Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:13 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Action in Hopkins 
 Post subject: Re: Action in Hopkins
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
So how does one go about getting started in scanning/ham & is it worth it now that officers are free to "text" the intreresting stuff from their unit/laptop?

I would just listen to that link I posted above on your PC for a few weeks and decide if you really are going to commit to it as a hobby or not.

IIRC the initial downstroke on a scanner that will actually work is going to set you back $500.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:34 am 

I think your observation & recommendation is a good one Dean.

Although, you can find some used ones a bit cheaper than $500. But the scanning of today is not like your Grandpa's old 8 channel Bearcat with the scrolling red LEDs.

With the ARMER system, you can listen to many more "channels" than you used to be able to and from a much farther distance in many cases.

Becoming a HAM is a great idea for legal scanning listening in your vehicle, but I've heard that there aren't as many HAMs chatting on radios anymore (probably due to the interwebs)

MM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

a911scanner wrote:
299C.37 POLICE COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT; USE, SALE.
. . .
capable of receiving any radio signal, message, or information from any police emergency frequency,

But the equipment (iPhone or the like) discussed isn't capable of receiving information from any police emergency frequency. It's receiving a re-broadcast of that information on a legal frequency.

If you were listening to the news on your car radio, and they carried the sound from a police emergency frequency as part of their broadcast (say, of a developing story or it just happened to be in the background when the reporter was talking to a police officer), that wouldn't make your ordinary factory-installed car radio illegal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

a911scanner wrote:
Although, you can find some used ones a bit cheaper than $500. But the scanning of today is not like your Grandpa's old 8 channel Bearcat with the scrolling red LEDs.

I think I actually may have one of those in storage somewhere.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:28 pm 

SethB wrote:
a911scanner wrote:
. . .
capable of receiving any radio signal, message, or information from any police emergency frequency,

But the equipment (iPhone or the like) discussed isn't capable of receiving information from any police emergency frequency. It's receiving a re-broadcast of that information on a legal frequency.

If you were listening to the news on your car radio, and they carried the sound from a police emergency frequency as part of their broadcast (say, of a developing story or it just happened to be in the background when the reporter was talking to a police officer), that wouldn't make your ordinary factory-installed car radio illegal.

Excellent point Seth!

I think now, instead of considering riding around with my scanner in my car, I will use my I-phone. Then we can have a definitive answer for everyone.

Stay tuned, test case results pending..... :lol:

MM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

a911scanner wrote:
SethB wrote:
a911scanner wrote:
. . .

Excellent point Seth!

I think now, instead of considering riding around with my scanner in my car, I will use my I-phone. Then we can have a definitive answer for everyone.

Stay tuned, test case results pending..... :lol:

MM

Paging Marc Berris... :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:40 am 
Raving Moderate

Q_Continuum wrote:
I'll raise my hand for the "I want my amateur radio license" group. Been thinking about it a long time, and I know a few years back they made it easier (You no longer have to know Morse Code for at least the entry level license, trying to get more people into the hobby)

Easier than that- Morse is no longer required for any license level, only technical and regulatory knowledge exams.

Macx wrote:
So how does one go about getting started in scanning/ham & is it worth it now that officers are free to "text" the intreresting stuff from their unit/laptop?

Start here: http://www.arrl.org/. Locally, I'm a member of the Anoka Co. Radio Club (http://www.anokaradio.org/), which occasionally does classes and offers license testing on a monthly basis. A good place to check out is Radio City in Moundsview (http://www.radioinc.com/)- the staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and can help you get started (as well as sell you all sorts of wonderful things to occupy your "spare time" and "spare money"). :wink:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:50 am 
Longtime Regular

I am guessing that the police scanner over the Iphone would fall under the premise behind EchoLink also.
http://www.echolink.org/

If you take your time and study the Gordon West books, you can easily pass your tickets as well. I have seen a few take and pass the Technician and General class in the same day.
http://www.w5yi.org/catalog.php?sort=4

Most however take and pass the Technician and then go back and get their General.

I am debating on if I want my extra class.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.