Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 8:37 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 A web site question 
 Post subject: A web site question
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:04 pm 

Sorry, I didn't know where else to ask this.
Why, in the last week or so, have the posts that I have not looked at quit displaying the yellow bell looking thing?
They are all blank like I've already looked at all the posts in that section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Have you logged in? If you have not logged in, you don't get the yellow "new Post" icon. Took me a while to figure that out.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:52 am 

And even if you leave yourself logged in all the time like I do, the login seems to "time out" after a couple of weeks. If I had to guess, I would say the system is setting a cookie to track login status, with an expiration date of two weeks in the future.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:35 am 
Longtime Regular

I would guess the system uses a DB to track last login for a User since it successfully keeps track of my logins across three computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:52 am 
Longtime Regular

thurianknight wrote:
And even if you leave yourself logged in all the time like I do, the login seems to "time out" after a couple of weeks. If I had to guess, I would say the system is setting a cookie to track login status, with an expiration date of two weeks in the future.

TK

Two Weeks! man, I'm lucky is my PC stays logged in to this site for like 20 minutes...

Do you have your browser set to accept cookies?

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:57 am 

Quote:
Do you have your browser set to accept cookies?

Yup. Running Firefox 1.5 on Linux (but the OS shouldn't matter in this case), with browser set to accept cookies from the originating site only.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:51 pm 

thurianknight wrote:

TK

I'll try logging out and logging back in.
Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Whenever I come to the site I am automatically logged in, but there always a number of topics that are marked as "read" which I have not read.

Like this weekend, I was up north all weekend and didn't look at the forum until this AM, yet there are things (like this topic) which had posts yesterday that are marked as "read".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:52 pm 
On time out

I have never had my login expire during my entire membership. I've even set a cookie for this site on both my home PC and a laptop without a problem; both computers remember everything.

I think the big misunderstanding people are suffering from regarding the yellow icon is it's not a mark that there are "unread posts". Like it says at the bottom of the Forum Index page, it indicates "New posts". And apparently it is only new posts since your last visit.

A post can only be new to you once. So if you visit the forum & skip over a thread with the yellow icon, it will "go gray" on you for future visits since it no longer has new posts. It will stay that way until there are more replies to the thread (at which time, voilà!, there are a "New posts" again).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

My log in expires after about 30 minutes of non-use,...it never did that until about 3 weeks ago or so. No other site has this issue, just this one.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.