Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 As long as you aren't doing anything wrong... 
 Post subject: As long as you aren't doing anything wrong...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

... this shouldn't bother you.

Quote:
Cops Use Old Brink's Truck to Shame Suspects; Video Cameras Add to the Drama

By CARRIE PORTER
August 17, 2009; Page A1

PEORIA, Ill. -- This industrial city, hard hit by the recession, has found a new, low-budget way to fight crime: Park an unmanned, former Brink's truck bristling with video cameras in front of the dwellings of troublemakers.

Police here call it the Armadillo. They say it has restored quiet to some formerly rowdy streets. Neighbors' calls for help have dropped sharply. About half of the truck's targets have fled the neighborhood.

"The truck is meant to be obnoxious and to cause shame," says Peoria Police Chief Steven Settingsgaard.

The Armadillo has helped alleviate problems like drug dealing that can make neighborhoods unlivable.

Police got a call at 2:30 one morning from Mary Smith, a 58-year-old computer operator at a Butternut Bread Bakery. Fighting back tears, she asked for relief from her neighbors' incessant yelling.

She and her husband, Terry, 61, a Butternut baker, have lived in their home on North Wisconsin Avenue for 30 years, and have seen the neighborhood fall into drug trafficking. The police suggested using the Armadillo.

That weekend, the truck pulled up to the offending neighbor's house. A police officer knocked on the door and told the residents a nuisance report had been filed. Within 24 hours, the Smiths say, the house was quiet. The occupants moved out soon thereafter.

"The difference was like night and day," Mrs. Smith says. The landlord, Phil Schertz, credits the Armadillo.

"The ugliness of the Armadillo is what makes it unique," says Jim Pasco, executive director of the National Fraternal Order of Police. "A police car is not a particular stigma, but if people see that thing in front of your house, they know something bad is going on in there."

Peoria police acknowledge that the truck sometimes just shifts crime from one area to another. But it can disrupt illegal activities temporarily. Citizens appear to like the idea, and police say they have a four-week waiting list of requests for the Armadillo.

Peoria is a city of 114,000 about 170 miles southwest of Chicago. Amid layoffs at equipment giant Caterpillar Inc. and other companies, the city's unemployment rate has jumped to 10%, from about 6% a year ago. Crime has increased as the economy has declined, police say.

The biggest problem, as Peoria police see it, is drug trafficking that plagues pockets of the city marked by boarded windows, littered lawns and noise complaints.

In the summer of 2006, police were brainstorming ways to rattle a suspected drug dealer. They had exhausted traditional strategies, including undercover operations, and were left empty-handed and frustrated. They decided to park a retired police car in front of the suspect's house.

About 24 hours after the car had been put in place, all its windows had been smashed, the tires were flat and the body was dented.

"It was embarrassing to tow a police car," Chief Settingsgaard says. "But I saw it as a success because it was proof how much [the dealer] really disliked the police car's presence."

The dealer left the neighborhood soon after the incident; he was later arrested and convicted on a gun charge.

One summer night, Chief Settingsgaard was pulling out of police headquarters when he did a double take. Rusting in a corner of the police parking lot was a hulking Brink's truck. It had been purchased -- for a dollar -- to use in emergencies but had yet to be pressed into service. The chief thought it could be the perfect nuisance-deterrence vehicle, seemingly indestructible and inarguably an eyesore.

Over the next year, the 12,000 pounds of heavy metal got an extensive makeover, including about $10,000 in new equipment and repairs. It was outfitted with five infrared surveillance cameras, a padlocked hood, a locked gas cap, and protective screens over the head and tail lights.

A Peoria tire company installed foam-filled tires that can't go flat. Decals that say "PEORIA POLICE Nuisance Property Surveillance Vehicle" were pasted on all four sides of the white truck.

There were some bumps along the road. When Officer Elizabeth Hermacinski, 39, the force's nuisance-abatement officer and Armadillo driver, took the behemoth out for its first deployment in July 2008, the targeted troublemakers seemed to have gotten wind of the plan. In any case, they had parked cars in every available spot in front of the house.

So Ms. Hermacinski parked across the street, close enough to get the message across. "It's psychological warfare," she says.

The Armadillo is the opposite of an undercover operation. Its goal isn't making arrests, but alerting suspects that police are on to them, police say. The surveillance footage is rarely reviewed by the police and is saved for just a short time before it is erased. Still, the unit can have a significant impact.

This past July, Maggie Wren, 50, requested that the Armadillo pay a visit to her home. Police say her adult children and grandchildren were loitering on her front porch and leaving empty beer bottles in her yard. "Every time I wake up, there's something broken on my fence," she says.

Police parked the truck outside her house while she went away on vacation. Police say the porch remained quiet and empty while she was gone.

One recent afternoon, Officer Hermacinski was moving the Armadillo to a new spot. "It drives like a tractor," she said, yelling in order to be heard over the engine's roar.

She pulled the Armadillo to the curb of a white, one-story house with red siding suspected of being a drug house. She flipped on the surveillance cameras, hopped down from the truck and knocked on the door of the house. No one answered. Then she walked over to a waiting police cruiser, got in and drove away, leaving the Armadillo to do its job.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: As long as you aren't doing anything wrong...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't know. This is just a more mobile version of public security cameras that are getting into more and more places.

If something is in public, it's photographable. Neither cops or criminals much like it, but it's the law.

I do have problems with how public images are sometimes used, (mostly when cops suppress images of other cops being bad), but given good transparency in that regard, it's could actually be a good thing.

Of course, the criminals might get it into their heads to just break into the truck themselves, and help themselves to all that electronic gear...

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:35 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

For the sake of discussion- If they had a camera on top of the vehicle and it sees over a fence or in a window that you wouldn't normally be able to see in from the street... Would that cross the line? I suppose that would be state specific.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 pm 

Read this article at work today -- generally being that it's recording what's going on in public, I really don't have a big issue with this... though I could see some potential for abuse...

B

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:45 am 
Longtime Regular

As soon as one IR camera or laser mic gets installed it is firmly over the line, until then . . . It makes me proud that was the city I was born in. For once PPD got it right! Peoria for a long time has been a laying low and R&R playground for Chicago thugs. When the heat gets to high in the Windy City, the sludge drifts down river. They've been needing some "outside the box" ideas for a while. The problems imported from Chicago are just non-stop as soon as the heat in Peoria gets hot they move up to Minneapolis or visa versa, then back to Chicago :bang: Course then there is the whole Chicago gangs vs. St. Louis gangs turf war stuff. Peoria has had it BAD in this area for about as long as crack has been common on the street.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

I read this article/thread last night and delivered a load of band room equipment to the Limestone Community High School in Bartonville IL this morning.

I mentioned this 'thing' to the school staff that was unloading the stuff from my trailer. They all seemed to be happy with the results its produced so far.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Pakrat wrote:
For the sake of discussion- If they had a camera on top of the vehicle and it sees over a fence or in a window that you wouldn't normally be able to see in from the street... Would that cross the line? I suppose that would be state specific.

There was a case where the Supreme Court ruled that inspection by helicopter didn't violate the fourth amendment.

There was a case where a court ruled that cops sitting in a tower of the police station (it used to be a church) and watching the surrounding streets was a violation of privacy.

So the usual rule applies: the side with the better lawyer wins.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've actually considered hooking up a quad camera day/night camera system to my Explorer in the past.

Why not, I thought, it's not as if I'm gonna blow some low profile...

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yet if a private citizen were to take pictures in a public place, they would be arrested for disorderly at the least.

If they used a telephoto lens, it would get them peeping tom charges.

It's still double standards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

yes, I do have a copy of them already. I also have been on more photography web forums than here. It comes up quite a bit how many photographers are harassed by both LEO AND security guards under the pretense of "law".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 pm 

chunkstyle wrote:
http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

The advice is there on handling confrontations is useful whether you are taking pictures or not.

Personally, I think the idea of a high profile nuisance property surveillance vehicle is a good one. Police presence is the best deterrent to nuisance activity, and there is evidence to support a link between nuisance activity and violent crime (for example, when NYPD cracked down on nuisance activity, violent crime dropped in NYC).

As long as they don't violate the 4th Amendment, I say it's a good tool.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:54 pm 

I Drive a retired unmarked squad car. Driving Thru North Minneapolis I.E.
Penn and Lowery. Black people, useally a group of males, will all turn thier backs to me if Stopped for a red light, even when the wife is driving. On my own street, I had a neighbor with a "BAD" son. She would not let him in. He Qualifies for the "Third Strike and your out" program. He was banging on her door, She wouldn't answer. I drove by and shined the spot light on him. He seemed to know the drill, he did not run , Just stood there. I drove on, he dissapeared. She Thanked me. This was long before the CCW and such. I might think today I'd be charged with "Impersonating an Officer" or many other possible charges. She was happy, I was happy, and I think he is in on the Third strike. She has sense passed. I still own the house next to hers (her daughter now lives there) and another down the block where I was living at the time. Another interesting thing about the retired squad is that even if Speeding, I get a "Wave" as if it was a "pass" when speeding. It's not easy to keep the P71 inside the "Limits", it's just too much fun. The Squad is the Funniest car I have owned sense driving a Benz and customers not wanting to pay the bill because the service tech was driving a Benz. I guess it's not who you are but what you drive.

De ka0old

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

s'pose with all those 2m and HF antenna on there, makes it all the more believable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

I see some of that, and my Crown Vic is 100% stock, never a cop.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.