Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Attitudes of Gun Shops in Cities? 
 Post subject: Attitudes of Gun Shops in Cities?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:09 pm 

What is the deal with the attitude at gun shops in the cities? I have visited three gun shops in the Cities area, which will remain unnamed. At one, a reasonably small one where everyone in the room could be seen at all times by the staff, I looked and wandered for thirty minutes without anyone offering any help at all. Very occasionally an employee would appear behind the desk, only to be gone again before I could get there to ask for help. I never was able to even hold a gun, far less ask questions of a knowledgeable staff member. At the second one (Cabelas--OK, I said I wouldn't name them but there is no excuse for rudeness) the guy actually got rude with me when I asked to see about the third or fourth gun from behind the counter. "Now are you actually going to buy this one or not?" he said very sternly to me before he turned to get it. At the third place I went, one customer had the knowledgeable guy tied up the entire thirty minutes I was at the counter, so they finally called for extra help and the guy who showed up knew nothing whatsoever about the guns he showed me--sadly, I knew more than he did. and that's not alot. I have come pretty close to despairing as to where to ask questions about specific models and buy one! Let me say that I am a reasonably successful and intelligent guy in my 50s, so it is not like they think they are dealing with a kid here, though they have certainly treated me like a kid. Geez! What is a newby to do?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:22 pm 

Tell em exactly what you think and take your business elsewhere. I have had good luck at most places except Bills in Robinsdale, and the gun shop down in Lakeville across the highway from Gander Mountain. I Can't remember thier name, but same experience, wasn't a "regular" so I got ignored.
Have a great weekend,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've been treated well at GunStop and Frontiersman. If you haven't visited these, you oughta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I've been treated well at GunStop and Frontiersman. If you haven't visited these, you oughta.

I'd second both of those (though I've only succeeded in actually <i>finding</i> GunStop once.)

I think there might be more variation between individual employees than between stores — except of course the places where the owner is the only employee. Those guys are always jerks, but they know what they're talking about.;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm 

Pat Cannon wrote:
I think there might be more variation between individual employees than between stores — except of course the places where the owner is the only employee. Those guys are always jerks, but they know what they're talking about.;)

I was waiting for someone to bring up Mark's shop :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Attitudes of Gun Shops in Cities?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:16 am 
on probation

cmj685 wrote:
What is the deal with the attitude at gun shops in the cities? I have visited three gun shops in the Cities area, which will remain unnamed. At one, a reasonably small one where everyone in the room could be seen at all times by the staff, I looked and wandered for thirty minutes without anyone offering any help at all. Very occasionally an employee would appear behind the desk, only to be gone again before I could get there to ask for help. I never was able to even hold a gun, far less ask questions of a knowledgeable staff member. At the second one (Cabelas--OK, I said I wouldn't name them but there is no excuse for rudeness) the guy actually got rude with me when I asked to see about the third or fourth gun from behind the counter. "Now are you actually going to buy this one or not?" he said very sternly to me before he turned to get it. At the third place I went, one customer had the knowledgeable guy tied up the entire thirty minutes I was at the counter, so they finally called for extra help and the guy who showed up knew nothing whatsoever about the guns he showed me--sadly, I knew more than he did. and that's not alot. I have come pretty close to despairing as to where to ask questions about specific models and buy one! Let me say that I am a reasonably successful and intelligent guy in my 50s, so it is not like they think they are dealing with a kid here, though they have certainly treated me like a kid. Geez! What is a newby to do?!
Well I try to help all and sometimes do to whats going on here my mood is not nice sometime. If you came in to my shop and I was a ass hole I'm sorry :cry: If you want come by for a pop on the house.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:18 am 
Longtime Regular

gaygoalie wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:

I was waiting for someone to bring up Mark's shop :wink:

Har har har.

I've been treated VERY well at Mark's shop. And that <strike>jerk</strike> fellow sure knows what he's talking about! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:01 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Har har har.

I've been treated VERY well at Mark's shop. And that <strike>jerk</strike> fellow sure knows what he's talking about! :D

oh yeah.. I spend quite a bit of time there, and I also teach a course there 8)

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Last edited by gaygoalie on Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:22 am 

OK, but for those of us not in the know, who is Mark and where is his shop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:26 am 

cmj685 wrote:
OK, but for those of us not in the know, who is Mark and where is his shop?

http://www.creditcardshotgun.com has details..

here's a map http://tinyurl.com/858b7

He's the last gun shop in Minneapolis

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:13 pm 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:

I have been in Mark's shop in the past, but this was before the current carry law was passed, and being from Mankato, I had been there only a few times. I thought I was treated as a customer should be, Mark surely wasn't lacking in conversation. Then more recently I went into Marks shop, introduced myself and I don't think he had a clue as to who I was. Then I threw in the I was cobb on twincitiescarry.com, and maybe putting a face on the name helped.
Again, I am from Mankato, have only been in Mark's shop but a few times and never purchased a single item. But I was still treated as person would be expected to be treated and also had some interesting conversation with Mark.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:51 am 
Delicate Flower

cobb wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

I have been in Mark's shop in the past, but this was before the current carry law was passed, and being from Mankato, I had been there only a few times. I thought I was treated as a customer should be, Mark surely wasn't lacking in conversation. Then more recently I went into Marks shop, introduced myself and I don't think he had a clue as to who I was. Then I threw in the I was cobb on twincitiescarry.com, and maybe putting a face on the name helped.
Again, I am from Mankato, have only been in Mark's shop but a few times and never purchased a single item. But I was still treated as person would be expected to be treated and also had some interesting conversation with Mark.

He knew who you were........we all do.........it's part of a conspiracy to ......well never mind you wouldn't understand. :P :P Anyway, I always find it a good time visiting Mark. Generally has the answers and will take the time to explain things. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:26 pm 
on probation

ttousi wrote:
He knew who you were........we all do.........it's part of a conspiracy to ......well never mind you wouldn't understand. :P :P Anyway, I always find it a good time visiting Mark. Generally has the answers and will take the time to explain things. :)
Damm ttousi you was NOT to talk about that "conspiracy" to anyone...........The CIA and us was making headway with him........... :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:51 pm 
Journeyman Member

Only been to Mark's a few times, but always an enjoyable experience.

Most of the Gander guys have been helpful and usually seem to know what's going on. Same for Frontiersman. Ahlman's in Morristown is worth the trip. You have to check out their smith shop!

Don't get me started on Bill's.... :evil:

NRA Life
JFPFO Life
GOA Life

Post subject: Bad experience in Robbinsdale too!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:16 pm 

Apparently being rude and ignorant must be a part of the training over at that shop in Robbinsdale (trying not to say the name but I bet you know who I'm talking about). A couple months ago I stopped in to see what they had in stock. I knew the minute I walked into the store that something felt strange. There were three gentlemen in the store talking to the sales person working. All of a sudden when I walked they stopped talking and it got ackwordly quiet...literally silent. I smiled and said hello to each and every person around the counter. The response I got was "Do you plan on buying anything"? Taken back I say to the clerk "If the mood strikes me". The three gentlemen chuckled at my reply. I walked around the store about 20 minutes, the whole time being watched every step of the way. At this point I thought maybe engaging the clerk in conversation would lighten the mood a bit. I asked him if they had a H&K USP 40 in stainless? His response was "Do you see one in the case". I laughed and replied "Obviously, I see with your attitude, you guys aren't in the business of selling guns". He and his buddy had another laugh. At this point, It was time to go! As I headed towards the door one of the gentleman standing around asked me if I knew how much the H&K's cost. I replied to him "yes, I do". Laughing he said "maybe YOU may want to look something cheaper, that why you can just throw it in the Mississippi after the crime". Being calm as usual, I smiled at the gentlemen and said "I think I will spend $800.00 at another gun shop that values their customers and making money" As I was walking out the door the clerk yelled out something to the manner of don't forget you need a permit to buy a gun...that means you can't have a criminal record. Again, they shared a laugh! Needless to say I was not very happy with my experience. However, this doesn't surprise me! I was marked the moment I walked in the door. I simply jumped on gunbroker.com and got my USP 40c for $200.00 less then I could have gotten from this shop any way. I will never again step foot in that shop again. But hey knowledge is power![/i]

Yes it's true, I'm a liberal, ex military, gun carrying, large african american man in Minnesota!!! Don't fear me, hate me or think i'm a rarity. Treat me and mine with the respect and common decency I have commited to give to you and yours!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.