Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Computer Repair or Advice 
 Post subject: Computer Repair or Advice
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:10 am 
Journeyman Member

I can fix nearly any computer issue you may have or offer advice on nearly anything computer related. I have 25 years of experience and my rates and work are better than any of the service you can get elsewhere. Give me a shot (pardon the pun)

Post subject: Re: Computer Repair or Advice
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:40 pm 

I'll take you up on that as I've been meaning to post here anyway seeing as how many of the members are IS and IT knowledgable.

I've got a Samsung Syncmaster 19" (or so) LCD monitor that is about 4 to 5 years old. Won't turn on or stay on if it comes on. When we push the on/off button, it flashes for a split second, but then goes right back off. A couple of times it has stayed on but then won't work again later. I've hooked up other monitors to the computer and they work fine so I know this isn't a problem arising from the computer's video card or otherwise. I figure it's probably lived its useful life, but if there was an easy fix to it, I'd try that. Would appreciate your advice as to whether you think it's worth fixing.

PM me if you want to take this offline.

Thanks in advance,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's the LCD backlight. It's hosed. It's probably more expensive to fix than to replace.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:38 pm 
Journeyman Member

LCDs are tough. If it were the switch or power inverter it may be worth pusuing repair...I would say it is more likely as DeanC said, the backlight. This means About 175 bucks at a minimum to repair. 19" LCDs can be had, new for 100 bucks at the Medina OfficeMax and others as well I am sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:51 am 
Raving Moderate

onebohemian wrote:
I'll take you up on that as I've been meaning to post here anyway seeing as how many of the members are IS and IT knowledgable.

You'll find there are a LOT of us IT geeks hereabouts... :D

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
onebohemian wrote:

1 or 2.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
onebohemian wrote:

Yup, and there are even a few folks who actually KNOW something. :lol:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:45 am 
Longtime Regular

So, since we're on the topic...

I've been playing with crypto, lately. Running hillclimbers, etc. And some of my runs have taken 18+ hours on my arthritic 1.2GHz AMD Sempron.

Now most folks, when they say they need a faster computer, haven't a clue what they're talking about. They need faster drives, or more memory, or a faster video card. Not many of them will really benefit from a faster CPU, and few use their desktops in a way that would get much use out of a second processor.

What I'm doing, though, really would benefit from more CPU number-crunching capability. And the problems are such that they are often easy to parallelize, so they would benefit from a multi-processor or multi-core setup.

So, the question. What would the most bang-for-the-buck, for an oldish fart who's looking for a lot of CPU for almost no money?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:52 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
onebohemian wrote:
[...]many of the members are IS and IT knowledgable.

And even a few who will ADMIT when they DON'T ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:02 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
mrokern wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
onebohemian wrote:
[...]many of the members are IS and IT knowledgable.

And even a few who will ADMIT when they DON'T ;-)

Hey, I did just that at lunch yesterday!

Still not fixed, by the way...but I've got some more ideas! :lol:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:09 pm 
Journeyman Member

A Dual or Quad Core CPU would be a huge step up for you given what you are doing. Problem is, whether your motherboard will take such a change. Odds are good it won't. So that means either a new motherborad/CPU combo, which likely also means different memory, or a new computer. I am sure your monitor and other peripherals are good to keep so just the pc itself is what I am talking about. No more than 400 bucks will get you a fast dual core system with 4 gig of memory to boot. Not exactly cheap but will make a considerable improvement in processing time. You may be able to get a motherboard/CPU combo and memory that will work in your existing case for less. Let me know if you want more info.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

diskdoctr@yahoo.com wrote:
A Dual or Quad Core CPU would be a huge step up for you given what you are doing. Problem is, whether your motherboard will take such a change.

Current motherboard is Socket A, so a new one is in the cards. I'm thinking my current power supply and cooling would be adequate, so the existing case would probably be fine.

Are there any chips out their that don't support virtualization, these days? I run Linux, and it'd be nice to run Windows in a VM at a decent speed, my current chip doesn't support it.

(Also, I'm noticing that none of the current MBs support more than one IDE channel, so I'd need a SATA DVD burner. They seem to be dirt cheap, though.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:33 pm 
Journeyman Member

You should be good for a new CPU then. As for IDE, most boards today are primarily either SATA or SAS. Some do have IDE channels as well, but not all so you have to check the specs or look at the board to find out

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:53 am 
Longtime Regular

I would suggest not messing around with a four or five year old machine. By the time you change out the motherboard, processor and memory, you're looking at spending about $350 to $400. You will probably need a new operating system too depending on the licensing of your old system.

You can pick up a brand new machine for less than that. It is getting extremely difficult to justify building my own PC like I used to. Just as an example look at these Dell's below. They are basic low end PC's that you could start with. I would add more memory, get a slightly better processor and maybe wait till the Windows 7 comes out in October but you get the idea. There are many other companies who have competitively priced machines.

Inspiron 537s ($269)
Mainstream Value with 8 Vibrant Colors
Processors
Intel® Celeron® 450 (512K L2, 2.2GHz, 800FSB)
Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic SP1, 32-Bit
Optical Drives
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Memory
2GB2 Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM3 at 800MHz- 2 DIMMs
HDDs
320GB4 Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

Studio Slim-Tower ($399)
Intel® Pentium® dual-core E5200 (2MB L2, 2.5GHz, 800FSB)
Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
Optical Drive
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Memory
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM3 at 800MHz- 2DIMMs
Hard Drive
500GB5 Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

There is also something like this for a system with a little more power. I just got this today.(disclaimer: I do not work for or have any connection with Tigerdirect.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dee wrote:
I would suggest not messing around with a four or five year old machine. By the time you change out the motherboard, processor and memory, you're looking at spending about $350 to $400. You will probably need a new operating system too depending on the licensing of your old system.

You can pick up a brand new machine for less than that.

Depends entirely on what else is in the machine.

First, I'm running Linux, so OS upgrade issues aren't issues.
Second, I'm running in a pretty decent Antec case and top-of-the-line power supply. Very different from the crap you get with a $300 PC.
Third, I no longer use internal HDs. All of my drives are mounted in Vantec removable harddrive cartridges.

So no, I wouldn't be able to find a replacement system for less than $400.

And as for messing around with an old machine, my previous computer lasted me eleven years. I bought it with an 66MHz 80486 with 6Meg RAM, it ended up an 233 MHz AMD K6 with 256M RAM. In the process I swapped everything but the case and the 5-1/4" floppy. The only reason I'm not still running that case is that nobody made a CPU I wanted to upgrade to that would work on an AT form-factor MB. There are still plenty of ATx MBs around, so that's not a concern.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.