Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 I just noticed something... 
 Post subject: I just noticed something...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:04 pm 

I just noticed something. Magnum Research is based out of Minneapolis. How in the world can a city that hosts such a fine gun brand be so anti-gun?

2nd Amendment Foundation - Member

Any suggestions to other firearms groups I could join?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

They are actually in Fridley, as I remember on university and 70-something. I went there in person many years ago to get a catalog. The receptionist behind the bulletproof glass didn’t quite know what to do, but I did get my catalog!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:12 am 
Forum Moderator

It's too bad they don't sell direct to the public in Minnesota, or even indirect through a local FFL at a discount.

It'd be purely a toy, but I'd really love a bright nickel Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum. I've shot one before and it was, well, a blast.

But the prices always seem to add up to two new guns of more utilitarian orientation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Even the Ammunition (around a $1.00 per round) is expensive. It is hard to justify spending the money for my wife and I to go shooting at a local range with our 9mms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Have you considered reloading? My cost per box of 50 is only a buck or two- couple pennies per round for powder and primer, I cast my own bullets. Plus, it's a fun hobby. Not sure how many reload for 9mm, that ammo is relatively inexpensive, but it's worth it for bigger calibers or more expensive, unique ones. In my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have been thinking about it, I even bought a reloading book to read about it. Its just that I don't have the room at the moment and I get a tad worried about doing it wrong.

I usually buy remington in the 250 round boxes, it works out to less than 12 cents a round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

You don't need a lot of room, and it's quite safe if you are a careful person- I think most people who chose to carry a gun for self defense are pretty careful types.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've been re-loading for awhile and I don't believe that it saves you any money. Simply because you shoot twice the ammo. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

I hear ya there!

But my cost per round is a fraction of what I'd have to pay for storebought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, when I get the computer room cleaned up I see if I can get the reloading equiptment costs past my wife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

I did the math, and I need to reload about 9 cases of 10mm (vs. buying Blazer aluminum) to pay back my investment in reloading equipment, so I think it does pay back pretty quickly for odd or expensive calibers (.44 Mag, etc).

But 45 Auto? That'd be 44 cases of Blazer I'd have to reload. Even if I shot a case a month, it'd take nearly 4 years to pay off, plus eat about 250 hours of my time.

The payoffs are about half as quick again for brass cased ammo.

I can't see a percentage in casting your own bullets, though, as there's a ton of places to buy cast lead bullets and you don't have to inhale lead to do it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.