Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:56 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 VWs 
 Post subject: VWs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:42 pm 
Journeyman Member

As you all may have noticed, I really like VWs. Are there any other "drivers" out there? If so, what's in your garage? Done anything special to it, modifications, etc? I know a lot of people like to lower the suspension. Please share!

I drive a '96 Passat TDI. LOVE that turbo diesel! Everything is pretty much stock, except the sound system. Also added remote start system. Don't recommend them in diesels. The engine doesn't warm up when its really cold at idle. Pretty much defeating the purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:41 pm 
On time out

Ah, I almost dove in on an '06 Jetta TDI in January. Alas, my budget would have had zero room for error in it with the car payment & increased insurance, and that was after eliminating all recreational spending (like guns! :shock: But even movies, fast food, etc. would've been a no-no)... so I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It would've been the first time in my life being in debt too; I don't think I'll like that feeling.

Anyway, it was a really nice ride, so I'm feelin' ya even if I'm not actually a "driver" :oops:

I think the most frustrating part would've been not having money to upgrade the sound system immediately. I mean, gun purchases can be postponed without a ton of pain -- I don't go shooting everyday -- but not having a subwoofer is like being continually tortured -- I'm in a car 1-2 hours a day.

My last car had a Pioneer head unit (actually went through a couple...), some low-end Polk 5x7's in the rear doors, and PBX 5-1/4" rounds + 1" tweeters & crossovers up front on a Pioneer amp. The speaker setup started out with those 5x7's all around, but they just couldn't keep up with the 12" Sony Xplode subwoofer (on a Sony single-channel amp), so I had to upgrade the fronts after a while. BIG difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

The last car I really knew how to fix was one of four or five old-style air-cooled Beetles that I used up, back in the twentieth century. I really enjoyed off-roading those babies. I could drive over/through almost anything, simply because I didn't care if I broke something. I miss that.

Though I have to say, my Saturn's gone 200,000 miles which is almost certainly more miles than I got out of all my Beetles together. And the heater works. And a full-grown human can fit in the back seat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Currently running around in a 2000 Beetle 1.8T . . . bone stock.

In the past, my VDubbage has included:
3 Jettas - one '87 GL, one '89 GLI, one '95 GLS
1 Rabbit - '83
3 Scirocco - one '79, two '81 (one of which was highly, highly modded)
1 Super Beetle - It was brief, wanted to baja it & ended up not.

Not VDubs but related:
1 Porsche 914 - 1975
1 Porsche 944 Turbo - 1986

Right now the debate for next ride is between WRX Station wagon/ VW Jetta wagon 1.8T or Outback/ Passat 4 motion. Trying to decide between a bigger or a smaller wagon and between Subaru and VW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:54 pm 
on probation

Prolix wrote:
I think the most frustrating part would've been not having money to upgrade the sound system immediately.
Hey Prolix I could give you my x-wife and you can mount her in your car and have one hell of a sound system. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:45 pm 
On time out

lastgunshop wrote:
Prolix wrote:
I think the most frustrating part would've been not having money to upgrade the sound system immediately.
Hey Prolix I could give you my x-wife and you can mount her in your car and have one hell of a sound system. :lol:
ROFL.

On a public forum, I like to avoid talking about when I mount women in my car. It's just the gentlemanly thing to do... :wink:

But as far as accessories you can mount on a car, I would like car someday that it would be appropriate for me to put longhorns on again. I'm kind of smitten with Wranglers; I bet a huge set of horns out on the hood would be fun on one of those.

I once had a coworker who recommend WRX as a car that suited me. Never found out if he was correct or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:26 am 
Longtime Regular

At one time, I owned a '63 VW bus with a '67 engine, and, as I found out when I needed to replace it, a 65 voltage regulator. I did routine maintenance on it. When the first oil crisis hit in the 70s, the only effect reduced speed limits had on me was that other cars passed me a bit more slowly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Had an '85 Jetta and a '94 Jetta.

Would love a new GTI.

I wish everyone drooling over the stupid hybrid cars would just buy a VW with the TDI and get 54 mpg and shut their traps about 40 mpg with their ugly-assed Prius.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:58 am 
Journeyman Member

Puttin' it down for German engineering. Representing Deutschland. VeeDub in the haus.. JA!

I have to admit, I love how VW is sticking it to the rice-rockets. But JEEZ... how much cheesier can an ad series get?! I'm semi-ammused by those commercials, although I did get a good chuckle out of the "wrecking ball" one.

But well said. Go TDI. Any car on the market that can match the economy of the TDI, wouldn't stand a chance in a race. It would be sucking that yummy, black diesel exhaust!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:03 pm 

My first car was an 84 GTI. Loved that car. I'd still have it today if I didn't only have a single car garage. Did I mention I loved that car?

I'm presently getting near the end of life on my existing car and am definitely going to look closely at a VW TDI as a possible next vehicle. Was intrigued by hybrids, but as mentioned above, the TDI beats them without the battery stuff, so why bother.

Sitting in my single car garage right now is a 1974 Porsche/VW 914. Needs work to get it on the road again, but as it was my late fathers baby I'd love to finally do that one of these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:45 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I used to work on 914's with a buddy of mine.

Fun little cars - watch out for TTOS (trailing throttle over steer) You can spin one of those in a heartbeat if you are not on them all the time (when driving fast.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Growing up my parents had a VW van with a Porsche engine until 1973. Upper half white and the bottom was blaze orange. Fools traded it and their Mustangs for a pickup and a ford station wagon.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:09 pm 
On time out

edschminke wrote:
Puttin' it down for German engineering. Representing Deutschland. VeeDub in the haus.. JA!

I have to admit... I am smitten by that ad campaign. I think those commercials are hilarious. It's something about the delivery and carriage of that actor (Peter Stormare, if I'm not mistaken; he had good roles in "Minority Report" and "Constantine"), it's just so comical, well-timed.

Now that 'make friends with your fast' campaign... that would make me ashamed to be a VW turbo owner. I'm just sayin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Had an '85 Jetta and a '94 Jetta.

Would love a new GTI.

I wish everyone drooling over the stupid hybrid cars would just buy a VW with the TDI and get 54 mpg and shut their traps about 40 mpg with their ugly-assed Prius.

Man that's better then the Geo Metro I put over 250k miles on. Never felt safe in that car though.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Prolix wrote:
edschminke wrote:

I have to admit... I am smitten by that ad campaign. I think those commercials are hilarious. It's something about the delivery and carriage of that actor (Peter Stormare, if I'm not mistaken; he had good roles in "Minority Report" and "Constantine"), it's just so comical, well-timed.

Now that 'make friends with your fast' campaign... that would make me ashamed to be a VW turbo owner. I'm just sayin'.

Get your unpimpin' fix here http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/02/22/vw-strikes-again-un-pimp-my-ride-videos/

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.