Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:24 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Pick Another Place, Please. 
 Post subject: Re: Pick Another Place, Please.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have never stated that posters could not put forth opinions.

Additionally, I have never told anyone here to "get a life".

I did not say that government regulation was "bad". I have never stated that. I stated that it was intrusive, but that it must be accepted, to a degree. There has been no "shift" in position. It has always remained straightforward, and will remain so. Regulation inhibits freedom, but that must be accepted in some areas. I like to drive at 95 mph. Narrow city streets with short distances between intersections is not the place to do so, and government has forumulated regulations to prohibit it. My belief is that it is a fairly simple concept.

The "tangents" were not "tangents" at all. They are nothing more than illustrations of what aspects of religion governments, at many levels, may regulate. I would hope that would have been clear to even the most casual reader. It shows that "freedom" of religion is not open-ended, just as many of our other "freedoms" are not open-ended.

I do believe our president has injected himself into this matter, saying that the mosque could/should be built at the site in question if that is what is desired. I never said the president had control over New York zoning matters, nor did I make any connection whatsoever. As to why I believe the president might have made his remarks on the issue is my opinion. I believe his religious background most certainly may color his views.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Back on topic, I have a hard time with the whole "ground zero" mentality. It is a place. A section of ground. Something tragic, horrible, and terrible happened there. It is a section of ground. It is a place.

Should we build a monument there? I don't care much one way or the other. But where do we draw the line? 2 blocks? 6 blocks? 6 miles? And who decides what can be built where and by whom?

Do I think the center should be allowed to be built? Absolutely, without question. That is America. Is it the right thing to do? That is undecided. Yet, if we start to allow feelings to determine our values, principles and tenents that we stand up and fight for, we are done as a society.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Jeremiah wrote:
SethB wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
No, bad place for their own PR. Better to move it a few blocks away

A few blocks away from what?

The "ground zero" area was what I meant. Although I realize that to some folks, that would include most of Manhattan.

The proposed site is a couple of blocks away from the WTC location.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
If it can't be debated, don't stick it out there.

Nice graphic, BTW. I lost all respect for the Nobel committee after that load of BS.

The other Nobel Prizes are awarded by Swedish organizations that have some expertise in their fields: Physics, Chemistry, and Economics by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Medicine by the Nobel Assembly at the Karolinska Institutet, Literature by the Swedish Academy.

The Peace Prize is awarded by the committee appointed by the Norwegian legislature.

They've never deserved respect.

I've always considered the NPP to be an exhibition of the subtleties of Scandinavian humor. Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat we both given one. So was Teddy Roosevelt.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

But yeah, back on topic. Exactly as Moby said, how far away is far away enough? Who gets to decide?

Should we also disallow the building of Catholic churches near playgrounds?

Just because certain members of a religion do something bad, and certain others applaud that action and protect the actors, doesn't mean the whole religion is bad. And we live in a place where the interaction between faith and government must be very circumspect.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Masjid Manhattan is 4 blocks from the former WTC site. And Masjid al-Farah is 12 blocks away.

So I guess the answer is more than 2 and less than 4? :bang:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.