Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 What does the DHS know about you? 
 Post subject: What does the DHS know about you?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:27 pm 

I came across an article at Philosecurity.org that demonstrates the success that federal agencies have had in accumulating dossiers on, well, everyone. Due to statutory exemptions, regulatory arm-twisting, and the growing impossibility of getting anything done without ID, a cell phone, and a credit card, the government can and does accumulate amazingly detailed information made up of phone records (including location data), ATM and credit card transactions, electronic tolling, electronic fare records for public transit, automated license plate reader feeds, medical records, and email and web activity.

Loopholes in the statutes (laws prohibiting collection of GPS data from cell phones simply drive innovation in license plate readers and fare collection systems, for example) allow this data to be collected without any judicial oversight or any process for individuals to challenge its accuracy or limit its collection and use.

Post subject: Re: What does the DHS know about you?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:13 pm 

This information is mostly from the travel agent's database system / airline database system / and CBP records from his international travel.

Nothing here that I found overly alarming -- most of this is information that was provided by this guy to his travel company - and it's in his travel profile information that routinely gets shared w/ CBP --

Now if I was looking at this and saw his phone records or something, I'd be a lot more concerned than I am looking at this.

b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

As a truck driver with a Class A CDL w/ HazMat Endorsement (w/ TWIC card coming soon), firearms owner, former military that had a 'Top Secret' security clearance, an Independent w/ Republican leanings, a P2C holder and tangling with (and losing) a dispute with the MN Dept. of Revenue :bang: , they know A LOT about me.

Behaving myself and by not doing anything really stupid (staying just out of 'radar range'), keeps my name off any of their 'hey, let's get to know this guy better' lists. :wink:

Anyways, this list that you found is nothing out of the ordinary.

If you really wanna see how far they can and will dig into your past (recent and distant), do a search on what they dug up on the guy that laid his truck over on I-94 in WI a couple years ago (the one where the busload of kids hit it). The investigators were able to reconstruct everything that truck driver did a long time before the accident, along with his personal driving habits (constantly falsifying his logbook) from way back.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

and people wonder why I have no issues with a 4473.....

+1.0X10E100

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:11 pm 
Wise Elder

I was on the NRA Board of Directors for 9 years. I'm certain that I'm on the "seize the first night" list. Uniforms change, attitudes toward liberty do not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
and people wonder why I have no issues with a 4473.....

+1.0X10E100

After having a high level security clearance in the canoe club I imagine they know more about me than I do.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

let's see, Security clearance, retired National Guard, Class A CDL with HazMat,

Regular ol' everyday credit report, police records, court records, um....

Yeah, what am I supposed to be concerned with..........

and do they MAKE that much tinfoil.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.