere on your house, perhaps the front door, if that would catch one of the SWAT team member's eyes and make them double check that they have the right house.
I can see how some people may argue, "It would be advertising your last name to anyone who drives by." But I think that anyone who wants to know who lives in my house just has to do a little digging in public records or heck, open my mailbox. If neither of those work I have an old lady neighbor that would gladly tell you not only my name, but would give you the whole history of the house dating back to the '50s.
Also, if some thug was going to break in... well, what does he care what my last name is?

Im sure there are problems with doing this that I'm simply not thinking of. It is just a thought, and may prevent a group of guys from pointing guns at me. Thoughts?

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject: Re: Is your name on your front door?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

That actually makes a lot of sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, it mighta helped the Khang's . . . .

But it still won't stop Judge Patricia (what's due process) Belois from issuing a warrant just because someone asks. . . . that in a way is the more heinous issue & no ammount of signage is going to slow the GSF down in their crusade against antique doors, lovable pups, and the Bill of Rights.

But then the Khang's had all the earmarks of a nice Hmong family with tricycles and the like & an abject lack of 80's sedans riding on 22's. Not sure if officer's missed that & still didn't clue in when they enountered Yee Moua watching TV & not Rolling 60's Crips stuffing dime bags for tomorrow's sale, yeah, if they missed all that . . . and still had to fire off 22 or more rounds of spray and pray . . . nope, not sure signage would be adequate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:53 am 

Macx wrote:
Well, it mighta helped the Khang's . . . .

But it still won't stop Judge Patricia (what's due process) Belois from issuing a warrant just because someone asks. . . . that in a way is the more heinous issue & no ammount of signage is going to slow the GSF down in their crusade against antique doors, lovable pups, and the Bill of Rights.

But then the Khang's had all the earmarks of a nice Hmong family with tricycles and the like & an abject lack of 80's sedans riding on 22's. Not sure if officer's missed that & still didn't clue in when they enountered Yee Moua watching TV & not Rolling 60's Crips stuffing dime bags for tomorrow's sale, yeah, if they missed all that . . . and still had to fire off 22 or more rounds of spray and pray . . . nope, not sure signage would be adequate.

Not sure it'd be adequate, but it'd be one extra thing...and if they DID walk past the sign, after having seen the warrant, name and all - it COULD give you a little extra leverage in any after-the-fact dealings. "So, you had a search warrant for Joe Smith's House. The house you no-knock-entered had a big "Welcome - Andersons" sign out front. Why didn't that make you double-check? Do you turn your brains off once you get to the location?"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 am 
Longtime Regular

How many serially knocked up Baby Momma/Daddy situations have only one name?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Ya think most of them can read?
The way things have been going lately, it make you wonder if some of these "public servants" are rational, thinking, sentient beings.

Last edited by Dee on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:01 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Reading the question, I thought that it might be a good idea to put the wrong name on a house to thwart evil doers. But, if someone is going to use your name, they would grab your mail and wouldn't pay much attention to the name on a house. I would still feel a little uncomfortable putting a name on a house in say Minneapolis.

I suppose for a little humor, you could use "these are not the droids you are looking for".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
Reading the question, I thought that it might be a good idea to put the wrong name on a house to thwart evil doers. But, if someone is going to use your name, they would grab your mail and wouldn't pay much attention to the name on a house. I would still feel a little uncomfortable putting a name on a house in say Minneapolis.

I suppose for a little humor, you could use "these are not the droids you are looking for".

I like it! :mrgreen:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:46 am 

Putting your name on your front door is not a good idea. A burglar could look up your phone number and call to see if you are home before breaking in.

I do recommend putting large, visible house numbers out front; they will help the police/fire/pizza guy find your house. If they are mis-reading the warrant, they should be able to tell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:53 am 

My knee jerk reaction was, "nope bad idea...". But, you do have a valid point that anyone wanting to find out your name doesn't have to go to far, your mailbox, ask your neighbor, look it up in public records, etc. I could see doing it if you lived in certain areas were certain types of activity might be more prone to take place. Like you said, it just 'might' make someone think. But then again, hell, if they can't get the address right, what's in a name?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Q_Continuum wrote:
Not sure it'd be adequate, but it'd be one extra thing...and if they DID walk past the sign, after having seen the warrant, name and all - it COULD give you a little extra leverage in any after-the-fact dealings. "So, you had a search warrant for Joe Smith's House. The house you no-knock-entered had a big "Welcome - Andersons" sign out front. Why didn't that make you double-check? Do you turn your brains off once you get to the location?"

Agreed....it adds a little more credibility to the "Are you SWAT guys French or just retarded?" accusations in court.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.