Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received. 
Author Message
 Post subject: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:52 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:46 pm
Posts: 845
Location: Saint Paul
Image

The problem with public housing is that the residents are not the owners.

The people that live in the house did not earn the house, but were loaned the property from the true owners, the taxpayers. Because of this, the residents do not have the "pride of ownership" that comes with the hard work necessary. In fact, the opposite happens and the residents resent their benefactors because the very house is a constant reminder that they themselves did not earn the right to live in the house. They do not appreciate the value of the property and see no need to maintain or respect it in any way.

The result is the same whether you are talking about a studio apartment or a magnificent mansion full of priceless antiques. If the people who live there do not feel they earned the privilege, they will make this known through their actions. The picture below illustrates the point…

The Resolute Desk was built from the timbers of the HMS Resolute and was a gift from Queen Victoria to President Rutherford B. Hayes.
It is considered a national treasure and icon of the presidency.

Mr. Obama, with all due respect, get your goddamn feet off our desk!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:56 am 
Raving Moderate
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Minneapolis
Traveler wrote:

The problem with public housing is that the residents are not the owners.

The people that live in the house did not earn the house, but were loaned the property from the true owners, the taxpayers. Because of this, the residents do not have the "pride of ownership" that comes with the hard work necessary. In fact, the opposite happens and the residents resent their benefactors because the very house is a constant reminder that they themselves did not earn the right to live in the house. They do not appreciate the value of the property and see no need to maintain or respect it in any way.

The result is the same whether you are talking about a studio apartment or a magnificent mansion full of priceless antiques. If the people who live there do not feel they earned the privilege, they will make this known through their actions. The picture below illustrates the point…

The Resolute Desk was built from the timbers of the HMS Resolute and was a gift from Queen Victoria to President Rutherford B. Hayes.
It is considered a national treasure and icon of the presidency.

Mr. Obama, with all due respect, get your goddamn feet off our desk!


Image

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about his predecessor...

[Edited to remove inflammatory comments. -Jeremiah]

_________________
I'm liberal, pro-choice, and I carry a gun. Any questions?

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:40 pm 
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:13 pm
Posts: 874
Location: Minneapolis
Good one!

I'm no fan of the chosen one, but there are plenty of valid issues to fault him on; this isn't one of those.

I think you get awarded the ears and the tail!

_________________
Diesel Boats (and Tube Radios) Forever!


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:43 pm 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:23 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: SE MPLS
Greg wrote:
I'm no fan of the chosen one, but there are plenty of valid issues to fault him on; this isn't one of those.

Yep. Ike used to sit at that desk wearing spiked golf shoes.

_________________
Jeff Dege


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:42 pm 
Raving Moderate
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Minneapolis
Greg wrote:
Good one!

I'm no fan of the chosen one, but there are plenty of valid issues to fault him on; this isn't one of those.

I think you get awarded the ears and the tail!


Yea! :wink:

I'm ambivalent at best on the current POTUS, but I get truly tired of the BS from some members of the radical right. If folks have got issues with the job the man's doing, then discuss them. Preferably with citations and evidence. But the "he's a Muslim", "he's a Communist", "he's not really a U. S. citizen", "the world will end", etc. BS is just so much rubbish that dilutes any real issues they might raise.

_________________
I'm liberal, pro-choice, and I carry a gun. Any questions?

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:54 am
Posts: 2444
Location: West Central MN
Plus 1 to that.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:26 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 5270
Location: Minneapolis
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Image

_________________
I am defending myself... in favor of that!


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:42 am 
Raving Moderate
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Minneapolis
Here's another to add:

Image

_________________
I'm liberal, pro-choice, and I carry a gun. Any questions?

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:49 am 
The Man
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:43 am
Posts: 7970
Location: Minneapolis MN
I took the original email as mainly a joke about public housing, rather than a real demand that he not put his feet on the desk.

I'm okay with the President showing informality in the Oval Office, on appropriate occasions. That said, Ronald Reagan legendarily refused to ever enter the Oval Office when he wasn't wearing a suit and tie, as he felt that the dignity of the office demanded it. Not that he asked me, but that was okay with me, too.

_________________
Just a guy.


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:49 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 5270
Location: Minneapolis
Jeremiah wrote:
Here's another to add:

Thank you!

_________________
I am defending myself... in favor of that!


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:08 pm 
The Man
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:43 am
Posts: 7970
Location: Minneapolis MN
Jeremiah wrote:
But the "he's a Muslim"... is just so much rubbish that dilutes any real issues...

There, I don't know. According to shariah (as I understand it) he is a Muslim; he was born to a Muslim father. That may affect some issues in dealing with the Muslim world, and particularly Islamic states (just as, for different reasons, the fact that his Chief of Staff is a Jew), and not necessarily in a positive way all the time.

Me, I'm not a frum Muslim, I don't think of him as in any way a Muslim, but I do understand that others disagree, and are -- in a secular, American sense -- wrong.

_________________
Just a guy.


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:51 pm 
Raving Moderate
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Minneapolis
joelr wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
But the "he's a Muslim"... is just so much rubbish that dilutes any real issues...

There, I don't know. According to shariah (as I understand it) he is a Muslim; he was born to a Muslim father. That may affect some issues in dealing with the Muslim world, and particularly Islamic states (just as, for different reasons, the fact that his Chief of Staff is a Jew), and not necessarily in a positive way all the time.

Me, I'm not a frum Muslim, I don't think of him as in any way a Muslim, but I do understand that others disagree, and are -- in a secular, American sense -- wrong.


Fair enough. I should have said "practicing Muslim" or "observant Muslim". :wink: Although my guess is that his later adherence to Christianity would make him ridda, an apostate, in the eyes of most pious Muslims. He certainly hasn't shown any overt pro-Islam bias I can see.

_________________
I'm liberal, pro-choice, and I carry a gun. Any questions?

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:18 pm 
The Man
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:43 am
Posts: 7970
Location: Minneapolis MN
Jeremiah wrote:
He certainly hasn't shown any overt pro-Islam bias I can see.
There I disagree -- in terms of his personal statements and actions, although not in terms of his performance of his official duties. I'll discuss that some other time; if you and/or other folks want to chat about it here, though, that's fine.

_________________
Just a guy.


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:22 pm 
Raving Moderate
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:46 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Minneapolis
joelr wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
He certainly hasn't shown any overt pro-Islam bias I can see.
There I disagree -- in terms of his personal statements and actions, although not in terms of his performance of his official duties. I'll discuss that some other time; if you and/or other folks want to chat about it here, though, that's fine.


Now I'm curious... :)

_________________
I'm liberal, pro-choice, and I carry a gun. Any questions?

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Public Housing - borrowed from an email I received.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:15 am 
Longtime Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 5270
Location: Minneapolis
Rather than launch into my usual parade of pictures of Obama doing exactly the opposite of everything a devout Muslim would do such as wearing a yarmukle, praying at the Western Wall, lighting a menorah, and raising a glass and saying "L'Chaim" at a Passover dinner at the White House, I will just say he is a typical politician and will do just about anything his handlers want him to do in order to ingratiate him to the special interest group of the moment.

_________________
I am defending myself... in favor of that!


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours


 Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


 
Index  |  FAQ  |  Search

phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group