Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:33 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Pussification of America 
 Post subject: Re: The Pussification of America
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:23 am 

gunflint wrote:
Two items in the news this weekend have proven beyond doubt that America is now a nation of women and I'm sick of it. Four sharks, yes 4-10 foot sharks have closed the beaches of Cap Cod and 1-140 pound Mountain Lion has closed a park. For Christ's sake. There was a day when problems like these were handled quickly and life went on. Except for the sharks.

Gunflint, please explain exactly what women have to do with any of this and what you mean when you say "pussification." I'm confused.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:45 am 

My interpretation: Traditionally masculine ideals in the family and society such as independence, toughness, and self reliance are being devalued in favor of more sensitive "modern" male roles, which seem almost interchangeable with traditional female roles. Many of us who see virtue in the traditional masculine roles (whether embraced by men or women) are feeling "marginalized" to use modern psychobabble-speak.

Feminization would probably have been a better choice of wording to convey the same message.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:41 am 
Longtime Regular

Just to stir things up... :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8_YL3q1--U

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Women have very little to due with this. Other than comparing those in charge to nurturers and not warriors. Here's a bit of a read from a Kim Dutoit. It's from several years ago but states the issue better than I can. WARNING; There is some stiff language.

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/essays/41/

Last edited by gunflint on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:52 pm 

Hey Gunflint

a ROARING STANDING OVATION!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:01 pm 

I see.

Gunflint, I find the material you just reposted to be tasteless and offensive. It detracts considerably from the good reputation your other posts here have given you.

I am married to a woman who carries.
I have friends who are women in the military and in law enforcement.
I have friends who suffered from ADHD in their childhood who believe they were helped to concentrate and achieve greater scholastic success through the use of Ritalin.
I have friends who are gay, bisexual, lesbian, and transgendered, and I can say with the confident voice of personal experience that they are on the whole a self-reliant, capable group of people.

To conflate the growing social refusal to deal with simple matters such the aquatic animal nusiances you describe in the OP with women and an abstract, Victorian femininity is inaccurate and offensive to the many women who know how to get things done. To conflate those whose gender identity is outside the mainstream with a long-term trend towards a larger role for government and an increasingly complex foreign policy milieu and the rise of supranational organizations would be laughable were it not so offensive.

Further, it is a real disservice to the pro-2a community in general and the Minnesota carry movement in particular to associate, on a public board, such an artless, uninformed, and bigoted world-view with the goals of conservatism and gun rights. Such material not only serves as fodder for people seeking to dismiss the gun rights community on ad hominem grounds, it also serves to stifle diversity within the community and to silence those voices here who, though supportive of gun rights, belong to those who are GLBT, or female, or recent immigrants.

I would like to encourage you to delete your post before Google picks it up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Easy people, there's no need to get personal. Attack the post and not the poster.
No one can make you feel a certain way, only you can make yourself feel offended, upset, betrayed, ...whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

As a white, middle aged, heterosexual, conservative, smoker, I am attacked almost daily from those with opposing views. Yet there is no outrage. In the last few weeks I have been called a racist, a hick, a Nazi, a gun nut, an asshole, an astro turfer and many other offensive labels. And this from our political leaders. How is it that no hate crime can be committed against me? I am a member of an elite group. The last surviving group of world citizens that can be attacked with impunity and yet must be politically correct in every way. I have reached the saturation point and am getting to an age where my concern for offending anyone with any thing I say is minimal.

I hold no such views that one gender is superior or inferior to the other any more than I believe that any race is superior to another. However I do believe that men and women are hardwired differently. Does this mean we box in either gender to specific tasks? No. Are men smarter than women? No. Are men by nature more violent than women? Yes. And so on.

As far as removing the post before Google picks it up, too late. Kim Du toit (sp) has been on the internet for years and had a web site and forum way before TCC came to be. I wouldn't be surprised if our founders weren't at least familiar with his blog and some of his articles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

First, the moderator stuff:

MODERATOR MESSAGE:
  • Gunflint, please edit your post to excerpt and link Kim's post, not quote it in full. Fair use, you know.
  • Everyone: this forum's tolerance for misogyny is very low; don't push it.
  • This forum's tolerance for incivility in the form of personal attacks is very low. It has already been pushed in this thread. Cool it -- everyone.

- Andrew Rothman, Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Somebody has to stick up for the insecure men of the world, I suppose.

A confident man can celebrate all these 'manly" traits, and express himself without gratuitous denigration and generalization of women, I think.

It appears Kim Dutoit has discontinued his writings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

A complete discussion of gender roles and stereotypes is a Ph.D dissertation, not a forum post. Nevertheless, into the fray I descend…

Men (and boys) and women (and girls) are hard-wired different. No one can have both a son and a daughter and think otherwise (my son can turn any toy or stick into a gun; my daughter made the big truck the mommy and the little trucks the babies). But while nurturing is probably an innate feminine trait, learned helplessness is a socially acquired one that I hope has been left in our society's past.

The use of "pussification" was appropriate, if irreverent. But using "women" as a synonym for "helpless" was not. It was misogynistic.

Men need to be men: that's natural. Women need to be women: that's natural, too. Is it any less natural to imagine that women are a necessary civilizing influence on men? That, too, is natural.

I've lived as a feral male in my single days. I was that typical male slob. My wife might say that I still am, but I'm actually much improved. It's called growing up.

Of course, there needs to be balance: men still need to be men, even if a bit more civilized, and women still need to be women – but women who match men in every way in independence, toughness and honor.

When my daughter, Sarah, was two or three, we had a diabetic cat. Giving the cat her insulin shot was hard, and got harder when the vet told me to change injection site from the scruff of the neck to the skin near the base of the spine.

(Go ahead and call me a pussy – I had had that cat longer than my wife, loved her dearly, and cried when she died. You wanna make something of it? Huh?)

My wife couldn't hold the cat still enough to me give it the damn shot.

One day my daughter went around to the cat's head and started petting her and talking to her. The cat stood still and didn't even flinch at the injection. That little three-year-old could do with kindness what two grown-ups couldn't with sheer force.

I said, "Nice job, Nurse Sarah."

"No, Daddy," she said, "Doctor Sarah."

She was right, and I would have never called her brother "Nurse Ben." I am the world's biggest gender equitist (a term I like better than "feminist"), but I blew that one.

So I decided that even though the kids might have gender-related tendencies, I was going to make sure I didn't impose any socialized limitations.

Both my kids will have the opportunity to shoot, hike, camp, fish, scrape knees, break limbs, and otherwise take big bites of life. Both will also be required to take care of their things, their pets, and each other.

Real men might be rough and ready, but grown men are compassionate, too. Real women are nurturing, but grown women are strong and self-sufficient, too.

Being a complete adult is not genitalia-dependent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
First, the moderator stuff:

MODERATOR MESSAGE:
  • Gunflint, please edit your post to excerpt and link Kim's post, not quote it in full. Fair use, you know.
  • Everyone: this forum's tolerance for misogyny is very low; don't push it.
  • This forum's tolerance for incivility in the form of personal attacks is very low. It has already been pushed in this thread. Cool it -- everyone.

- Andrew Rothman, Forum Moderator

We're doing OK so far, I think. And we're learning. I, for example, didn't see this as a "political correctness" issue at all. But many did.

Gunflint showed the Kim Dutoit stuff. It comes right up on Google.

I respectfully request a little leeway for everyone. But the moderators run the show, and it usually goes pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Done. My next dissertation will be on racism, the race card, Obama, and the left. However I think that I'll duck under the radar for a few days. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

[rant]
Seriously, all the metro sexual crying over being called a pussified wuss ought to stop. It's not a left or right thing, it's a sad sad state of affairs that men in America have no clue how to use a table saw, which side of the claymore faces out, how to skin a cat, cook bacon using the sun and a jar of water, change the oil in their car, sew a button back on their shirt, tie their shoes (see "crocks"), sharpen a knife, tie a square knot, tie a bow line hitch or two half hitches, how to properly fell a tree, which sex of cows milk comes from, change the toilet wax ring, fix a leaky faucet, change out an electrical interface (i.e. outlet, light switch, light fixture ect..), birth cattle and finally that you don't eat skoal but instead tuck it in your lip and suck on it.

Fucking aye, at the rate we're going, Tampons will have a national holiday under the current batch of pussified wuss.
[/rant]

Fixed for Mostly

Last edited by mnglocker on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
which side of the claymore faces out
It's cleverly labeled. The important part is identifying the enemy and siting your camp
Quote:
how to skin a cat
- Is this any different than squirrel, Rabbit, or Deer, really? The important part would be the cuts of meat and preparation. For example: do NOT handle Rabbits with cuts on your hands. cleanliness is important. Also, Squirrels in populated areas may be more likely to have rabies or other issues. How much cooking will remove that?
Quote:
cook bacon using the sun and a jar of water
That I do not know ... Google will be my friend. I sense an experiment coming up after the wet weather passes.
Quote:
sew a button back on their shirt
It ain't pretty, it ain't effieient on string or time, but it's ON there.
Quote:
tie a square knot, tie a bow line hitch or two half hitches
I could use some knot work. http://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm
Quote:
how to properly fell a tree
site, plan, avenues of escape, notch, finish opposite, PAY ATTENTION!
Quote:
which sex of cows milk comes from
The ones with Multiple similar protrusions from the lower rear area. look for more than three protrusions, all of one similar organ... DON'T milk the Bull!
Quote:
change the toilet wax ring
Plan, turn off water, clear area, lay out parts, empty TANK, disconnect tank, disconnect toilet, break seal, clean mating surfaces, place new ring, pre-seat toilet, SEAT toilet, tighten screws,
Quote:
birth cattle
ummm... I'm not familiar with that one.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.