Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Reloading 101? 
 Post subject: Reloading 101?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:32 am 

I really enjoyed the holster session I went to (though I still haven't finished it) and I was wondering if a similar thing has ever been organized for reloading. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for information about how its done, what is the right way, what a good setup is, etc....

Post subject: Re: Reloading 101?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:50 am 

hypertech wrote:
I really enjoyed the holster session I went to (though I still haven't finished it) and I was wondering if a similar thing has ever been organized for reloading. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for information about how its done, what is the right way, what a good setup is, etc....

+1 on that. I'm definitely interested in learning how to reload, equipment needed, etc but am not sure where to start, etc. Anyone?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:29 am 

I'd be interested as well. I inherited my dads reloading stuff and need to know how to use it. (There is a LOT)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:49 am 

I've got a DVD I purchased a while ago "Introduction to Handgun Reloading" by Sierra. It's a few hours long, and goes through the steps for reloading handgun ammunition on both standard reloading machine, including all the various equipment needed (and WHY it's needed).

I can loan it to you or you can buy it from Midway.

Perhaps we should consider creating a library of references for forum members?

Clay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:20 am 
Longtime Regular

The one problem with having a "reloading session" is the potential for mixing primers, powders and projectiles, not to mention the distractions a group would provide.

Perhaps if everyone wanted to get together and form a production line for one kind of load with only one type of primer, powder and prjectile available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:36 am 

It would certainly be reasonable to only run one load to teach the method.

I was more interested in learning the ins and outs of how to do it than leaving with a bunch of reloads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:47 am 
Longtime Regular

I'll be one of the first to volunteer my time and place to help out with this, but I do need to get a bit more finished in my basement first AND it would be wise to have a master reloader with too, and there are quite a few on this board and the other that come to mind...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:05 pm 

ttreml3 wrote:
I'd be interested as well. I inherited my dads reloading stuff and need to know how to use it. (There is a LOT)

I'm more or less with you on this one. I just got some reloading stuff, and now need to learn how to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:16 pm 

hypertech wrote:
I was more interested in learning the ins and outs of how to do it than leaving with a bunch of reloads.

+1

I'd like to know the ins and outs of reloading, not to mention hardware recommendations for a press, etc.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would join in for a 38/357 reloading session!

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
I would join in for a 38/357 reloading session!

Kind of what I was thinking, pretty simple to setup, common as goose poop on a parkway and fairly forgiving. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:00 am 

How about one or two people 'lead' the class. There are lots of us here that are interested in reloading, but have never really done it.

One weekend, gather a few presses in somebodies garage and have one or two people dicuss the differences between single stage, turret, and progressive, how they operate, and show the steps. More of a lecture than a lab. Depending on how many people show up, maybe have them step through the steps one at a time: I get my case, lube, resize, trim, primer, powder, bullet, done. Then it's ttreml3's time to go through the steps.

Because of safety concerns and chances for distraction maybe use inert materials. Use oil-soaked primers and something other than powder, maybe cleaning media or something.

That way those of us new to the hobby can see how it's done, maybe give it a shot, and all in a safe environment.

Maybe do two sessions, one for pistol and one for rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Sportsman's Warehouse used to have a monthly reloading seminar, but I don't see one on their calender.

Ron at Ammocraft has done them in the past too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:33 am 
Journeyman Member

DeanC wrote:
Sportsman's Warehouse used to have a monthly reloading seminar, but I don't see one on their calender.

Ron at Ammocraft has done them in the past too.

I attended the one at Sportsman's Warehouse in May. They still do them every month as far as I know. It was not really a demo as much as a discussion and overview of the equipment.
The instructor was primarily knowlegible in Rifle reloading. He had never loaded handgun cartridges.
An interesting class, but very high level without much detail.
On the other hand, they were very helpful and willing to answer a lot of general questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:40 am 

I have yet to bring my dads stuff home so I am a few months out from actually reloading. I would be very interested in the sort of thing meltedeyes is talking about though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.