Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:36 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Our Wonderful Senator 
 Post subject: Our Wonderful Senator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:05 am 

Dear Seth:

As someone who has previously contacted our office to share your thoughts on issues important to you, I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in a live statewide healthcare tele-town hall meeting this Sunday, August 23 rd , at 7:00 PM. Along with people like you from across the state, I will be joined by Dr. Denis Cortese, CEO of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, and Mary Wakefield, the highest ranking nurse in the federal government. The three of us will discuss the need for health care reform, including ways to make the American health care system more affordable and more stable, and I will answer as many questions as I can from citizens from around the state.

If you would like to participate in this important discussion, the only way to guarantee your involvement is to visit our website at http://klobuchar.senate.gov or click HERE and enter your contact information. Once you’re registered, you’ll get an automated reminder phone call on Friday evening and you’ll be called again on Sunday to be joined to the call. The phone number you provide will be kept private.

If you have any questions, you can call the office toll free at 1-888-224-9043.

I look forward to hearing from you on Sunday.

Sincerely,

Amy Klobuchar
United States Senator

Congratulations senator. You've found a way to "listen" to your constituents while at the same time stifling any dissent.

Post subject: Re: Our Wonderful Senator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Isn't consulting a salaried nurse about health care reform a bit like asking a butcher about open-heart surgery?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:56 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Isn't consulting a salaried nurse about health care reform a bit like asking a butcher about open-heart surgery?

It's an awful lot like asking Amy Klobuchar about being a competent United States Senator. :evil:

It burns me every time to see that title near her name. :bang:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:23 pm 

I got one of those emails too. I guess this is her way of avoiding responding to specific items about which I e-mailed her. I have to leave for work at 9:00 pm that night. Wonder what anybody's chances of getting to ask a question are. Since this is a carry forum, when I asked her about the Thune bill, this was her response:

"While we may disagree on this amendment, I understand your concerns. I hope you understand that my decision was based solely on the principle of states’ rights. I respect your views and will keep them in mind as the Senate considers gun ownership issues in the future."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:07 am 

If Michigan is the butthole of the U.S., Minnesota is the taint. I hate this state.

Cluelesshar and Funkin. Way to go Minnesota.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

djeepp wrote:
If Michigan is the butthole of the U.S., Minnesota is the taint. I hate this state.

It isn't so much that I hate this state. It's a nice place really. 8)

It's just the idiots running the place that piss me off. :bang:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:59 am 

Hunter07 wrote:
djeepp wrote:

It isn't so much that I hate this state. It's a nice place really. 8)

It's just the idiots running the place that piss me off. :bang:

Maybe I should be more specific. I hate the people of this state that continue to elect these morons.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 pm 
Wise Elder

All "questions" will be screened. Any that raise difficult issues will not be asked, you betchum!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
All "questions" will be screened. Any that raise difficult issues will not be asked, you betchum!

It was worse than that. Instead of getting a call connecting me to the conference, I got a call saying "The call was 20 minutes ago. Sorry I missed you, would you like to listen to the recording."

She's worthless. That's not even superficial lip-service to representation.
Lying ***** wrote:
If you would like to participate in this important discussion, the only way to guarantee your involvement is to visit our website at http://klobuchar.senate.gov or click HERE and enter your contact information. Once you’re registered, you’ll get an automated reminder phone call on Friday evening and you’ll be called again on Sunday to be joined to the call. The phone number you provide will be kept private.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

princewally wrote:
kimberman wrote:

It was worse than that. Instead of getting a call connecting me to the conference, I got a call saying "The call was 20 minutes ago. Sorry I missed you, would you like to listen to the recording."

She's worthless. That's not even superficial lip-service to representation.
Lying ***** wrote:

Gee, think the Strib might be interested...nah, it's in part courtesy of the media that we end up with a bunch of fucking morons in office. What was I thinking.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Franken was out here in Chippewa County for a session, and nothing was screened. We actually had a good time. He responded to all the questions, and was easily able to get the angry people laughing.

The first thing he talked about was the story of his pheasant hunt last fall with some of us. Of course that prevented me from asking a couple of 2A questions he would want to dodge....I kind of know the answers anyway.

He was knowlegable on health care and did pretty well with that. Of course, the questioners ask the same things in every town because they all use the same web sites. It's actually easy if you know the formula. I'm surprised Amy won't come.

The right wingers don't agree with Franken, but he explained everything in detail and showed respect to a couple of folks who don't play well with others.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
The right wingers don't agree with Franken, but he explained everything in detail and showed respect to a couple of folks who don't play well with others.

That puts him a few steps above Klobuchar.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:38 am 
Longtime Regular

princewally wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

That puts him a few steps above Klobuchar.

He's still new. Give him time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Sounds like Amy has it down cold:

Quote:
10,000 Minnesotans called Klobuchar with health care questions, and many are still waiting for clear answers

Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar is for: better health care, lower costs, nobody getting whacked from their health insurance because of pre-existing conditions, a "uniquely American approach'' to resolving the health care crisis.

There you have it.

The state's senior senator spent an hour on a telephone conference call with 10,000 Minnesotans Sunday evening. Most of them still must be scratching their heads. In the midst of this health care crisis, what sort of reform does the senator stand for?

One caller tried hard to pin her down.

"Do you support a public (health insurance) option?" he asked.

That seemed to call for a "yes" or "no" answer.

The caller got neither.

Instead, here's what he got: "I will tell you this,'' the senator said. "I'm open to a competitive option. You need to put pressure on the insurance companies. One way to do that [is allow the public to join] the federal health care plan or one just like it. The government does administer it, but it's a private plan. That's one way. And then there's this co-op plan proposal [in the Senate]. That really hasn't been formed yet. Those are some of the ideas. I want to make sure whatever option we choose works for our state. Make sure it makes it easier for small businesses and the self-employed."

Presumably by now, most of us have a pretty good idea where we stand. Single payer, public option, status quo, tort reform, a gymnasium on every corner. Something.

But not our senator.

"This is complex," Klobuchar said a few times.

She also said that "it's very personal," which is why it's such an emotional issue.

She also said that the ideas she heard Sunday night "she'll take back to Washington" and try to apply to whatever health bill emerges.

Fortunately, the senator and her two guests — Dr. Denis Cortese, the CEO of the Mayo Clinic, and Mary Wakefield, a nurse who is the Obama administration's rural health care advocate — had time to answer only a dozen or so questions. Had all 10,000 people listening in had a chance to speak up, Klobuchar would have needed a freight train to haul all the ideas back to Washington.

Her own ideas?

Well, that's very hard to say.

She talked about fish hook injuries in Park Rapids. She talked about stomach ruptures in La Crescent. She talked about how "one of every six dollars'' in the country is spent on health care. (She implied that's too much.) She talked about how health care costs are rising three times faster than wages. (She implied that that's a problem.)

None of this is particularly surprising to most Americans.

But Klobuchar isn't about to say what she thinks ought to be done.

"I know this can be a contentious issue," she said. "There's not yet a final bill in the Senate. I'm getting ideas from the people."

Lest you think the senator is waffling, she did say she wants "a sensible workable solution."

"In the end, whatever we do has to be meaningful," she said. "It has to control costs and improve quality otherwise we shouldn't do it."

So there you go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
He was knowlegable on health care and did pretty well with that. Of course, the questioners ask the same things in every town because they all use the same web sites. It's actually easy if you know the formula. I'm surprised Amy won't come.

Is that to imply that some of the questioners don't have legitimate concerns about ObamaCare?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.