Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Discussions about Comcast and Cable split from Signage 
 Post subject: Re: Comcast
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:24 am 
Longtime Regular

That's been my experience as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:48 am 

Jeff Bergquist wrote:
Traveler wrote:
Comcast, Charter, and all the rest of the cable companies should have more competition, and allow access to the cable network infrastructure. Satellite TV is not direct competiton and never will be until they can modify the weather to make sure that each dish always has a clear view to the satellite.

IMO this view is mostly successful propaganda by the cable companies. I've been a dish customer for over ten years now, and was a Mpls. cable customer before that. I lose reception while viewing 2 or 3 times per year, for on average 10 minutes at a time as a particularly strong front passes through. My recollection of my cable service was that they'd drop service at least that often, and sometimes for several hours at a time.

We had gone days without internet and cable with Charter. With DirecTv, we had about 6 outages in 4 years... 3 of those we lost power shortly after the signal was lost.

If you are wondering where Cable get's their datastream from...
Charter in Apple Valley.... These things in the circles are satellite dishes...

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:26 am 

Jeff Bergquist wrote:
IMO this view is mostly successful propaganda by the cable companies. I've been a dish customer for over ten years now, and was a Mpls. cable customer before that. I lose reception while viewing 2 or 3 times per year, for on average 10 minutes at a time as a particularly strong front passes
through. My recollection of my cable service was that they'd drop service at least that often, and sometimes for several hours at a time.

Satellite is quite reliable, and as IncaKola pointed out, it's used by most cable companies to get their feeds. The problem is that satellite communication is mainly one way communication. So companies like Dish Network/DirectTV can't provide bundled or interactive services like Internet, or video on demand.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject: Re: Discussions about Comcast and Cable split from Signage
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:31 am 
Longtime Regular

ummm... you might want to check that assumption ...

There IS satellite based internet but it's slow, lagged, and expensive.
Dish on Demand uses your phone line to "phone in" the orders and then the player streams it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:04 am 

plblark wrote:
ummm... you might want to check that assumption ...

There IS satellite based internet but it's slow, lagged, and expensive.
Dish on Demand uses your phone line to "phone in" the orders and then the player streams it.

Some of the newer DVR receivers have Ethernet that can use whatever broadband connection you have in the house to download video on demand. I wasn't trying to say that satellite providers can't provide Internet, or these services, just that they're restricted by the physical & technical limitations of satellite technology. It's primarily a one way communication media.

They're not exactly on a level playing field with cable providers.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:34 pm 

I call Farter every week telling them their "atomic time" on the DVR boxes drifts a couple of seconds a day and is currently about a full minute slow. They tell me that my time source must be wrong (because they cannot be wrong.)

My atomic clocks are correct and all my recordings start a minute late. As the time drifts I change the series options to start a minute (or soon to be 2 minutes) early.

The DVR boxes (old MOXI and the new style) skip new shows and record repeats. Maybe I should not set them and just let them record what they want to, which is what they seem to be doing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've actually got some service from Charter and some from Comcast. (different locations) Hard to tell which is worse. When i do need service they just send contractors, who complain they are not paid enoungh. Neither company has any customer service ethic. There is no market power to influence either company.

If they were regulated I'd be able to get what I have a right to pay for. I believe my own experience, not some fairy tale about how "private industry" does it better. :roll: I can't get any worse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:34 pm 

Rodentman wrote:
I call Farter every week telling them their "atomic time" on the DVR boxes drifts a couple of seconds a day and is currently about a full minute slow. They tell me that my time source must be wrong (because they cannot be wrong.)..

I'm not trying to suggest Charter is correct, but the DVR could have a fast/slow timing crystal or only synchronize it's time on startup. Then again if you power up the DVR and it's off by X time, you know it's them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
Rodentman wrote:
I call Farter every week telling them their "atomic time" on the DVR boxes drifts a couple of seconds a day and is currently about a full minute slow. They tell me that my time source must be wrong (because they cannot be wrong.)..

I'm not trying to suggest Charter is correct, but the DVR could have a fast/slow timing crystal or only synchronize it's time on startup. Then again if you power up the DVR and it's off by X time, you know it's them.

I've been noticing the same thing, actually. It's running about 30 seconds off.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Dick Unger wrote:
Before about 1983 the Post Office, the telephone companies and the electric distributors and airlines gave the best service of any industry, at reasonable prices. I'm so old I remember that. It's all been downhill since that time. These are all natural monopoly businesses. They got "deregulated" by politicing, and we've been poorer since then.

In 1973-74, I paid $500 for a round-trip ticket to Hawaii (from the East Coast). In 2002, I paid $500 for a round-trip ticket to Hawaii. There was a bit of inflation in those 29 years.

AT&T gave great service, at high prices. I now pay $0.03/minute for long distance; it was somewhat higher in the 1970s.

The Post Office was really good in the 1920s (novels of the time had someone mailing an invitation to afternoon tea for the same day, and getting a response by mail before the guest arrived).

Electric distributors are about as good now as then; a few major outages per decade, a bunch of weather-related ones in outlying areas.

I'd love to see an "information utility" on the model of electric distribution: a company that provides wires (optical fiber) everywhere, and isn't permitted to sell information over it, but only to allow anyone else to.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.