Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:16 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Jack Russell Terrier needs a new home. 
 Post subject: Jack Russell Terrier needs a new home.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:56 am 

Hey Guys,

Daisy, a 6 year old Jack Russel Terrier (Broken Coat) needs a new home.
My Mom is moving out of Farmington, and renting a house closer to her work. Unfortunatley, they do not allow Dogs...

My wife and I would love to take her. but we are still in an apartment being unsuccessful in our house hunt.

Daisy is a very playful and fun dog... She gets territorial and will let you know when an unknown car or person is approaching. She is great with kids and very loving. We will miss her much. Please PM me if you have a/know of a good home for her. Thanks.

If for some reason things do not work out, we will help in relocating her, or take her back if we have a house by then.

ETA: She is Spayed and current on this year's shots.

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

Last edited by RobD on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Jack Russell Terrier needs a new home.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:50 am 
Longtime Regular

Jack's are enormously fun, but very high-maintenance dogs, which is why they can sometimes be difficult to place.

The Jack Russell Terrier Club has a Bad Dog Talk that I'd recommend that anyone who is considering this, simply because she looks cute and happy in the pictures, should read. They are high energy, and they need exercise, but more, they need social interaction.

From Working Terrier Past and Present, by T.F. Dale, Blackwood's Edinburgh Mag. New York Oct. 1907

Quote:
Of all the dogs I have known the terrier has the best memory for friends Even casual friends are not forgotten if once accepted. As for the master, what can exceed the patience and fidelity of the terrier if once his heart is given; and if he is a little jealous and exclusive, after all that is not peculiar to dogs. The terrier is of all dogs the most dependent on human companionship for his efficiency. If your terrier is to do his best for you in the field he must share your home, or if he lives in the kennel you must be often with him; but my experience is that the best for work have been those that have lived with me day and night. A dog so studies your face that he learns to anticipate your wishes, almost to read your expression.

Jacks are, without a doubt, the most social dogs around. They need attention, and interaction, and intellectual stimulation, just as much as they need exercise. But if you can give that to them, there is no dog that will bring you more joy.

I've been living with a JRT for five years, now, and there certainly have been plenty of problems. You only have to look at the condition of my couch to see that. (The spot where he'd tunneled in deep enough that I had to pull him out by his tail is against the wall, so it doesn't show, but there are plenty of places that do.) But all-in-all, he's been a constant source of joy and amazement, and I'd not have missed it for the world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:02 pm 

Interesting list... Dogs are like people, with individual personalties and quarks, generalizations don't always fit.

I am by no means a Jack Russel expert, but I can tell you that Daisy is an attention hound, but has never torn anything up, ripped through garbage, or eaten shoes...

She has never killed anything, my mom has had cats around since she went home with her at 8 weeks, and there has been some rough housing, but never any injuries.

My Daughter had pulled on every part of Daisy, with not as much as a growl, just licks.

Daisy has always stayed in the unfenced yard just fine, but not sure how this would translate to a new location.

She is a joy, and they only things I would caution people about is her need for attention (sometimes annoying), and barking at visitors (usually for just a moment once it's established that they belong there.)

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to answer.

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Incakola wrote:
Interesting list... Dogs are like people, with individual personalties and quarks, generalizations don't always fit.

I am by no means a Jack Russel expert, but I can tell you that Daisy is an attention hound, but has never torn anything up, ripped through garbage, or eaten shoes...

She has never killed anything, my mom has had cats around since she went home with her at 8 weeks, and there has been some rough housing, but never any injuries.

In truth, JRT owners do sometimes tend to over-emphasize their problems. And a lot of it depends upon the dog's ancestry. The JRTC dogs are intentionally selected for intensity and obsessiveness. A lot of the non-JRT Jack Russells are more mellow. (Not really mellow compared to a Lhasa, you understand, but more mellow than the working dogs.)

And at six, Daisy would be past the worst of it, anyway. Bear will be six in October, and he's calmed considerably in the last year.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.