Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Guardian Angels comming to Minneapolis? 

Will the Guardian Angels make MPLS safer?
Poll ended at Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:12 pm
Yes, they will clean up the city!  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, crime will be reduced a lot.  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, crime will be reduced some.  21%  21%  [ 7 ]
Crime rates will stay about the same.  41%  41%  [ 14 ]
No, crime will continue to increase.  21%  21%  [ 7 ]
No, crime will sky rocket out of control.  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, The Guardian Angels are worse than the gangs.  6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I have no idea, who are these Guardian Angels?  12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 34

Guardian Angels comming to Minneapolis? 
 Post subject: Guardian Angels comming to Minneapolis?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

The news said they (the Guardian Angels) are comming to downtown and then uptown.

Is this a Good or a Bad thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am pretty much already doing that kind of stuff in Uptown. We don't need outsiders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:05 pm 
1911 tainted

This is all for show and the criminals will adapt and move as needed.

We need actual arrests, prosecution, and incarceration of the criminals, not some feel good headline news.

Same as Jessie Jackson, they are basically camera hounds. :roll:

I will have to guess that they will show some impact on the surface, but really will do no long term good.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

That's fine, but I cartainly disapprove if they want to come in from outside, and score on the pool of non-profit money that we could put to better use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's all a show, IMHO. I doubt they can really do much to stop or decrease the overall crime. They are not armed, they are not LEOS, and if anything, they might become a target. Chunk is right, outsiders don't need to traipsing around, showing off. What would be better is IF MPD went to beat cops in certain areas, if anything. Of course, they aren't going to do THAT!!!

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:46 am 
Delicate Flower

BigRobT wrote:
It's all a show, IMHO. I doubt they can really do much to stop or decrease the overall crime. They are not armed, they are not LEOS, and if anything, they might become a target. Chunk is right, outsiders don't need to traipsing around, showing off. What would be better is IF MPD went to beat cops in certain areas, if anything. Of course, they aren't going to do THAT!!!

10-4 :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:42 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

If a group from another state is looking to infiltrate, then word of "Murderapolis" has gotten out again... Maybe it's a slow news time. Interesting...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:52 am 
Longtime Regular

I heard on it on 1500 friday morning that all they are doing is what the residents should be doing and that is taking control of the neighborhood, reporting criminals and their whereabouts.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

The point is, however, we are already doing this. We can benefit from the GA's experiences elsewhere, but we don't need them actually conducting patrols in our neighborhoods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:50 pm 

chunkstyle wrote:
The point is, however, we are already doing this. We can benefit from the GA's experiences elsewhere, but we don't need them actually conducting patrols in our neighborhoods.

You may be part of a group that IS doing this, but many are not. The other big difference is that most of the Angels are trained in some sort of weaponless self-defense, whereas many in the neighborhood watch groups are not.

The Angels were here before, don't forget. What they do is come to a city with an already trained group, recruit members from the new city, and let them take over the chapter.

The big problem with the Angels is the amount of news magnification they receive, wanted or unwanted. Granted, some of them do get a little over zealous, but if the crime wasn't there, they wouldn't be there either.

The Angels coming back is not a terrible thing. Some times things don't work the first time you try them.

Also, I'd rather have a group of Angels watching my neighborhood vs. a group of soccer moms with a couple of us (i.e. guys who give a rats patoot) in the mix.

There are just not enough people that want to get involved, due to fear & apathy. If more groups were invovlved, with more people watching over their neighborhoods, there would already be less crime and the Angels would have no reason to be here.

Just my $.02

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, I got buttonholed by Channel 9 News tonight, on this very issue. You could see me there, in my yellow patrol vest, getting my words twisted by the jackals of the media.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:06 am 

Quote:
Well, I got buttonholed by Channel 9 News tonight, on this very issue. You could see me there, in my yellow patrol vest, getting my words twisted by the jackals of the media.

I missed it, and now I'm curious. What exactly did you say, and how did they twist it? Mis-quote? Mis-interpretation? Out of context?

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Really, I have no idea how the editing played, I didn't see it, either. But the news often get mangled, and Ch. 9 has a less than average record, too. My wife might have taped it, but I haven't been able to look at it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:20 am 
Longtime Regular

I dunno... while I am a pro-carry sort as most people who know me will attest to, I honestly thing the Guardians are a bad influence.

If it was a true "neighborhood watch" group, guys who lived on the block and knew their neighbors, guys who looked out for the guy next door, then it would be okay.

But if I got pepper-sprayed, kicked to the ground, tased, or had a gun pulled on me by some jerkwad in a red beret from two towns over simply because I like to take walks at two in the morning and he didn't know who I was... well... there would be hell to pay.

Keep the outsiders on the outside, and let me look after my own neighbors.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Binky .357 wrote:
But if I got pepper-sprayed, kicked to the ground, tased, or had a gun pulled on me by some jerkwad in a red beret from two towns over simply because I like to take walks at two in the morning and he didn't know who I was... well... there would be hell to pay.

Is there any evidence that this is how the Angels operate?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.