Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Whats the easiest to conceal with the largest caliber? 
 Post subject: Whats the easiest to conceal with the largest caliber?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:06 am 

I know that these two areas will run afoul of each other, but what do you folks carry when going for the best bang for the buck in a deep cover situation. I have a small frame 357 snubby I like to carry, but sometimes thats too big. I have heard of KelTek making some pretty concealable guns, but they have reliability problems. What are your thoughts?...
Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:51 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I believe Kahr made a single stack .45. Very thin. It's only 6+1. You'll want to consider the MK and PM's. The only thing I don't like about these: The trigger is like a glock. No second strike.

Click the image to goto the Kahr Pistols page.
MK in a .40

The smallest .45 that holds 10+1 is the Taurus Millenium Pro (pt-145). I have stubby fingers and it is about as big as my hand. The pt-145 is probably my next pistol. A friend of mine has the .40 (pt-140). These are DAO.

Click the image for the pt-145 specs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

See my avatar, 3" S&W 629 .44 mag. It will actually conceal under a T shirt. Big Bang for the buck but overkill in most situations. It's normally my woods carry gun.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

IMHO, the Glock 29 in 10mm Automatic is the best size/power compromise.

Virtually the same size as the Taurus mentioned above (same width, smaller height and only .75 longer in the slide), but 50% more power than the .45 ACP, and still 10+1. 15+1 if you want to use G20 mags with it (they make a functional grip extender that covers the G20 mag that sticks out).

I like the 3" 629, but it's a lot longer and heavier. A great backpacking gun for the really big bears. Although I'd wager it'd take us at least half a bottle of Mezcal to decide whether you want 11 rounds of 10mm vs. just 6 of .44 mag...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:32 pm 

I have a soft spot for the 9mm. It look like I will run out and see what fits my hand best. I am a bit on the large side, 6'5" real big hands. (sideline...If anyone knows a place to get shoes in size 15 and up that don't look like they were rejected by Frankenstein I would appreciate the tip.) I think I will look at the PT111 Mellenium Pro in 9. I know of a local source that has them for $264.99. I'll follow up with a review if and when I buy one.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:46 pm 

simian12 wrote:
I have a soft spot for the 9mm. It look like I will run out and see what fits my hand best. I am a bit on the large side, 6'5" real big hands. (sideline...If anyone knows a place to get shoes in size 15 and up that don't look like they were rejected by Frankenstein I would appreciate the tip.) I think I will look at the PT111 Mellenium Pro in 9. I know of a local source that has them for $264.99. I'll follow up with a review if and when I buy one.
Mike

There is actually a shoe store at Chicago and Lake in Mpls that specializes in large-sized shoes. It is about 3 doors down from "the last gunshop" in Mpls as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:45 pm 
Delicate Flower

simian12 wrote:
Mike

I have a 9mm Millenium PT111(Not a pro) Fits well in the hand. Comes up "on target" for me nicely. Mark @ LGS set me up with extra mags and the Pearce grip ext. for the mags. Great price and installed. Nice package.....need to figure out the holster part yet. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:13 am 

Thanks Goalie...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

A Kel-tec P11 with 10 or 12 rounds of 9mm or a Kel-tec P40 sames size as P11 but in 40S&W.

My P11 is one of my carry guns and is double stacked.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:03 am 
Longtime Regular

If your pockets are deep enough, an H&K P7M13 in a IWB with a Glaser in the pipe and Winchester Silvertips in the mag. Not a bad combo.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:30 pm 
Journeyman Member

Hi Mike,

If you are looking for some thing smaller than a .357 snubby I don’t think the PT111 will get you there. Depending on the model you have the PT111 will be about the same size or larger, however it will be thinner.

To go smaller & stay with the 9mm, I think you are left looking at the Kahr MK and PM's, or the Rohrbaugh R9s.

If you want to drop down to the .380 you can add the NAA Guardian, Seecamp, & Kel-Tec’s.

Of all of these the only ones I can speak about personally are the Kel-Tec’s
In the .380 crowd Kel-Tec’s can not be beat for the same size & weight. Both the Guardian & Seecamp are metal frame guns & don’t come close in weight.

As far as the reliability of Kel-Tec’s go I have 4 of them 1 P32 & 3 P3ATs (well the wife has 1 of those). Of the 4 of them, 3 run like tops out of the box, 1 need to be returned to Kel-Tec for warranty work & now runs great.

Dorian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:41 pm 
Journeyman Member

Selurcspi wrote:
If your pockets are deep enough, an H&K P7M13 in a IWB with a Glaser in the pipe and Winchester Silvertips in the mag. Not a bad combo.

Selurcspi,

That is a nice choice, but are you using a Del Fatti IWB?

Dorian

Post subject: Re: Whats the easiest to conceal with the largest caliber?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:44 pm 
The Man

simian12 wrote:
I know that these two areas will run afoul of each other, but what do you folks carry when going for the best bang for the buck in a deep cover situation. I have a small frame 357 snubby I like to carry, but sometimes thats too big. I have heard of KelTek making some pretty concealable guns, but they have reliability problems. What are your thoughts?...
Thanks,
Mike

It's a good question. The way to start off, I think, is to assume that a J-Frame is too large for your specs -- see above.

In that case, I'd recommend the KelTec P3AT (after putting a few hundred rounds through it; mine's been just fine, but some folks have to send theirs to the manufacturer to get made reliable) at the small end, and probably the Kahr PM9 at the large end.

But let's not go so fast -- it may be that your real problem with the snubby is that it's too heavy, not too large. In that case, my usual recommendation of a S&W 642 might be spot on.

The real question is how you're going to carry it. In a pocket holster, the Kahr or the snubby might be a bit on the large size, depending on the pockets. But if you go for Thunderwear or Smartcarry, you're very unlikely to have trouble with either.

(I like pocket holsters better, myself, for the obvious reasons -- but it's real, real hard to beat either Twear or Scarry for concealment.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dorian wrote:
Selurcspi wrote:

Selurcspi,

That is a nice choice, but are you using a Del Fatti IWB?

Dorian

No I have one that was custom made in Germany. It's tricky yo find a holster that is relieved for the mag release.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.