Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Look! A human speed bump! 
 Post subject: Look! A human speed bump!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job

By Jason Kessler
CNN

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A recent college graduate is suing her alma mater for $72,000 -- the full cost of her tuition and then some -- because she cannot find a job.

Trina Thompson, 27, of the Bronx, graduated from New York's Monroe College in April with a bachelor of business administration degree in information technology.

On July 24, she filed suit against the college in Bronx Supreme Court, alleging that Monroe's "Office of Career Advancement did not help me with a full-time job placement. I am also suing them because of the stress I have been going through."

The college responded that it offers job-search support to all its students.

In her complaint, Thompson says she seeks $70,000 in reimbursement for her tuition and $2,000 to compensate for the stress of her three-month job search.

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

Thompson said she has fulfilled her end of the job-search bargain, peppering companies listed on Monroe's e-recruiting site with cover letters, résumés and phone calls. But no more than two employers have responded to her outreach, and those leads have borne no fruit.

Her complaint adds, "The office of career advancement information technology counselor did not make sure their Monroe e-recruiting clients call their graduates that recently finished college for an interview to get a job placement. They have not tried hard enough to help me."

She suggested that Monroe's Office of Career Advancement shows preferential treatment to students with excellent grades. "They favor more toward students that got a 4.0. They help them more out with the job placement," she said.

Monroe College released a statement saying that "while it is clear that no college, especially in this economy, can guarantee employment, Monroe College remains committed to working with all its students, including Ms. Thompson, who graduated only three months ago, to prepare them for careers and to support them during their job search."

Thompson says she has not hired an attorney to represent her because she cannot afford one. When she filed her complaint, she also filed a "poor person order," which exempts her from filing fees associated with the lawsuit.

Asked whether she would advise other college graduates facing job woes to sue their alma maters, Thompson said yes.

"It doesn't make any sense: They went to school for four years, and then they come out working at McDonald's and Payless. That's not what they planned."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new.york.jobless.graduate/index.html

You! Out of the gene pool!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Look! A human speed bump!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:07 pm 

Quote:
As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

Quote:
She suggested that Monroe's Office of Career Advancement shows preferential treatment to students with excellent grades. "They favor more toward students that got a 4.0. They help them more out with the job placement," she said.

Obviously so do employers do too :D

My head is about to explode with all the analogies I could draw about what this says our society but I think I will keep the blood pressure down and just laugh at this dumb ass :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:51 am 
Longtime Regular

I can't tell you how much I can't wait for the college to win and then go after her for their legal fees.

What a waste of oxygen...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
"They help them more out . . .

From a college graduate no less. Let's strike up the band for another round of that "Entitlement" song.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:15 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Quote:
Thompson said she has fulfilled her end of the job-search bargain...

The question that pops up is, did the school promise her anything? The 'schools' that advertise here make it seem like you're nearly guaranteed a job. In the IT field, that's not exactly true.

Even saying something like 'we have a 99% job placement rate' is implying more than they could deliver.

The school may have made some guarantees that they could not keep in this job-recession.

My point is- Even though on it's face this lawsuit seems ridiculous, it could still have merit. The McDonald's coffee lawsuit seemed like the dumbest thing on the planet, but it actually had merit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
Quote:
Thompson said she has fulfilled her end of the job-search bargain...

The question that pops up is, did the school promise her anything? The 'schools' that advertise here make it seem like you're nearly guaranteed a job. In the IT field, that's not exactly true.

Even saying something like 'we have a 99% job placement rate' is implying more than they could deliver.

The school may have made some guarantees that they could not keep in this job-recession.

My point is- Even though on it's face this lawsuit seems ridiculous, it could still have merit. The McDonald's coffee lawsuit seemed like the dumbest thing on the planet, but it actually had merit.

Traditional coffee by design is meant to be brewed at a temperature just below boiling, if not boiling (I subscribe to the just below boiling camp).

No worse than Starbucks or Caribou. Don't put hot liquids between your legs.

The court may have found merit. I still think she's a moron.

College girl? Another mental mighty mouse, apparently. 2.7, and you wonder why people aren't beating down your door? Yipes.

What's really funny is that when I hire, I'm not interested in GPA. I am, however, interested in an applicant's cover letter, and I doubt she'd make it through the front door based on the interview above.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sigh...

This is just another example of the viral mentality that has worked its way into the fiber of our society... nobody expects to have to do anything themselves anymore...

It all stems from the "mommy and daddy will help me" mindset...

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:07 am 

Pakrat wrote:
...The 'schools' that advertise here make it seem like you're nearly guaranteed a job. In the IT field, that's not exactly true....

Brown College has found me 2.5 jobs. (.5 because the third I also had a referral from a friend already working there, but the hiring manager claimed to have gotten it from Brown. Friend got referral bonus anyway) I should send them another email, see if they've got anything yet since I last spoke with them.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.