Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Shiny ejector mark even on factory loads 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:45 am 
Longtime Regular

If it is found to be loose. You will need a set of headspace guages, a barrel nut wrench and an action vise to reset the headspace. It can be done at home if your careful. Be prudent clamping the action so you do not distort it. A gunsmith can set the headspace on a Savage pretty easily if they have the tools.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:47 am 
Journeyman Member

cobb wrote:
crshooter wrote:
Now I wonder if the barrel is backing out, causing the scope to lean and a headspace problem.

Maybe backing out, but I kinda doubt it. Besides, the scope is mounted to the receiver, not the barrel, so the barrel turning would not cant the scope.

Ok now I feel stupid. You're right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

crshooter wrote:
Ok now I feel stupid.

Not at all. I was picturing the same thing as I read your comment. Then I pictured in my head remounting the scope and thought, "Wait a minute..."
I was going to ask what type of scope mount, two piece, bridge etc. when the light came on. I edited my answer and then read Cobbs remark! heh heh

Must remember to proofread before hitting submit.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:28 am 
Journeyman Member

Has anyone used Rogers gunsmithing in Coon Rapids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:31 am 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
The primers actually look normal for a .308, especially with Federal primers. They are softer than Win or CCI.

Thanks! So I was right? They are little flat, but it is nothing out of the ordinary?

I've never used match ammo and I usually use CCI or Winchester primers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:40 am 
Longtime Regular

I used Federal primers for some .338 Win Mag I was working up. Even at starting loads I was getting those flattened primer signs. I didn't dare back off on my loads, so I tried some Win primers with the same loads and I was able to work up to book max. and still didn't get the same primer sign.

Yep, you were right. That's a reason I would not use Federal primers in any reloads for a gun that has an unsprung firing pin.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

That is a good reason to not use Fed primers. It's better than Richard Lee's breathless "dangerous" Fed primer explanation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
That is a good reason to not use Fed primers. It's better than Richard Lee's breathless "dangerous" Fed primer explanation.

? Do tell please.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Next time you are at Gunstop, go over to the bookshelf and find the Lee Reloading manual. Richard Lee expounds on how "dangerous" Federal primers are and that they should never, ever be used in his equipment. Methinks he doth protest too much.

From the Lee Website:

Quote:
Primer Brand Warning

We recommend only Winchester and CCI primers be used in the Auto Prime because Federal and Remington primers pose a potential danger to the operator. In testing, we found that the latter two brands of primers almost always chain detonated if the primer being seated was accidentally set off. A primer going off near your hand can be compared to an M-80 firecracker.

When a full tray of primers explode, it does so with enough force to cause injury to the operator and anyone else standing within a ten foot radius.

The older Improved priming tool and our current production Ram-Prime only accept one primer at a time, so this hazard did not apply.

We take no position as to the quality of primers and mention this only because of the increased danger of chain detonation with some brands only.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ahh thanks. I do not have a Lee reloading book. Curious that he should make quite a big deal out that when my others do not. Perhaps there is a problem with the Auto Prime?

Does anyone here use one? It certainly looks to operate in a similar manner to the RCBS or Hornady, etc.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just search "Richard Lee Federal Primers" on Google and you'll see that most people think he's a blowhard and it's just a vendetta against Federal. Many people use Federal primers in Lee equipment with no adverse results.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

heh heh :) I was just doing that and see that few of the posts take it seriously.

I did try and arrange to get my machine shop class a tour through Federal, but was turned down. Maybe the same happened to Richard Lee? :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm 

crshooter wrote:
Ok, I called Savage and they want me to take it to a local gunsmith to have the headspace checked.
Can anyone recommend a good on in the North Metro area or around St. Louis Park?

I've heard very good things about Territorial Gunsmiths in Hopkins, 952-931-9451.

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:13 am 
Journeyman Member

Well, I sent it back to Savage. I think the ejector marks were due to firing with a wet chamber after cleaning the bore, but I would like them to remove the burrs in the chamber.
Thanks for all the help.
Jeff

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.