Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:20 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wellford, SC "No chase" policy 
 Post subject: Wellford, SC "No chase" policy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:01 pm 

http://www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local/article/mayors_memo_may_handcuff_police_officers/26918

Quote:
Chris Cato
Published: September 18, 2009

Updated September 18, 2009

(Wellford, SC)—The Mayor of Wellford is defending her policy which bans police officers in that city from chasing suspects. Sallie Peake says the policy also includes vehicle chases along with pursuits on foot.

A memo issued on September 2nd from Peake to all Wellford officers reads:

“As of this date, there are to be no more foot chases when a suspect runs. I do not want anyone chasing after any suspects whatsoever.“

The police response time possibly just got longer...

Post subject: Re: Wellford, SC "No chase" policy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow, what an idiot. That mayor has just about created the perfect city for criminals to opperate in. No chases? What is she thinking? Glad I don't live there.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:31 pm 

Quote:
But Sheriff Wright says when a suspect gets away, there is always the chance he could hurt someone before officers catch up with him.

Peake says that won’t happen in Wellford.

What, criminals are going to adhere to a code of conduct, only commit one crime between arrests?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:46 pm 

So a BG who is fleet afoot and can outrun the police has free reign? Well, no, I guess he doesn't have to even be faster than the police, just walk away and there will be no pursuit? Makes no sense in concept, practice, or even in English.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:06 pm 
The Man

There's costs and benefits to "no chase" policies, and to any others. I'm in favor of letting experienced, service-oriented LEOs make such decisions -- long discussion required as to why -- but we don't have nearly as many of those around as I'd like.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:05 pm 

joelr wrote:
There's costs and benefits to "no chase" policies, and to any others. I'm in favor of letting experienced, service-oriented LEOs make such decisions -- long discussion required as to why -- but we don't have nearly as many of those around as I'd like.

I would agree (I admit I don't know what all the benefits are to 'no-chase' policies are) but I'm of the mindset we should let the LEOs make that determination, not the city Mayor...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:06 pm 

My son is a LEO in the St. Louis area. He was driving by a golf course after midnight last week in an area where they had been having some burglaries. Saw some kids, coasted past and shut down. When he confronted them, they ran, he chased. He came to a short brick wall and stepped up to go over, his foot slipped, driving his shin into wall. He didn't break anything but wasn't able to walk well enough that the doctor would certify him for active duty. This is a situation where I could see (but not necessarily agree with) that those in charge could make a no chase decision based on the cost to the department in lost man hours, additional overtime, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:16 pm 
The Man

Q_Continuum wrote:
joelr wrote:

I would agree (I admit I don't know what all the benefits are to 'no-chase' policies are) but I'm of the mindset we should let the LEOs make that determination, not the city Mayor...

Depends on the LEOs, I think. I don't think that it's a great idea for a bunch of young, over-adrenalized MPD cops to make a decision to chase. But maybe that's because I help pay the bills when they screw up. Which is often.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:23 am 

To me, a no-chase rule is a cop-out. :wink: You're not addressing the problem. If LEOs are not making the correct decisions in a high-stress, adrenalized situation, then it's due to inadequate training. People fall back on their level of training under stress, correct? "Solving" that problem by prohibiting chasing criminals simply absolves you of having to train your officers. It's like a zero tolerance rule on school campuses. It takes any logical decision-making out of the process. You're telling your people that they aren't capable of making tough decisions, so decisions are no longer required.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:46 am 
The Man

Wiscosotan wrote:
To me, a no-chase rule is a cop-out. :wink: You're not addressing the problem. If LEOs are not making the correct decisions in a high-stress, adrenalized situation, then it's due to inadequate training.
Or inadequate selection for that decision.

Cops are not fungible. Different people tend to make different kinds of decisions, well, differently. A good 20-year veteran cop who has been around the block is going to tend to make different decisions, in some cases, than a good, aggressive young guy who is trying to make his bones.

Happens in a lot of areas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:58 am 
Longtime Regular

If you can't chase with a car, you can always chase with a bullet. Perhaps the towns new slogan is "We don't have time to chase you, so we'll just shoot you instead". :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:06 pm 
The Man

mnglocker wrote:
If you can't chase with a car, you can always chase with a bullet. Perhaps the towns new slogan is "We don't have time to chase you, so we'll just shoot you instead". :twisted:

I think it'd be great if folks who would be tempted to take off when stopped believe that, but I'm not sure that there's a way without having a lot of inappropriate shots being fired. You got one?

Some very thoughtful folks involved in law enforcement have given a lot of thought to chase policies; I don't think that they've come up with a good policy answer, because any policy has lots of tradeoffs, and the tradeoffs aren't pretty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:54 pm 

someone should suggest to her that maybe they don't need to patrol at all then, and can just hold "please turn yourselves in day" at the jail and see how that works out! what an idiot!

I do understand that there are many factors that play into whether a chase should be done or not, but on the whole I feel that society will be better off if the bad guys are actually caught and removed from society when they are causing problems (unfortunately, our current system doesn't often remove them for very long!) It's clearly an area where training needs to adequate, and also an area where more experienced officers should be able to help make decisions.

gun control means hitting where you aim!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:07 pm 

tullibee wrote:
someone should suggest to her that maybe they don't need to patrol at all then, and can just hold "please turn yourselves in day" at the jail and see how that works out! what an idiot!

I do understand that there are many factors that play into whether a chase should be done or not, but on the whole I feel that society will be better off if the bad guys are actually caught and removed from society when they are causing problems (unfortunately, our current system doesn't often remove them for very long!) It's clearly an area where training needs to adequate, and also an area where more experienced officers should be able to help make decisions.

That single item is, I believe, one of the biggest problems facing America today. If you don't give people adequate penalties for their crimes it won't deter them. You can't lock them up for 6 months of a 3 year sentence and let them sit around with TV, a gym, Internet access, etc. and call that punishment. Bad food, solitary cells, long sentences, and nothing beyond the basics they need to live... that's what jail should be. Sit there and think about what you did.

BB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Unfortunately, to her, it's all about the money. The City had to pay out some Work Comp claims and she's pissed.

Law Enforcement is not a money maker for government. There is no return on investment. She needs to suck it up and let the Chief make his own policy decisions. Of course, I am sure that the town is small enough that every decision is political....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.