Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Action in Hopkins 
 Post subject: Action in Hopkins
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:36 pm 

The police presence is out pretty hardcore this evening in Hopkins. Guy with no shoes lying off Highway Seven. One liquor store surrounded by enough squads to look like Christmas on Mainstreet. Police SUV's parked at Stop Signs with no lights on. What's the scoop?

The whole city is going to hell overnight!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Action in Hopkins
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I start seeing things like that, I go here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=1336

Note, they also have an Iphone app now. (I have no idea what the legality of driving while listening would be.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:29 pm 

DeanC wrote:
When I start seeing things like that, I go here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=1336

Note, they also have an Iphone app now. (I have no idea what the legality of driving while listening would be.)

Well, let me see if I can be of help with that one Dean.

299C.37 POLICE COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT; USE, SALE.
Subdivision 1. Use regulated. (a) No person other than peace officers within the state,
the members of the State Patrol, and persons who hold an amateur radio license issued by the
Federal Communications Commission, shall equip any motor vehicle with any radio equipment
or combination of equipment, capable of receiving any radio signal, message, or information
from any police emergency frequency
, or install, use, or possess the equipment in a motor
vehicle without permission from the superintendent of the bureau upon a form prescribed by the
superintendent.
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/getpub.php?type=s&num=299C.37

There is more to the text of the law, like Ham operators being allowed, etc.

MM
edited to add emphasis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Good info 911. I knew it was illegal to have a scanner. I wasn't sure how the law was worded since an Iphone isn't a technically a scanner.

But I know there a number of guys on the forum who can walk anyone through the easy steps of getting the amateur license that would allow you to legally have a scanner or device that acts like a scanner in your car.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 am 
Raving Moderate

DeanC wrote:
Good info 911. I knew it was illegal to have a scanner. I wasn't sure how the law was worded since an Iphone isn't a technically a scanner.

But I know there a number of guys on the forum who can walk anyone through the easy steps of getting the amateur license that would allow you to legally have a scanner or device that acts like a scanner in your car.

Yup. I can name three amateur radio guys offhand: me, Andrew, and KA0LD. I'm sure there's more...

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:34 am 
Longtime Regular

An iPhone doesn't receive a signal "from any police emergency frequency". It receives it from cellular frequencies. It's no different that if I had my Wi-Fi laptop in my car, set to a scan website.

It's the manner of transmission that's illegal, not the content.

Besides, you can always turn your iPhone (or laptop) off, when you see the blue lights in your mirror. Then, it's just inert plastic.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:50 am 
Longtime Regular

Ah . . . not to barge in on your tangent, but what did happen in Hopkins yesterday?

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
DeanC wrote:

Yup. I can name three amateur radio guys offhand: me, Andrew, and KA0LD. I'm sure there's more...

KC0FZZ checking in...

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:39 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:

Besides, you can always turn your iPhone (or laptop) off, when you see the blue lights in your mirror. Then, it's just inert plastic.

May work for iPhones & laptops, but having a scanner turned off AND unplugged doesn't work. :bang:

With all the different '10 codes' used by the multitude of jurisdictions across the country, I could care less about LEO communications. I used to have a Bearcat BCT-7 in my semi when I used to go from the Twin Cities to Los Angeles every week. It was pre-programmed and I'd listen to various state/ county plow trucks and NOAA weather radio in the winter months.

Made me a safer driver (because I'd get off the road or take a different route if shitty weather was rolling in), but the New Hope cop and MSP CMV trooper didn't see it that way when they handed me a ticket for $195. :evil: :bang:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
Ah . . . not to barge in on your tangent, but what did happen in Hopkins yesterday?

:lol:

Heh, who are you to to challenge a legitimate threadjacking?!?? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:47 pm 

KC0ORD checking in...I really feel that the officer would take said iPhone as he heard his voice coming over it.

I belive the law states that you could hear what was being transmitted over a police frequency...but IANAL.

Nothing on the news...oops I mean Obama TV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:03 pm 

chunkstyle wrote:
An iPhone doesn't receive a signal "from any police emergency frequency". It receives it from cellular frequencies. It's no different that if I had my Wi-Fi laptop in my car, set to a scan website.

Hey Chunk,

I'll agree with your premise, but I disagree with your reading between the lines.

Notice the section of the statute that I bolded and underlined. Your I-phone, while not a radio receiver of those frequencies (the part I agree with you about) would be receiving the message or information from those frequencies if you were listening to a live scanner feed on the internet.

IANAL, but this would be my interpretation of what I'm reading.

As an aside, it's obvious to most by my screen name that I listen to scanners... But why am I not a HAM????!!!!

MM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:40 am 

I'll raise my hand for the "I want my amateur radio license" group. Been thinking about it a long time, and I know a few years back they made it easier (You no longer have to know Morse Code for at least the entry level license, trying to get more people into the hobby)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Steve_G wrote:
I really feel that the officer would take said iPhone as he heard his voice coming over it.

Using the app and stream I posted above it's unlikely the officer would hear himself. Two reasons:

1) When the officer approaches your car and begins asking you questions, he is not broadcasting over the air. Usually what they do is pull you over and then radio back to dispatch saying something to the effect of: I have stopped a <car description> with Minnesota plate number XXX-123 and am getting out of my car to go talk to them. The rest of it takes place off the air. When the stop is over, they radio back to dispatch and say they are back in the car and rolling again.

2) That stream is sort of like a party line for much of the metro police, fire and EMS systems. You can only hear one call at a time. It blocks all other traffic except the current call that it has picked up. As soon as that one clicks off, it jumps to another. It can actually be a little frustrating listening because what you are hearing hops all over the place around the cities. It's not always real continuous unless something big is going down.

Of course, you'd also have to be a complete doofus not to turn the app and/or your phone off before he even approaches your car. He'd need to have probable cause to search your iPhone and know what the app looks like in order to prosecute for the violation of the statute. Speeding is not probable cause to search your phone for scanner software. Unless maybe the officer works for the MGSF and in that case, he'll just keep the phone anyhow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Unless maybe the officer works for the MGSF and in that case, he'll just keep the phone anyhow.

I LOLed at that. May they remain a running joke for more years than their most senior member had in service. :lol:

So how does one go about getting started in scanning/ham & is it worth it now that officers are free to "text" the intreresting stuff from their unit/laptop?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.